Swimming With Sharks

Many years ago, I applied for a job as an obituary writer for the Chicago Tribune.

I was sharing this news with my oldest brother, who was living in California at the time with his wife and daughter. (They have since moved to Colorado.)

My niece, Victoria, who was about 8 years old at the time, and, who, of course, was listening to in on the speaker, was appalled at the idea of my potential gig.

"Writing about people who died?" she said, leaning heavy on the melodrama. "How tragic!"

Writing about people who died, as she put it, may sound morbid, but the obit section is the most-read section of any newspaper.

As my editor at the Pocono Record once told me, “Most people only get their names in the newspaper twice in their lives: when they’re born and when they die.”

I read the New York Times obit page every day--and not just for the famous names, but I also check out the lesser known individuals.

A well-written obituary goes beyond one person's life story to provide history lesson of a certain time and place. And a successful person's obit can be inspirtional and even instructional as you learn what steps they took to make it big.

I was going through my massive stack of old newspapers last week when I came across two intriguing obits that appeared on the very same page.

I didn't recognize their names, but I knew their work instantly and both articles brought back so many memories.

The first was for Ralph Lee, a puppeteer who created masks and figures for the Metropolitan Opera, the New York Shakespeare Festival, New York City Opera, and was recognized as the "father" of the Village Halloween Parade back 1974.

And in addition to that, Lee, who died at at age 87, also created the Land Shark puppet that first appeared on "Saturday Night Live" in 1975 and mocked Jaws, which was the movie event of the year back then.

You Can Call Me 'Ray'...

Billed as "Jaws 2", the sketches starred a shark that got its victims to open their doors with such lame excuses as "Candygram."

“Land shark—the cleverest species of them all!” John Belushi declares in full Richard Dreyfuss mode.

“People still know about that shark,” Lee said in a 2003 interview. “For many people, it is my claim to fame. When I was making it, I thought it would get used once and shucked.”

Just below the Ralph Lee story was an obit for a comedian named Bill Saluga, who was 85 years old at the time of his death.

Saluga had created a character named Raymond Johnson Jr., who wore a zoot suit, puffed a big cigar and had a long-winded response when asked for his name.

“Ohhhh, you doesn’t have to call me Johnson,” he'd say. “My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr. Now, you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Ray Jay, or you can call me R.J. Or you can call me R.J.J. Or you can call me R.J.J. Jr. But you doesn’t have to call me Johnson.”

The bit probably hasn't aged well, but back in 1979, this "comedic one-hit wonder", as it was described, went viral, only in those days we only used "viral" in relation to diseases.

Tom Shales of The Washington Post wrote that “now everybody and his brother are doing Saluga impressions throughout this very impressionable land of ours.”

Saluga portrayed the character in a beer commerical with Norm Crosby, who implored a patron not to ask the guy's name. But it was too late.

"My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr. Now, you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay…”

Saluga did regular acting jobs, the Times reported, including portraying a hostile ticket taker at an opera house in a 1992 episode of “Seinfeld” and Louis Lewis, the comedian Richard Lewis’s fictional cousin, in three episodes of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” in 2005.

And he didn’t mind being known primarily as Raymond J. Johnson.

“I would sit in restaurants and hear the people behind me in the booth talking about me, and I was right there,” he said in 2017. “They didn’t know who I was, which was great.”

I didn't get the Tribune obit writer job, which was a long shot, at best. But I'm still reading the obits page and taking in all these incredible stories.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I remember both Land Shark and the Ray Johnson bit I agree that obituaries can be fascinating to read. My husband will often read one to me from the Sunday paper (it’s online now, so I don’t read it myself). Are obit writers only for famous folks?
You are not alone in reading obituaries, Rob, as I have always done it when a paper is available that still lists obituaries especially when we have been on road trips. As you editor said, for most people, there are only two times their names will appear in print. It has never mattered to me whether or not the person was "famous" as I have found some of the most interesting obits written about lesser known people.

I go online weekly to read not only the news but also the obituaries in the weekly newspaper from the town where we formerly lived in VA. Sadly, there have been many names recognized in the years since we left.
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Bijoux!

That's a good question about famous folks. I guess it's up to the editorial staff as to who gets an obituary.

I've read so many obits of people that I've never heard of, but then I'll see by their accomplishments why they got the big write-up.

Food for thought...
Rob Lenihan said…

Hi, Dorothy!

Obituaries really offer us a chance to look at someone's life. And "famous' is, of course, relative.

Seeing familiar names in the obit page is sobering experience. May they rest in peace.

Take care

CrystalChick said…
I didn't recognize those names either, but as you described the guys some I remembered Land Shark, and little of the Johnson bit.
I don't read them regularly, but will occasionally check out various obituaries. Some are so basic, with only a few details. Others that include a bit more can be quite interesting. Some people write their own obits. I could do it, but probably not if I was actually dying. It might not be a bad idea for some because it takes some of the pressure off family to chose what to include or not.
~M
Rob Lenihan said…
Hey, Mary!

You can find some fascinating stories in the obits. I don't think I could write my own, though. I'm hardly a disinterested party!

Take care

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected