Owl Be Seeing You

At least I still have Duke.

One of my promises for this New Year was to socialize more, particularly in the realm of dating.

Last year was memorable mostly for its missteps and mistakes, so I’m starting 2023 with a clean slate and a healthy dose of emotional amnesia.

I had signed up with Facebook’s dating service a few years ago and I've gotten a few dates out of it, one of which showed early some signs of promise before Covid came crashing down on the world.

Online dating is hardly ideal, but I keep my eyes peeled for potential connections and last week I thought I had come up with a real gem.

I recently became exchanging messages with woman named Suzanne, who had contacted me through Facebook.

Suzanne lives in New York City and describes herself as “cerebral, romantic, sensate, tactile, funny, serious, talkative, though sometimes goofy.”

I think I got everything.

Suzann, her profile said, “is looking to date with the intention of establishing a very serious relationship that could lead to everything and ultimately marriage.”

She’s from San Francisco, went to the University of California and-get this--she is a gemologist.

I was intrigued, as I’ve never dated a gemologist before. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever met a gemologist before.

Anyway, I liked Suzanne’s photos, so I sent a message wishing her a Happy New Year.

The next day I got this reply:

“Nice to read from you. How are you doing? Any experience on this site? What are you seeking for on the site and what do you do for a living?”

She seemed to be awfully inquisitive, but I thought I’d be agreeable, and I gave a quick rundown of my experiences on the site and my career. Then I mentioned that one of my brothers had lived in San Francisco for many years before moving to Colorado.

“How long have you been in the New York area?” I asked. And this was “Suzanne’s” response:

Hoot of the Moment

“I am a field gemologist,” she wrote. “I deal with gemstones, special rocks and pebbles. I like what I do and at the same time derive pleasure from it. I am seeking for a serious and honest relationship; I don't have time for games. I barely come on here to check my messages. I have got loads of messages kindly send me your e-mail so we can get to know much about each other and exchange pictures.”

Okay, there are a lot of problems here. First, I already knew she was a gemologist from her profile, which was why I hadn’t asked about her career.

There also was no need to exchange pictures, as we both have plenty of photos posted on the Facebook site.

Also, if you like what you do, doesn’t that mean you derive pleasure from it? Don't people have to derive pleasure from something they like?

And I had asked her direct question about her time in New York and she just blew it off.

I was beginning to sensate something strange. My tactile senses were giving me a bad feeling about Suzanne that suggested she might be goofy.

I’ve come across a few bots on this site, but this was a bit subtle than most. Until we started “communicating.”

This diamond in the rough seemed more like costume jewelry and was best left in the ground.

I’ve bemoaned my missed opportunities in the past, but I don’t think I missed anything here but a scam artist with an apparent penchant for rocks.

But there is some good news to report.

At around that same period, I received a late Christmas present from that brother of mine in Colorado and his family. They had sent me Certificate of Adoption for a great horned owl from the Rocky Mountain Raptor Program.

He goes by “12-131” but I think I’ll call him Duke.

Duke was transferred to the program from Casper, Wyoming in July 2012 and had suffered “an impact injury,” according to his paperwork.

While he has responded to care, he has permanent vision damage and can no longer hunt.

“With your adoption, you are providing the highest quality care for this amazing raptor,” the certificate said.

I certainly like the sound of that. It sure beats swapping emails with a bogus gemologist.

Unlike Duke, I’m still able to hunt and I’m going to be out there for looking for that rare jewel who can shine in my heart.

Rock on.

Comments

Bijoux said…
That poor owl. I’m glad he’s getting the care he needs, in your name. Yes, I’ve learned that if someone online ignores questions, something’s up.
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Bijoux!

I honestly love this adoption gift from my brother and his family! I don't need any more stuff in my life.

But something like this makes me feel good. And Suzann can take a flying leap!

Much love!
What a great gift from your brother, Rob, and it does beat meaningless collections of stuff! This is an idea I may borrow from in future gift giving as the grandchildren grow older to appreciate the concept.

As for Suzanne the gemologist, good riddance as from what you wrote here, she certainly seemed either flighty or something wasn’t quite right. The comparison between a diamond and costume jewelry was perfect, my friend. Time to move on.

Like yourself, I also dabbed in the personals, but it was back in the days if either print ads or online sites that did not focus on videos, etc. sort of back in the stone age. Yes, I met several that didn’t pan out in the long run, many not past a first meeting. A couple that lasted a bit longer.

Ironically, my husband and I met online but exchanged emails only for well over 3 months before we even spoke on the phone or met in person for the first time. When we finally did, that first date lasted through a long lunch, movie, and dinner. We brought stacks of photos to share and talked…a lot. Two years later we married and this August celebrate our 24th anniversary.

In short, don’t give up, Rob, good things may come your way and with the right person. Meanwhile, there is Duke.
Rob Lenihan said…

Dorothy, thank you so much for sharing that wonderful story about how you met your husband! It warmed my hope and gives me all kinds of hope.

You guys took your time with three months of emails, but it sure paid off.

And I do recommend owl adoption as a gift. Duke has plenty of buddies who need help, too.

Take care and thanks again!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’