Stay Make-Believing

I watched a certain YouTube video three times in a row this morning and I could watch it a thousand times more.

During this plague year of isolation and social distancing, it’s important to stay in touch with people.

To that end, I recently reconnected with my cousin’s wonderful daughter, Lucy, whom I met back in 2009 when I visited my cousin Pat and her family in Santa Fe.

I had a blast during that visit, but we hadn’t spoken in a while, so it was great to get the latest news on the New Mexico bunch.

Last week, at my sister’s suggestion, I emailed Lucy a bunch of photos I had taken of her during my visit.

Lucy wrote back to tell me that she is putting her creative energy into a music project, which she kindly shared with me.

In the video, Lucy sings a song called “Hideaway” from an animated film called Wonder Park, which I confess I haven't seen.

The song pretty much tells the story of my life as it celebrates the joys of avoiding adulthood at all costs.

So let's just play pretend and find a secret place,” the song tells us, “When the world around us says that we should act our age, the day is gonna come when there's no time left to waste; but we'll never grow up, I say we hide away.”

Lucy uses the song as a tribute to Bill Watterson’s fabulous comic strip Calvin and Hobbes and it works perfectly.

Often called “the last great newspaper comic,” Calvin and Hobbes follows the adventures of a the mischievous six-year-old boy Calvin, and his stuffed tiger Hobbes, who comes to life when no one else is around.

Make Our Great Escape

Watterson reportedly came up with the idea for the strip while working at an advertising job he had hated.

At the height of its popularity Calvin and Hobbes was featured in over 2,400 newspapers worldwide.

I’ve always had a fondness for this strip as it celebrates the wonders of a child’s imagination. And Lucy brilliantly uses the song and images from the comic for her video.

I actually had tears in my eyes watching Lucy perform.

I was amazed to see how much she had grown since the last time I saw her and I couldn’t believe how quickly 11 years had slipped away.

This country has taken a very dark turn and we’re heading into what could very well be the worst winter in our history as Covid-19, the flu, and political strife converge into one horrendous symphony.

When Lucy sings “stay make-believing, we’ll go disappearing,” all I can say is “Amen, sister!”

Obviously, we can’t live in the land of make believe forever. But the next best thing is to be grateful for every single day and stay close to the ones we love, pandemic be damned.

Bill Watterson ended Calvin and Hobbes 25 years ago, saying that he didn’t want the strip “to coast into halfhearted repetition, as so many long-running strips do."

He relocated to—wait for it—Santa Fe, at least for a while, but he has since reportedly returned to his native Ohio, where he keeps a low profile.

The final Calvin and Hobbes strip ran on December 31, 1995, where we see are two heroes standing outside admiring the freshly fallen snow.

“It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!" Calvin says, as they took off on their sled.

Yes, it is. And, yes, we must.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I admit I’ve never stopped to read a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. I have passed over the comics section as an adult, which is really quite sad when I think about it, so thanks for the story behind the strip! I’m so glad you were able to reconnect with your cousin’s family. Lucy sounds like a person we need more of right now.
Ron said…
"I’ve always had a fondness for this strip as it celebrates the wonders of a child’s imagination. "

And me as well, Rob! I loved it because although it seemed as though it was intended for children, I felt that it was something that adults could also (if not more) relate to.

And I have to say that I too had tears watching Lucy perform. Not only does she have a beautiful voice, but there is also some extra-special about her delivery.

It's song such as this, as well as "The Rainbow Connection" that reminds us to "stay make-believing" and childlike.

Beautiful post, buddy! And thanks so much for sharing the talent of Lucy!

Have a terrific week!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, what's going on?

Thanks so much for your kind comments about Lucy. She's such a sweetheart!

And you're so right about Calvin & Hobbes--it really does resonate more with adults than it does with kids.

"The Rainbow Connection" is another beautiful song. I'll think I'll go listen to it now on YouTube!

Have a great week, buddy, and take care!
Rob K said…
@Bijoux--what's up?

I don't read that many comics myself, but there was something really special about Calvin and Hobbes.

Old strips are available on this website if you're curious: https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes

Lucy is such a doll--we need more like her ASAP!

Take care!
You are so right, Rob, that connecting or re-connecting with family and friends is so important, even more so now. Glad to read this post about your own re-connecting with family. We definitely need more Lucys now and she is on the right track. I used to read comic strips all the time, including Calvin and Hobbes and comic pages were one of my favorite sections in years past.

I concur with Ron’s comment about The Rainbow Connection being a good song and another favorite that seems a companion tune is What a Wonderful World as sung by Louis Armstrong.
Rob K said…
Hey, Beatrice:

What a Wonderful World is an excellent choice.

I love Louis Armstrong's version, of course, but a Hawaiian singer called Bruddah Iz sang a medley of that song with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." It's fabulous!

In case you haven't heard it, here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XXDkacd_Nk

Take care and stay connected!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected