‘Permanently Closed’

And, so, another local landmark is gone.

My sister and I passed by O’Sullivan’s Bar & Grill in Bay Ridge last night during our after-dinner walk and saw nothing but darkness.

There were no lights shining from this old Irish saloon that the O’Sullivan family took over in 1934.

There were no customers outside taking a cigarette break on Third Avenue; no voices, music or laughter emenating from the corner business on 89th Street.

A dark bar on a Saturday night only means one thing, but I didn’t want to accept the grim reality.

I had to walk up to the front door, grab hold of the handle and pull back. But the place was locked up tight.

This morning I jumped on the Internet in hopes of learning that the owners were on vacation, or that they were renovating the place and would be reopening in grand style any day now.

But the bar’s Yelp page was branded with two grisly words at the top: “Permanently Closed.”

I’ve been searching around local message boards for any indication as to why the bar went under, although I suspect this place was yet another casualty of the Covid-19 shutdown.

New York may be emerging from the pandemic nightmare, but we’ve lost a lot of people and businesses in the return to something that resembles normalcy.

Signs reading “Closed” and “Store for Rent” are painfully common sights.

My personal connection to O’Sullivan’s is distant, but there was a time when I was something of a regular.

Back in the Eighties, I used to work at a weekly newspaper a few blocks down the place and one of our freelance photographers was this wonderful man named Artie.

Artie was a big, powerful Irishman, who was both a former Marine and a retired cop, and O’Sullivan’s was his local watering hole.

Whenever he and I finished covering a story, he would proudly sing out “O-Sull-i-van’s!”, point his car toward Happy Hour, and off we’d go for some serious drinking.

I was younger, of course, and looking back I’m quite relieved that I made the drive home without having an accident or getting busted for DUI.

Artie had scores of great stories to tell about his time in the NYPD and I couldn’t get enough of them.

Shake It Up

He once showed me New York Times clipping from the early Sixties when he and some other officers have saved a rookie from a mob of angry drunks.

The young cop’s nightstick was broken in two during the fracas and there was a photo of Artie—trimmer and in uniform—holding the shattered club.

Artie also shared some details that didn’t appear in the Times story, like what happened to the suspects when the police got them back to the station house.

Let’s just say it was a different era with a different attitude toward policework.

And he had connections within the department, so I got to meet people and hear details about incidents that were not being released to the media.

I couldn’t print them, but I loved having that inside knowledge.

Artie was just a great guy who so supportive of me at a time was I terribly unhappy and unsure of myself.

“You’re good,” he’d tell me over and over. “I mean it, you’re good!

One time we were at event at the Brooklyn Army Terminal in Sunset Park where then-Mayor Ed Koch was appearing,and naturally all the big-time local TV and newspaper reporters were there.

I didn’t say anything, but I was somewhat intimated by all the heavyweight talent circling around me.

Artie, being a good cop, immediately picked up on my fears.

“Hey,” he said, “you’re just as good as these humps.”

I laughed, calmed down, and got my story.

Every time we parted company outside O’Sullivan’s, Artie would do a mock spit shake, where he pretended to spit in his palm and then held out his hand.

The Urban dictionary says the spit shake is “only to be used for the most sacred of handshakes.”

Scared indeed, and only now I am truly appreciating what a great friend Artie was.

I moved to Pennsylvania in 1988 to work at the Pocono Record.

I’m tempted to say I lost contact with Artie, but the truth is that once again, I failed to keep in touch with a good friend.

This is yet another form of self-sabotage which I am looking to eliminate from my life.

Good people are hard to come by, so we have to keep them close for as long as we can.

I was in O’Sullivan’s a few years ago with a local Meet-up group. It seemed so different from the place I frequented back in the Eighties, when Artie and I guzzled beers together.

And now that the lights have gone out for the last time, I really feel Artie’s loss.

This afternoon I called a friend whom I hadn’t spoken with for a long time.

He’d been recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and he told me he was taking it one day at a time.

I told him that I loved him and I promised myself I would call him regularly until the day he stops answering the phone.

And the next time I see him, I’ll make sure to give him a spit shake.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Seeing those red Permanently Closed remarks on Yelp are so depressing. Especially when you have fond memories of times spent there. I enjoyed reading about Artie. He sounds like what my dad always referred to as a ’character.’ They certainly make life interesting! And nice job getting in touch with an old friend. It sounds like he could really use a listening ear.
Ron said…
OMG Rob, this post brought such emotion to my heart and tears to my eyes.

I got such a vivid picture, both externally and internally, of who Artie was, just from the way you described him. What a sweet, kind gentleman he was.

