Rocket Boy

At one point in Raideers of the Lost Ark, the villain, Belloq, holds up his watch to our hero, Indiana Jones.

“Look at this,” he says. “It’s worthless…but I take it and bury it in the sand for a thousand years,it becomes priceless.”

I’ve always thought that was a great line and it came bouncing back to me last week during my most wonderful writing class.

Our fabulous teacher Rosemary always starts things off with a writing prompt to get things flowing.

On this evening she asked us to list articles of clothing we owned before we turned 20 years old.

As usual I stared at the screen and thought, “what the hell is this woman talking about?”

And then, as usual, I started writing and soon came up with a list of items, including an atrocious short-sleeve paisley dress shirt that I owned when I was a teenager.

At the time I actually thought that thing looked cool, but now the very thought of it makes me shudder. Wherever you are, paisley shirt…stay there.

After making our respective lists, we broke off to write for about 45 minutes and I got some great ideas from the prompt, which I'm going to include in my next book.

I also got plenty of encouragement and insightful analysis from Rosemary and my classmates. I love these people!

One of the items on my list was my old Keds sneakers, which was required footwear when I was going up.

And from there I recalled a plastic whistle that had come free when my parents bought me a new pair of sneakers.

‘It's Not the Years, Honey, it's the Mileage!’

The thing was shaped like the Gemini capsule and, at the time, I thought it was the coolest thing in creation.

Bear in mind this was the Sixties, back when the space program dominated the news and Americans idolized astronauts.

Children didn’t go around with computers in their back pockets when I was growing up, so a whistle shaped like a spaceship was a pretty big deal.

The memory of that whistle was so vague, but so real. After class I jumped onto Google to see if I could track the thing down.

I typed in “whistle shaped like Gemini capsule + Keds,” convinced I’d never find any trace of the thing.

I was wrong.

I actually got several hits and when I clicked on the image tab, there it was: the Supersonic Space Whistle.

The whistle blue and white with a K in the middle and what looks like a portion of the lunar service as a background—just as I remembered.

Keds apparently went full blast on the space program back then as I came across a Kolonel Keds Space Club membership card, which featured an image of jetpack-packing astronaut type wearing, of course, a pair of Keds.

I have no memory of the Kolonel or his klub but it looks pretty kool, which was also a cigarette, but let’s not go krazy here.

So, a writing assignment triggered a recollection of a cheap giveaway whistle from the LBJ Administration.

It just amazes me how the mind works; what we recall, and why these things stay in our memory.

I had a nice little voyage through time, but I won’t be bringing back the Supersonic Space Whistle as a souvenir.

But I am starting to think about a short-sleeved paisley shirt…

Comments

Jay said…
Oh gosh, now you have me remembering what I wore back in the day! I didn't come from a wealthy family so at least 50% of my clothing was home made - and guess what? Those are the things I remember best. The dresses, skirts, blouses and smock tops, tent dresses and long, cotton, hippie dresses that I made on my mother's old Singer sewing machine are still quite fresh in my memory, along with the first pair of jeans that I bought after starting work (black Wranglers), a teddy bear brown cord 'bomber' jacket, Dr. Scholl sandals (all the rage at the time). My most ambitious project was a floor length, fully lined and hooded cape in a warm rust colour with black frog fastenings. Not particularly warm, but cool as hell on snowball day.
Ron said…
Rob, your writing class (and Rosemary) sounds like so much fun, and also inspiring!

"One of the items on my list was my old Keds sneakers, which was required footwear when I was going up."

OMG...YES!...YES!...YES! Keds were a MUST when I was a kid! But for some reason, I don't remember the Keds Space whistle. I wonder why?!?

And I love your whole thing about how back in the 60's, it was so different. No computers, so we had to "make-believe" a lot of things and use our imaginations.

I'm with you when it comes to paisley, NOT a fan of that print.

FUN post, buddy! Don't you love taking a trip down memory lane? My next post is about that.

Have a superb week!
Bijoux said…
I get jazzed about the way the mind works, too. It’s amazing what can be pulled from memories that are decades old. And I love that you were able to find the whistle online.

I think my mind would have gone blank with that writing prompt, I remember my earth shoes and a few dresses I wore for special events. Other than that? It’s a tough one. Hope you have a great week!
Rob K said…
Hi, Bijoux!

It's funny, my classmates and I always think we're going to draw a blank on these prompts. And then your mind just takes over and you come up with the craziest stuff.

Earth shoes--wow!

Take care
Rob K said…
@Ron:

Hey, buddy, what's up?

Oh, yes, we were all Keds Kids back in those days. It seems so primitive now, but back then we were living in the Jet Age!

The writing class has been a blessing in my life and I'm so grateful to my teacher and classmates.

And now paisley shirts for everybody!

Have a great week!
Rob K said…

Oh, Jay, what a lovely memory!

I can see why you remember the homemade clothing best, seeing as how you made them yourself!

Please tell me there are photos of you in that cape! And please post them!

Take care!
It was fun to read about the paisley shirt memory, Rob, and I think I may have owned a couple of long-sleeved ones although not quite the same print. Didn't everyone back then? Unfortunately, I never, ever owned Keds sneakers and in fact can't for the life of me recall what shoes I wore in childhood, although of course I did wear them.

Reading about the whistle reminded me of the Santa Clause movie when adults remember gifts they received and liked. Especially the scene in the gym and at the end when Judge Reinhold's character gets an Oscan Meyer "weenie whistle."

This was a fun trip down memory lane.
Rob K said…

Oh, thank you, Dorothy!

Good catch on the "weenie whistle" bit. Forgot all about that!

It's amazing how these childhood gifts remain in our memories.

Glad you to hear you were a member of the Paisley Patrol. And I'm really glad we're all free of it.

Take care.
Rajani Rehana said…
Your blog is amazing ��

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected