Invoking Tony

(Bloggers, friends, and countrymen, lend me your minds.

Today my dear friend Josephine Mori will guest-blogging on the LPG. Josephine is a talented writer, editor, and all-around fabulous human being. Please do give her a read.)

A writer buddy and I had been noodling a short story, ping ponging segments between us. It became a game and went on for a couple years.

Finally, we finished it. Buddy remarks it has graphic novel potential. Not what you say to a devoted text jockey. Quivers down my back bone, tremors in my thighbone.

I placate and misdirect. But every so often buddy tweaks me about it. Like some Word doc. Jaws, the story won’t go away.

Then, a bizarre thing happens—-a Facebook friend request from one Tony Talbert. We have no mutual friends, groups or pages.

Yet somehow it doesn’t vibe the usual spurious friend requests we all get.

Curious, I look him up and turns out he’s a fantastic artist: fine art and comic book art. Tony and I connect.

Next time the graphic novel shark circles, I ingenuously mention my new friend to buddy.

Buddy triumphs “It’s magic!”, insists I ask Tony if he’ll consider a collaboration.

No way, thinks I, but we send a synopsis and, you guessed it, Tony says he’s up for exploring the project.

I’m only telling you this because it’s Halloween.

The veil is thin. Watch your casual surfing. You might get sucked into yet another parallel universe.

Because that’s where I am, having invoked Tony.

Josephine Mori is a freelance writer and New York City expat. She is co-author of Tarot of the Sephiroth and Guide to Tarot of the Sephiroth, tarot deck and book set, and honorary deputy editor of Indymag - The Magazine for Indiana Jones Fans.

Tony Talbert is an American artist and illustrator of the Xeric Award winning graphic novel First Moon. A featured contributor to numerous comic book series, his fine art has been showcased in The Roll Up Gallery in San Francisco.

Comments

Ironskymonkey said…
Jo is the most uncelebrated celebrity that I’ve been fortunate enough to meet, and Tony also casts a large shadow. I’min constant awe as I walk with giants
Ironskymonkey said…
And don’t call me “Buddy”, I had already given you permission to use my real name. Dork
Ron said…
Rob, what a great story about all this came about! Sounds like something I'd enjoy, too! I will definitely check out Josephine's FB page.

Thanks for sharing, buddy!
Bijoux said…
It’s nice when the internet can work for good.
Rob K said…
Thank you all so much for your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected