Our Home and Native Land

Gyms are slowly reopening in New York, but my favorite fitness classes are still out of commission.

Fortunately, I have the CCC to back me up.

No, I’m not talking about Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal Civilian Conservation Corps. I’m referring to the Canadian Covid Coaches.

Ever since the coronavirus clobbered life as we knew it back in March, I have been scouring YouTube in search of exercise routines to stay in condition.

My boxing class had been my main source of cardio for years and I never paid much attention to boxing videos because I didn’t think I would ever need them.

Enter the plague.

I also like strength training and qigong, a fantastic Chinese exercise discipline that works out the spirit the way boxing works up a sweat.

I’ve been very lucky to find a series of great videos that cover all of these areas. But I’ve noticed that several of my YouTube instructors have something in common.

They’re…Canadians.

Yes, Canadians. They look like us…the sound like us (almost)…but they’re not us.

How did this happen? Is it just a coincidence or it is some twisted plot to take over America through fitness videos?

Fortunately, I don’t give a rat’s ass. My Canadian Covid Coaches are keeping me sane in an insane time and that’s all I care about.

Here are a few examples:

Toronto-based Nate Bower is my go-to guy for boxing workouts. He puts together tough routines where he mixes shadow boxing and calisthenics. He’s articulate, knowledgeable, and his videos look great.

Jason Van Veldhuysen at Precision Striking is another online boxing coach, and another Toronto resident. In fact, he and Nate Bower have worked together on a couple of videos.

I recently subscribed to Gabriel Varga’s channel. He’s kickboxer who works out of Vancouver and I’m particularly fond of his video on basic punches.

Downtown T-O!

“Basics win fights,” he reminds us at the start of the video.

As far as strength-building, I have limited access to free weights and machines due to the shutdown and I’m reluctant to buy any more stuff to clutter my apartment.

However, I’ve been enjoying doing bodyweight exercises, such as push-ups, squats, and dips.

I’ve also discovered animal flow routines, which are designed improve strength and mobility.

With that in mind, I subscribed to a channel call Move with Mya, a lovely young woman who teaches animal flow routines.

Mya is flat out adorable. She’s funny, she uses these silly sound effects, but she knows what she’s talking about. She calls her followers “winjas”, which I believe is a mash up of “winner” and “ninja.”

I didn’t even realize she was Canadian until I watched a video she made around Thanksgiving that she said would appeal to American viewers who had eaten too much.

I follow several qigong instructors on YouTube, but one my very favorites happens to be Jeffery Chand, who has an acupuncture clinic in Victoria and runs a great channel called Think Vitality.

He often starts the session by saying “eliminate what is unnecessary,” which is great advice that goes beyond exercise.

Ever since Donald Trump grabbed democracy by the pussy, I’ve been thinking of leaving the United States--along with a hell of a lot of other people.

I have friends in England and Australia and both of these countries are incredibly appealing to me.

However, I’m wondering in all these YouTubers might be pointing the way north. I had a great time in Toronto seven years ago and I think I could get used to the winters.

I’m not sure what my plans are, especially since the coronavirus shows no sign of letting up.

But if I ever do go full Oh-Canada, it’s nice to know I’ll have a great team waiting for me.

Comments

Ron said…
Rob, I don't know if you remember a post I shared many years ago, but it highlighted Canadians and how so much creativity comes from there (photographer, artists, musicians, etc.), so I'm not at all surprised that you found many fitness videos from there as well.

I've never been to Canada, but it's a place I feel like I need to visit.

"However, I’ve been enjoying doing bodyweight exercises, such as push-ups, squats, and dips."

I too have been doing exercises such as those. I've also been doing "isolation exercises", which have helped in firming and strengthening various parts of my body.

I definitely will check out Moving with Mya, because animal flow routines sound like something I would enjoy, such as the way cats stretch and flex.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, insights and video discoveries, buddy!

Have a faaaaaaaaaabulous week!
Bijoux said…
I think my days of long walks are numbered, so I might be hitting the screen, too! I will keep Mya in mind! And I love Toronto. When this pandemic is over, there are a number of places I want to visit in Canada. The best part is that driving is an option if all these airlines go under.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux!

Ah, yes, my favorite phrase: "when this pandemic is over..."! Oy, how we all long for that day?

And, yes, there are plenty of places in Canada I'd like to see, as well, particularly British Columbia.

Here's hoping!

Take care.
Rob K said…
@Ron!

Hey, buddy, what's up?

Excellent point! Canada sends us plenty of creative types and so many American shows and films have been shot in Vancouver and Toronto.

The isolation exercises sound intense and you might like Mya. If nothing else, I'll you get a kick out of her!

Take care!
Glad to read that you have found online training sessions, Rob. We are fortunate to have 2 gym areas and an indoor pool in the mill apartment complex we call home in Nashua, NH. All were closed for several months but have since reopened. Unfortunately, I have been slow in returning, but since we’ve been going on outdoor day adventures at least we are moving.

As for your thoughts about possibly relocating, I have been to Toronto and a couple of other places in Canada and enjoyed them. That said, with the borders still closed it will be awhile before anyone is traveling there again.

Glad you found some things that are working for you.
Rob K said…

Hey, Beatrice!

Sounds like a nice set-up in the apartment complex. My gym has reopened but I'm a little nervous and I've working out at home or--ideally--in the park whenever possible.

Outdoor day adventures are great and now I love doing my workouts outdoors. Of course that could be a problem in Canada...

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected