Darn That Dream

The wind was the first clue.

I woke up this morning some time before dawn to the sound of a harsh wind blowing outside my window.

Wow, I thought, that doesn’t sound like sunny Southern California at all.

Well, that’s because it wasn’t.

I had been dreaming and I quickly realized that I was nowhere near Los Angeles, where it was sunny and 75 degrees.

I was still in my home in Brooklyn on a cold December morning waiting for the sun to come up.

L.A. was a mirage and it served as the setting for a larger, and ultimately more painful, delusion where I reunited with my former best friend who ghosted me several years ago and moved out West a few months back.

I recall walking down a wide boulevard with the sun shining down on my face when my buddy came bouncing up to me from the opposite direction.

I don’t remember when we said to each other, but I do know he stepped right in to give me a strong and very sincere hug.

That feeling of his arms around me is so, real, so vivid that I still have trouble believing it was all in my head.

It felt so good to be friends with him again and I thought it would be great to have him around when I relocated.

But the dream didn’t stay pleasant for very long.

The scene shifted and I was suddenly looking down into a massive ditch where the earth was crumbling directly beneath a block of office buildings.

Oh, crap, California is earthquake country, I told myself. You don't want to move here.

And then I heard the wind blowing.

I Tumble Out of Paradise

So, let’s try and decipher this latest hallucination.

First, I was feeling good, having gone to a holiday light show at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens with my sister on Friday.

My inner disrupter feeds on agitation, so naturally he’s not comfortable with me being comfortable.

I think my former friend came back into my mind largely because I had recently told myself to stop thinking about him.

I want to stop ruminating about what had happened to our friendship. I vowed to quit the cyberstalking, which invariably results in additional heartache.

My psychotic subconscious heard this command, responded with a hearty cry of “Bite me!’ and cooked up this little melodrama.

I’ve been on vacation and I’m a little nervous about returning to work tomorrow after a week of going absolutely nowhere.

Christmas is almost here and I’m not feeling much in the way of the holiday spirit as I think of the grim winter months to follow.

On the political front, a group of retired U.S. army generals wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post warning about the risks of another insurrection or even a civil war in 2024.

And the omicron variant is flexing its vile muscles, sparking several Broadway shows to shut down and the Rockettes to scrub their “Christmas Spectacular.”

No wonder I needed a hug.

Dreams are reflections of our desires and fears. I got my friend back and finally moved to the West Coast, like I've been promising to do since the Carter Administration.

And then my shadow mind cranked out a disaster movie scenario to scare me out of taking any action. Ingenious, in a sick sort of way.

But dreams are also messages, and this one was telling me to get new friends, break out of the old routines and leave my fears in the wind.

Comments

Jay said…
See? See? Diddn't I tell you I scented a revolution? Not that I'm at all pleased to have this view supported and I sincerely hope that it doesn't happen (or maybe it should, I don't know).

Can I just suggest one thing for you to think about? The estrangement from your best buddy might not have been your fault. There can be all kinds of reasons for a ghosting to happen, and sometimes it's because of what's going on in the other person's life and nothing to do with you at all. I've experienced that personally, within my own family. I had a similar dream about that person, by the way, of meeting them in a car park and getting such a lovely hug from them that I woke feeling so comforted and warm, and then as the dream faded, really depressed and betrayed. But that rift has healed - and no, it had been nothing to do with me, but was everything to do with 'life circumstances' for the other person.
Ron said…
Rob, I love how by allowing yourself to view your dream from a broader perspective, you came to a realization and saw its "message."

"...and this one was telling me to get new friends, break out of the old routines and leave my fears in the wind."

Bravo! And I truly believe that we are our own best dream interpreters because our subconscious knows what our dreams symbolize.

This has definitely been a challenging year to see the "good" in its purpose. But it's been (for me anyway) a powerful time for me to count my blessings and be grateful. So that's what I focus on.

AWESOME post!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas on Saturday! And thank you for being in my life, buddy!
Bijoux said…
Oh to feel that Cali sunshine on our faces! You are becoming a pro at this dream analysis thing, Rob. Just in time for the new year. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux!

I guess I'm good at dream analysis because I have so many of them.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Rob K said…
@Ron!

I like that idea of being our own best dream interpreters.

We know the whole story and, if we're honest with ourselves, we can accurately interpret our dreams.

Thanks for stopping by, buddy, and thanks so much for being in MY life!

Merry Christmas!
Rob K said…

Hey, Jay, what do you say?

You were right about the revolution. It's getting pretty dicey around here.

That's so amazing that you had the same type of dream after being ghosted--right down to the big hug!

And you're right. What was going on with my former friend is on his side of the fence. Not that I'm a such a saint, but by the fact that he didn't say anything to me before vanishing.

He was never one to hide his feelings in the past, so this behavior suggests he had some things of his own going on.

Thank you for your comforting thoughts on this. I really needed them.

And Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!
That was quite the dream analysis, Rob, and perhaps you are right on about what this one was telling you. Actually the warm sunshine as feeling pretty good on a chilly New England morning (smile) but not the earthquake.Nice that you and sister were able to get out and see a light show, which is something we're planning to do once we are back in NH next week after the pre-Christmas family visits.I have enjoyed your blog posts this past year and look forward to continuing in 2022. My best wishes to you, my friend, for a peaceful and joyous Christmas as possible and a (hopefully) better New year for all (although right now even I have my doubts).
Rob K said…

Oh, Dorothy, thank you so much!

I've enjoyed your blog posts as well--always so well-researched and informative.

I wish you and all your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Take care and enjoy the light show!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’