Pier Group

I was walking through Shore Road Park on Friday night when I made three new friends.

It was early evening, and I was on my way to the 69th Street Pier in Bay Ridge to attend the local 9/11 Memorial Service.

Nearly 240 people from the neighborhood were killed in the attacks, and memorials can be found at local schools and on street signs.

I decided to cut through Shore Road Park to enjoy a little greenery, and on the way in I ran into a young father and his adorable little boy.

The kid was so outgoing and friendly; he gave me a big wave, and when I got close, we happily high‑fived.

It was exactly the kind of moment I needed on this day. And just when I thought things couldn’t get any better, another equally adorable little guy approached me.

It turned out they were twin brothers, both with lovely smiles and big, beautiful brown eyes.

“What’s this fellow’s name?” I asked, pointing to my high‑fiving amigo.

“Led Zeppelin,” their father replied.

I was confused, thinking maybe the kid was wearing a T‑shirt honoring the legendary English rock band.

“No, I mean, what’s your son’s name?”

“That’s his name,” the father insisted. “Zeppelin.”

Okay, I thought, I’ll play along.

“And what’s his brother’s name?”

“Zephyr.”

Zeppelin and Zephyr. Yes, that’s what this fellow called his kids.

And a New Day Will Dawn

I did some googling and learned that there was a band called Zephyr that opened for Led Zeppelin for three dates at the Boston Tea Party in 1969, although I don’t know if that was the father’s intention.

Great, I thought, these kids are going to get a whole lotta grief from their classmates when they start going to school.

But then I reconsidered. Parents are giving their kids all kinds of unusual names today, so maybe Zeppelin and Zephyr will fit right in. I hope so.

I want nothing but the best for these two little miracles who made me so happy, especially on this awful anniversary. I don’t care what their names are.

The pier ceremony was moving and surprisingly cathartic for me.

Frankly, I wasn’t expecting much from the roster of local politicians, but they surprised me.

And it was such a beautiful night. The sun was going down, and I could see the new Trade Center building across the river with the light beam shooting up into the sky.

The most moving speaker was an imam from a local Islamic center, who reminded us that we are all children of Adam and Eve.

Andrew Gounardes, our state senator, talked about a man he knew at his school who was killed in the attacks and said we must be custodians of 9/11 for the people who were born in the years following the atrocity.

I found myself crying as I thought back to the day — how much we lost, how much has changed, and how, sadly, how little we’ve learned.

I hope I’m wrong. I truly hope humans realize the value of love and kindness and stop using hate as a weapon.

I want Zeppelin and Zephyr to grow up in that kind of world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Permanently Closed’

The Bystander Effect

Making Book