In Memoriam

A few weeks ago, I rewatched The Howling a 1981 horror movie I hadn't seen in over 40 years.

The film featured the most amazing werewolf transformation sequences I had ever scene, although I'm sure they are now woefully out of date.

Moonstruck

I had first seen movie at the Lowe's Alpine theater, which was right around the corner from our house, with my brother, Peter, and our mother.

Yes, our mother came with us.

Like us--and very unlike our father--Mom was a fan of the old Universal horror movies—Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy—the whole gang of ghouls.

Of course, horror movies had changed a bit since those 1940s fossils.

In addition to new and improved special effects, the modern flicks were much more violent and good deal raunchier.

My mother learned this lesson the hard way a few years earlier when I took her to see The Exorcist.

Nevertheless, she wanted to see this movie and Count Dracula would sooner be sunbathing on the steps of the Vatican before my father would ever take her to a monster movie.

The Howling feaures a scene where the heroine's philandering husband gets jiggy with a lupine lady in a roaring hot campfire sex scene.

Don't Look Now

Now watching cinematic sleaze with one's mother is always a bit awkward, even when you're officially an adult.

But Mom, who was sitting between us, injected a bit of humor into the situation by putting her hands in front of our faces when The Howling really started to howl.

We laughed about the moment months after we saw the movie and it comes back to me now as we marked the 20th anniversary of our mother's death on Saturday.

Twenty years since that awful day when my mother’s doctor called me from the hospital and told me that she had gone into cardiac arrest.

Twenty years since I raced over to Staten Island from lower Manhattan; twenty years since I stood outside St. Vincent’s Hospital crying in my sister’s arms when I learned that our mother had died.

Like so many memories, that day is both distant and clear in my mind. It feels ancient and fresh at the same time.

I remember telling my brother the news when he called me at the hospital.

"She's gone," was all I could say.

And I remember my father crying—something I had never seen him do.

The Silver Bullet

It was such a terrible time as we struggled with the agonizing truth that we would never see her again.

My mother had been in failing health for a long time, and I had tried to prepare myself for the worst, but when it finally happened, I fell apart.

I think about her every since day. Sometimes it'll be a movie that reminds me of her, or a song, or nothing at all.

It doesn't take much to bring her back.

And, of course, there's the guilt, my favorite food group--ingratitude, selfishnes, cruelty--this gang of ghouls comes rolling back to me because there's a part of my mind that wants me to suffer.

I think 20 years of this self-abuse is enough. My mother was always quick to forgive, so the best way to honor her memory is stop tearing myself down.

It's going to take a lot of work, but I'm ready to take on this monster.

Comments

Bijoux said…
That is hard, Rob. I also think of my dad everyday. That’s a great memory of your mom at the movies. Let’s try to keep the happy memories first and foremost.

Hope your week has happiness in it, Rob. Hugs!
Rob Lenihan said…
Oh, Bijoux, that is such wonderful advice!

Keep the beautiful memories front and center. I'm sure you have plenty of great memories of your dad.

Have a beautiful week!
Rob, I found this post bittersweet for a couple of reasons. You shared wonderful memories of your mom and her enjoyment at horror films (admittedly not my favorite genre) but more than that at the good times you remember sharing with her. I also smiled when you described how she covered you and your sister's faces in certain scenes from the Howling. These are obviously memories you still cherish after all this time, as you well should.

And, of course, your favorite "group" wants to keep you trapped and suffering, which is not so good.

This mixed feelings are ones I believe we all share when thinking of a loved one who has passed. It happens to me, as well, when thinking about my late parents.

I second Bijoux's suggestion to remember the good times. Something we should all do.

Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Dorothy!

Thanks so much for your understanding. You know what its like to miss your parents. Remembering the good times is the best way to go.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’