Moving Down the Line

It’s a funny how a song can sneak up on you.

Two things I love most about the Christmas season are the lights and the beautiful music. You can pretty much keep the rest of the madness, but don’t take away those fabulous decorations or my holiday tunes.

My favorites songs include “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing,” “I’ll be Home for Christmas,” and “O Holy Night,” which can bring tears to my eyes if you get me in the right mood.

Most of the more modern holiday songs leave me cold, though I must confess that I am one of the few people on earth who actually likes “All I Want for Christmas is You,” even though it was voted the most annoying Christmas song in 2019.

I’ll certainly take Mariah Carey's song over “Grandma Got run over by a reindeer,” any day of the week, and don’t even get me started on “Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey,” which is so bad it could turn the Pope into an atheist.

And then we have “Driving Home for Christmas”, Chris Rea’s holiday song that was released in 1986, re-recorded in 1988, and which I only heard a few years ago.

Unlike most Christmas songs, this one is low key and mellow.

There are no choirs or symphonies. There’s no talk of presents or partying; it doesn’t go on about the most wonderful time of the year.

As the title implies, this is simply a guy trying to get home for the holidays.

“I'm driving home for Christmas, oh, I can't wait to see those faces…”

Rea, a British songwriter whose biggest U.S. hit was the 1978 single “Fool (If You Think It’s Over),” described “Driving Home for Christmas” as a car version of a carol.

A Thousand Memories

He said he wrote the song one snowy night while he was stuck in a traffic jam, which is a great way of passing the time. Usually when I'm in a traffic jam, I wail like Jacob Marley's ghost.

Rea said he started looking at the other drivers, who all looked so miserable, so he started jokingly singing “we're driving home for Christmas..."

Whenever the streetlights shone inside the car, he started writing down lyrics.

The song first came to my attention a few years ago through a YouTube video which features the tune playing over a footage of a truck driving through a series of snow-covered scenes.

The song didn’t make much of an impression on me when I first heard it, but, for whatever reason, I’m starting to enjoy it more this year.

You can hear the longing and loneliness when Rea says, “so I sing for you, though you can’t hear me.”

“Driving home Christmas,” he sings, “with a thousand memories.”

I especially like the line where Rea says, “I take a look at the driver next to me, he’s just the same.”

It's a reminder that we all crave love and family, especially at this time of the year.

I don’t think the song is as popular here in the U.S., but a recent survey found that it was the third most popular Christmas song in Britain, coming in behind “Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues and—well, what do you do know?—"All I want for Christmas is You.”

Of course, there’s a flip side to every story and this one has a rather ironic twist.

A study by Brunel University London, Coventry University and the Economic and Social Research Council found that “Driving Home for Christmas” may be too slow to suitably stimulate motorists on monotonous highway trips.

Okay, fine, so wait until you arrive before listening to “Driving Home for Christmas.”

And while you’re on the road, you blast “All I want for Christmas is You” as loud as possible.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I just listened to it via your link and I have never heard that song before, but I do remember the Fool song from way back when. He has a unique voice. Funny you should mention some of your most hated Xmas songs. Middle Child made a fb video where she played and talked about her Worst Xmas Songs list. Donkey was her #2, but Christmas Shoes claimed the top spot.
Ron said…
"don’t take away those fabulous decorations or my holiday tunes."

Me too, Rob! Meeeeeeeeeee too! And I even though I hear so many people complain about how they can't stand Christmas songs, I NEVER tire of them. In fact, sometimes I'll listen to them in the middle of the summer. I'm always a little sad when Christmas is over and suddenly all the music stops and the decorations come down.

"O Holy Night" brings tears to my eyes as well. It was my father's favorite song. The Nate King Cole and the Martina McBride versions are my favorite. Before I left my comment, I went over to YouTube and listened “Driving Home for Christmas" and loved it. I think I remember hearing it years ago. Great tune!

Oh, and in case you're interested, two of my favorite holiday films are "Noel" (very touching) and "The Holiday" (a comedy). Both great films!

Wonderful post, buddy! At least I know two of us on this planet never tire of the music and decorations!

Happy Holidays!
I think you're being a little harsh on Dominick. It's in pretty heavy rotation on the music channel we listen to; when I told Coco I remembered it from when I was a kid, she created headcanon that it is my favorite Xmas song and is delighted whenever it comes on. Whatever.

I thought this article was enlightening:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/609839/dominick-the-donkey-lou-monte-christmas-song

I'll look up _Driving Home_.
Rob K said…

Hey, Walter, thanks for the article about Dominick.

While I found it to be most informative, I don't think I'll ever be able to warm up to that tune.
Rob K said…
@Ron!

Hey, buddy, what's up? I absolutely love Nat King Cole's version of "O Holy Night"!

We've talked about that man's incredible voice and it's on full display in this song.

And I well understand your post-holiday sadness. I get a little bummed when I see the Christmas trees being put out for the sanitation crews.

I have not seen "Noel" or "The Holiday" but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Take care, my friend, and thanks for stopping by!


Rob K said…
@Bijoux!

I think Middle Child is on to something. I'm listening to "Christmas Shoes" as I write this and I'm trying not to vomit!

Oh, well, let's focus on the happy songs of the season!

Take care!
We've been listening to holiday music since right after Thanksgiving, Rob, with Pandora in the house and SiriusXM in the car. Thanks for introducing me to Driving Home for Christmas, which I had never heard before. I've played it several times already! My favorite holiday tunes include the a Christmas album by Alabama and classics by Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby among others. The classic holiday films of The Bishops Wife, Miracle on 34th St, It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, as well as more recent ones of Love Actually and The Holiday. My recommendations for unusual ones/lesser known ones are Mixed Nuts, Rupert the Great, Beyond Tomorrow, It Happened on 5th Ave, Shop Around the Corner.
Rob K said…

Hi, Dorothy!

Thanks for your Christmas song and movie suggestions. I've got to check out Alabama.

As far as the unusual/lesser known recommendations, I've only see "Shop Around the Corner." I've got some catching up to do!

Happy Holidays!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’