And I want to reiterate what he said to you, that I myself have said to you many, many times..."You're good. I mean, you're good!" You're such talented writer. And this post is proof of that.

Thank you so much for sharing this moving story. I could see a whole book or movie being written about it, entitled, "O' Sullivan's."

Have an awesome week, buddy!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, how's it going?

Thank you so much for all the kind, wonderful things you said! I'm so lucky to have you as a friend!

O'Sullivan's was indeed worthy of a book--and so is Artie!

Take care, buddy, and have a great week!
Rob K said…
@Dearest Bijoux!

Thanks so much! Artie was a character-and-a-half! His stories were just incredible.

I really want to stop letting the good people in my life get away from me, so that's why I reached out to my friend.

And please add your name to the list of good people in my life!

Take care
CrystalChick said…
Hi, Rob. What a nice stroll down memory lane. You and Artie shared a nice connection. Don't be hard on yourself about not keeping in touch. Relationships sometimes are meant to change anyway.
We have a place that my dad used to frequent similar to O'Sullivan's. It's changed owners a few times, but the name was kept the same maybe for respect to all original patrons? It was a town landmark for decades. I was never much of a bar drinker, but did used to go for meals in the restaurant side. I just checked, and they were supposed to reopen again earlier this year but it's still listed as 'temporarily closed'. Here's hoping they are able to return.
~Mary
Rob K said…

Hi, Mary!

Thank you so much for your nice comments.

I sure do hope that your local version of O'Sullivan's reopens. We can't afford to lose these places!

Much love!
Rajani Rehana said…
Mind blowing post
At the start, this post looked like it would be about the permanent closure of a favorite place, and you're right, Rob, that there have been far too many because of this $#%!! you-know-what (enough said and not).

But then it turned out to be a reminiscence not only of O'Sullivan's which seemed like a terrific place back in the day, but about a good friend. Artie was quite the character and someone you admired and he obviously thought a lot of you as well. We all need people like him in our lives to remind us that we are better than we think we are, and he did.

It's unfortunate that you lost touch after moving on and I wondered if you have ever thought of trying to locate him, but perhaps he is no longer around (sad to say).

Keeping in touch with people is hard and I do try to work on it by sending cards or notes as often as possible. This past week, one of the recipients called and told me the card I send "made her day." A message like that is priceless.

Good for you for reaching out to that friend and he will be so appreciative if you do keep that promise, and so will you.
Rajani Rehana said…
Amazing blog
Rob K said…

Dorothy,

I can't thank you enough for these nice comments.

I've Google Artie several times, but I'm almost certain he's left this world.

I commend you for making the effort to keep in touch with people and I think it's just wonderful that you made that person's day. You are an inspiration!

Take care!

Unknown said…
My grandfather and Frank O'Sullivan sr were good friends, and I remember going into O'Sullivans with him in the early 60s, they even had a spittoon on the floor at that time , my father and mother told me they had their wedding reception in the backroom, which is, or was the restaurant now, but back in 1947 the backroom had tables and a piano so I guess it was good for such events , I also remember Frank's son Frank jr , he was a bit older than me so we never really hung out, I also remember Richie, I remember him when he was a teenager and hung out in John's candy store, that was two doors down from the bar , yeah we all knew each other growing up, I to use to drink in there when I became old enough, 18 years old when I was around , so I guess I was in there sucking them beers down around 1978 , I'd occasionally drink with my parents but being a young man I rather hang with my buddies, it was uncool to be with mom and dad , so I thought , I wish they were around today , I guess you could say I grew up in O,'Sullivan's, I could go on and on about all the people and the different bartenders who worked there over the years, most of the people who drank there were very nice neighborhood people , I even remember on Sunday nights in the 60s how it would get packed with people who were waiting for the Ed Sullivan show to come on the tv they had on top of the phone booth, and afterwards the bar cleared out, sorry about that, so many memories of the place,,,,,
Anyway, I moved outta Brooklyn in 1987 ,and outta New York state shortly after that and never been back, it broke my heart to hear about them closing because I really thought O'Sullivans would be there for another 70 plus years, really sad , btw my name is Jimmy Scott from bay ridge, I don't do Facebook or Twitter but if anyone is interested in more about O'Sullivans or Bay Ridge during the 60s 70s and 80s I hope it's alright to leave my email address , it's jamesscott123321@gmail.com
Well that's enough from me and Farewell To You O'Sullivans, seems like we're all going the way of the dinosaur
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Jimmy, thanks so much for sharing all those wonderful memories of O'Sullivans!

I love that one about everybody crowding in the place to watch Ed Sullivan!

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected