Winds of Change

I was sitting in my seat at the American Place Theatre when I noticed the woman next to me scribbling Asian characters on a notepad.

This was 1999 and I was attending a performance of The Winds of God, Masayuki Imai’s astonishing play about two bargain basement comedians in modern day Japan who are hurled through time and reincarnated as kamikaze pilots in the waning days of World War II.

Imai was the author, star, and director of the show, and he was brilliant in every category.

Beautifully staged, The Winds of God is a powerful statement about the scourge of war and the curse of fanaticism that drives men to blindly throw their lives away for meaningless causes.

Covid-19 has brought the curtain down on theater as we know it. I miss the plays themselves, of course, but I also miss the whole theater experience, including interacting with the other people in the audience.

I’ve always found it so easy to talk to people sitting around me in a theater and this night was no exception.

And to be honest, this woman was pretty cute and I was looking for any excuse to talk to her, horndog that I am, so seeing her making notes gave me an opportunity.

“Are you a reporter?” I asked, assuming she was a critic for a Japanese newspaper.

“No,” she said, “I’m their English instructor. None of the actors on that stage understand English—they’re all speaking their lines phonetically.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. While the actors did speak with accents, they seemed to understand what they were saying.

And they sure as hell acted that way.

This young woman—I’m so sorry that I’ve forgotten her name—told me that she attended the show every night to review their language skills and suggest ways they could improve.

“How are they doing?” I asked.

“Well,” she said after a slight pause. “They’re getting better.”

They were doing great as far as I was concerned. And Imai also used the small stage effectively to tell his story.

At one point, two characters get ready to have a foot race. I couldn’t imagine how they were going to do it without looking ridiculous.

On the Town

But just the race starts, the lights went down, a spotlight lit up the actors as they “run” in slow motion, displaying such incredible control over their muscles that it looked like a slo-mo sports clip.

At the end of the play, I told the instructor how much I had enjoyed myself and how impressed I was with Imai’s talent. And then she caught me flat footed.

“Do you want to meet him?” she asked.

Me? Meet the playwright? I was worried for a moment that I had somehow given this woman the wrong impression, making her think that I was some big media whiz, when nothing could’ve been further from the truth.

And I almost said no, as I so often do when confronted with something different. But then I figured, what the hell? She had been kind enough to make the offer, so let’s make it happen.

Imai and the rest of the cast were standing by the door, thanking and bowing to audience members as they left.

I don’t remember much of what I said to him, after all this time, beyond praising the show, but I have to say it was a real trip speaking through a translator.

And he had no trouble understanding my last question.

“Are you enjoying New York?”

“Oh, yes,” he said, nodding his head vigorously. “Much energy here.”

I thanked Imai and the translator for a great night at the theater and went home.

And just two years later New York was ripped apart by a group of fanatics who crashed jetliners into the World Trade Center. It looks like we still have a lot to learn.

In researching this post, I googled Imai’s name yesterday and I was heartbroken to learn that he died in 2015 from colorectal cancer.

He was just 54 years old.

Masayuki Imai did several revivals of The Winds of God over the years and even shot a film version in 2006.

I’ve only seen a few clips on YouTube, and while the movie version certainly looks intriguing, nothing could match the experience I had on that wonderful night.

Comments

Bijoux said…
What a great memory that is! And so amazing when people are able to speak a language phonetically like that. It blows my mind, to be honest. So sad to hear of the playwright’s death. That’s one of those unfortunate aspects of the worldwide web.
Rob K said…

Hey, Bijoux!

Isn't that incredible? I couldn't believe the actors didn't speak English when the translator told me. It was quite an evening!

Take care.

Ron said…
Wow, Rob, how is it that I've never heard of the play "Winds of God?!"

"I miss the plays themselves, of course, but I also miss the whole theater experience, including interacting with the other people in the audience."

OMG....MEEEEEE too! And as an actor who performed primarily onstage, I can tell you that for the actor/actress, live theater is like no other experience because it's "in the moment", so each performance is different. Because each audience is different.

And oh, what a wonderful and magical experience that you got to meet Imai and the rest of the cast. So sorry to hear how his early death.

Aren't Japanese the most lovely of people? They are always so gracious, kind, and modest.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Being that I'm a theater-lover, I really enjoyed it.

Have a super week, buddy!

PS: This post caused me to remember a time when I was in a play and portrayed a Spaniard who spoke Spanish onstage. I too had to learn to speak it phonetically. I learned it from a language coach they hired for the play.
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron!

I knew you'd get a kick out of this one.

And you have firsthand experience with speaking a different language phonetically--that's fantastic!

I can't imagine how challenging that must've been for you and I know you must've kicked butt in that part!

The cast members were all so lovely and the house was small and intimate so the drama came to life up close and personal.

It was an amazing night and, while I mourn for the playwright, I feel blessed and lucky to have met him and seen his work.

Take care, buddy!

Jay said…
That play sounds really interesting. I can sing a few songs in Sardo (Sardinian) and have only a vague idea of the meaning of the words - I just love the sound of the language - so I know that phonetic learning is possible, but to learn a whole play like that is pretty impressive!
Rob K said…
Hey, Jay, what do you say?

Sometimes with songs, the meaning of the words doesn't matter. You are drawn to the mood of the music.

There was a song known as "Sukiyaki" to Western audiences that became a huge hit in the Sixties despite being entirely in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35DrtPlUbc

And btw, I will be calling you from New York in the near future and I fully expect you to sing some Sardo songs for me!

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected