23 and Me

Okay, so let’s get this thing started, shall we?

It’s January 1st and that means it’s time for my New Year’s resolutions.

I know, I know, I do this every single year, vowing to change nearly every single aspect of my life, only to veer off course and revert to all my old, unhealthy patterns before Presidents Day.

I know and I still don’t care. I am hopelessly in love with the idea of starting over, rewinding the clock, clearing the decks, and all those other born-again clichés.

I’ve gone through my Christmas malaise and now I’m ready to be free ‘23.

There’s nothing new on the list of resolutions. This is more of a time to reconnect with my goals and remind myself that time is fleeting.

I want to treat my pursuit of happiness like a math problem; add the good stuff, subtract the self-sabotage and come up with a better version of yours truly.

Way back in August, I covered an electric vehicle auto race in Red Hook. These cars are a lot like their gas-powered Indy 500 cousins, except they run cleaner and a hell of a lot quieter.

And, unlike internal combustion engines, the EVs don’t make pitstops to refuel. All the drivers charge up their cars and each one decides how to use their allotted electricity.

Tally Ho, Here We Go

It took four months for me to get a lesson out of that experience, but I see now that we, too, have a finite amount of energy and it’s up to us to choose how we’re going to spend it.

You can waste time and energy roiling over the past and worrying about the future or you can make the most out of right now.

I recently came across a self-help meme on Instagram—I’m constantly reposting these things--about being a prisoner of the past.

I did a mental eyeroll upon first reading those words as it sounded a bit melodramatic.

But then I did an honest assessment of my thought patterns, and I was surprised—and somewhat upset—at the amount of time I spend looking over my shoulder, so a large part of 2023 will be devoted to being mindful.

I also screw around on the internet too damn much. Just today--the first day of the New Year--I sat down to write this post, but first I had to check out YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, a couple of news sites and, then, oh, yeah, I finally did some writing.

That behavior is going to stop. The holidays are over and with them are any excuses to avoid work.

I’ve been on a Frank Sinatra kick lately and I decided that “Nothing But the Best” is going to be my personal anthem this year.

The song was written by Johnny Rotella and recorded for the 1962 album Sinatra and Swingin’ Brass, but it was omitted from the disc and later released in an expanded CD version.

I’m just so glad I heard the song because it has a great attitude that I want to adopt.

I like a new Lincoln with all of its class,” the song goes, “I like a martini, and bird under glass. I'm gonna start living, you wait and see. Nothing but the best is good enough for me.

I don’t know about the Lincoln and the martini, but I can certainly extend the concept of “best” to the best thoughts and best actions that’ll make 2023 my best year ever.

Happy New Year.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I haven’t heard of anyone driving a Lincoln in ages. 23 and Me is a great name for a new start. Happy New Year!
More power to you, Rob. It has been a slog in so many ways for three-five-seven years already. Good to take a deep breath, do a little shake, and try to start fresh.
Some great thoughts in this post, Rob, and like yourself I have tended to fret about unfilled goals, which is why I never use the R word. We do have a finite amount of time. This year I am going to try and use more of it wisely. I also tend to spend too much time online when something interests me, which then leads to another thing and so on. Thankfully, it doesn’t deter me from work, the benefit of being retired, but it can become a time waster. What I started doing towards the end of 2022 was nit turning on my desktop PC for at least half of the weekend, and I’m thinking of expanding that to at least another day.

As you, I am also a Sinatra fan, and I liked your adoption if the song lyrics as your 2023 manta.

Sending best wishes to you for a happy and healthy New Year🎉🥂my blog friend.
Rob Lenihan said…
Thank you so much, Dorothy!

The computer is such a sneaky thief of time. It's scary how you can fritter away hours without realizing it.

I had a friend who stays off the computer on weekends since she is looking at screens at work Monday-Friday. I might try something like that, too!

All the best for '23!
Rob Lenihan said…
@Walaka:

Thanks a lot, Walter. Great advice about starting fresh.

Happy New Year, buddy!
Rob Lenihan said…
@Bijoux

The Lincoln is one of several items that date the song, but I still love the message.

Happy New Year!
CrystalChick said…
Being mindful and making the most out of now is a good way to be. I, too, spend a lot of time online. As of yet, I'm not making a resolution to stop it. I'm snoozing some news and drama sites on Facebook though. Instagram I don't use very often. YouTube I do like and can get some help there with everything from cooking to crafts. I'd actually like to spend more time at my blog, and also read what others have to say, but I struggle to be regular with it. Think I only posted 4 times last year. Well, I won't beat myself up about it.

Have a happy and healthy 2023!
~Mary
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Mary, Happy New Year!

Mindfulness is the way to go, which probably explains why it can be so difficult remaining present.

And don't beat yourself up about the blog--or anything else! Just do what you can when you can.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’