All is Bright

Nearly 30 years ago, a co-worker at a newspaper in Waterbury, Connecticut gave me a candle as a Christmas present.

The candle is a round swirl of red, white and green wax and I kept it ever since, never once thinking of actually using the thing for its intended purpose.

It's so attractive I thought it would be shame to light it up and watch all that beauty melt away.

And I’m already paying enough money to Con Ed for the lights, what's the point of going all Ben Franklin?

Then one day last week I caught sight of that candle sitting on my kitchen table and I thought, yeah, it’s time.

I honestly don’t know what came over me; why, after more than three decades I had this sudden urge to finally light that wick.

Maybe it was a desire to change, to break out of old molds and do something different, no matter how small or insignificant.

The businessman John G. Shedd once said that “a ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.” I think the same can be said for candles.

Yes, the candle is beautiful, but its purpose is to give light and comfort. After all these years, it seemed like a shame not to use it and Christmas Eve seemed like the perfect time.

I spend too many of my precious days holding on to dark emotions like fear, regret, and resentment. Maybe I could put a match to them as well.

I hesitated before lighting the candle. This is a one-way street, I told myself.

‘I’m Gonna Let it Shine…’

Once you light this thing, you can’t change your mind and that neat little ball of wax is going to be melted and misshapen. Are you ready for that?

But then I found the idea of crossing that particular Rubicon quite appealing.

I couldn’t find any matches, so I held the candle over the stove. For a few moments, I thought it wasn’t going to light.

The thing is too damn old and now it’s just going to fizzle and die.

But then it started to flicker and soon it was burning steadily. I don’t put up Christmas lights, so I carried the candle over to my kitchen window.

My Italian grandmother used to put out food for deceased loved ones on Christmas Eve and my mother carried on that tradition for years until she left this world.

I’ve never done that, but I would like to think that by lighting this candle I’m adding my own spin to this beloved ritual.

As I watched the candle burn, I said a prayer for my late parents and grandparents and asked that the light would guide their spirits to my home.

I thought of all the other souls crisscrossing the sky on this most holy night and how badly we needed their love and support.

Of course, this little light of mine didn’t begin to match the holiday displays on my block, but those blinking electric bulbs couldn’t hold a candle to the emotional charge I got from this small flame.

I finally put the candle out shortly before midnight and went to bed. It was still dark on Christmas morning, so I lit it up again while I said my prayers and meditated.

The candle still has plenty of life left in it and several more Christmases in its future.

And when it finally does burn away, I’ll get a new one.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Bijoux said…
A great post, Rob. It’s all too easy to save ‘the good stuff’ rather than enjoy it now. We were saddened when we cleaned out my husband’s aunt’s belongings and found lovely gifts she never used. I like your idea of guiding spirits home. I thought about my dad a lot on Christmas Eve. The holidays sure are a mass of conflicting emotions, aren’t they? Hope you had a nice day yesterday, Rob.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux!

I hope you had a great Christmas as well.

That's such a sad story about cleaning out you aunt's closet, but it also contains an important lesson about enjoying life.

The holidays are indeed a mass (a mess?) of conflicting emotions and I can certainly understand why you thought about your dad.

Take care and best wishes for the New Year!
Ron said…
Oh, what a BEAUTIFUL and INSPIRING post, Rob! LOVED the ending! It so touched my heart.

You see, this is how change begins. We start with small things and then those small things move into bigger things. And I truly believe that lighting this candle was a powerful representation of change for you.

And it's ironic that you posted about lighting a candle because over the holidays, I too lit candles (tealights in red votive candle cups) and it created such a wonderful aura of peace. And like you, I prayed to my late parents (my father, mother, and stepmother), thanking them for bringing me into the world and for being my parents. And I could actually FEEL them with me. I wept.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, buddy. It really touched me.

Have a fantabulous week. And may 2022 be a year of positive change for you AND the world.
Rob K said…

Gosh, Ron, thank you so much for these wonderful comments.

It's just amazing that you lit candles as well. And I'm really touched by those wonderful prayers you said in honor of your departed loved ones.

Let us allow these candles to shine brightly into the New Year and all the years beyond.

Take care, buddy, and all the best to you and yours for 2022!
CrystalChick said…
It's wonderful that you finally decided to light that candle. And to include it with your prayer/meditation time was perfect!
We brought home a lot of things that belonged to my in-laws after they moved to assisted living and we had to clean out their house. Some items are displayed. Others, like their china and crystal glasses, weren't being used. A couple nights ago we had our son and his fiance over for dinner. I went upstairs and brought down some of the pieces and used them for the first time here.
~Mary
Rob K said…

Hi, Mary!

That's great that you brought out the china! They were made to be used, not locked away.

Take care and Happy New Year!
While I can understand why you didn't light the candle before, Rob, you did the "right" thing by deciding to enjoy it. We light candles every night, all types from tea lights, votives to jar candles and they create such a comfortable feeling in the room where we are usually watching a movie. We also dine by candlelight. Maybe it's a good thing that Grenville is a retired firefighter 😀

Bijoux commented about using her in-laws glasses and dinnerware and you replied that things should be used and not stored. That's exactly the point and why you should always light that candle and when it's gone, light another one or even more!

At year end, I want to thank you for your comments on my posts and tell you HOW much I always enjoy yours. I read a fair number of blogs and several are my "top" ones including your own. This is not flattery, just honesty, my friend.

Also thanks for the Christmas card, but more so the message inside. Most people do not include a messages of any type, and for me, that is so disappointing. Yes, I do hope that one day we will meet as we met a couple of bloggers this year and it was great! Sending good thoughts to you for a Happy New Year (we hope).
Jay said…
Rob, your little candle is worth a hundred miles of Christmas light strings put up without thought.

We do put up lights at Christmas, this year just the tree, and candle arches in the front three windows of the house and also in the lounge. Every time I see those lit arches, the word 'welcoming' comes into my head, and to my mind, that's what Christmas is all about; it's a 'welcoming' time of year. We welcome our friends and relatives, we welcome strangers (often just for Christmas, but it's a start) and some of us welcome God, however we perceive Him. Candles are a very traditional way to provide welcoming warmth and comfort, and yes - to guide the spirits of our loved ones. I think lighting your long-cherished swirly candle was the perfect thing to do, at the perfect time.
Rob K said…

Dearest Jay!

Thank you for lovely comments.

Candles do have the warm, welcoming feeling and Christmas is a great time to light them.

There is something primal about a flickering flame that an electric light cannot reproduce.

I'm Catholic and so many churches have replaced candles with electric lights that shimmer in an effort to imitate a flame, but it doesn't have the same impact.

It's just a more spiritual experience when you light a real candle.

My very best wishes to you and your family for the New Year!
Rob K said…
@Dorothy:

I think it's wonderful that you and your husband light candles every night. There's nothing like candlelight!

And thank you very much for your comments about my blog. I always enjoy how well-researched and thoughtful you blog posts are.

I've learned a lot from reading your posts and I love how you give readers so much to think about.

I am so looking forward to the day that we meet in the real world.

Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’