Fire Sale

So, there I was on Thursday hitting the heavy bag at my gym as I usually do three mornings a week.

Everything was normal...except the building reeked of smoke, the weight room downstairs was in total darkness and there was soot all over the place.

If you haven’t guessed by now, my gym had a fire last week.

A dude walking out the door warned me about the smoke, but I figured that since I had gotten up early to work out, I might as well work out.

This situation does bring up a very important question: What the hell is wrong with me?

Am I so set in my ways that I’ll keep working out even when half the lighting is on the fritz, every surface is covered in filth and the air is borderline unbreathable?

Well, uh…yes, apparently.

I would like to think I would have left if the building was in flames, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out.

It was so eerie walking through that darkened weight room, where several machines had been flipped over.

I saw one guy trying to workout using the light on his phone, so at least I wasn’t the only lunatic on the premises.

But a short time later the club manager decided it would be best to close, so we all had to split.

The New York Sports Club had announced a few weeks ago that the Bay Ridge facility was going to be closed, which would’ve been a major headache for yours truly since the place is within walking distance of my house.

But then on Tuesday we learned that Harbor Fitness, a local health club, would be taking over the gym.

I wouldn’t have to go trapsing around the neighborhood to get a workout. Praise Jesus!

And then on Thursday I walked into a burned-out building.

Four Alarmer

So, to repeat: one company is pulling out, another is moving in and somewhere in the middle the place catches fire.

Nothing unusual about that all, right?

This has been a week of change for me, both voluntary and involuntary.

I couldn’t do anything about my gym burning down, but I finally cashed in my ancient I-phone for a newer model.

It took me longer that it should have, of course, as I hemmed and hawed over what model I should buy.

And when the new phone arrived, I freaked out because I have such an irrational fear of technology.

I am trying to figure why I get so worked up over essentially trivial events.

Yes, phones are critical in this age when people pretty much run their lives and businesses on the damn things. Hell, I’ve been watching workout videos on my phone ever since Covid-19 came muscling onto the scene.

But still, it’s a phone. Not my first born.

All I had to do was press some buttons, talk to a guy from tech support for a few minutes and my new phone was up and running.

My gym has been closed since the fire and I don’t expect them to open their doors until the new outfit takes over in July.

I’m back to do my workouts in the park, which is how I got through the pandemic.

Obviously I’d rather be in the gym, but at least I’ve got my nifty new phone.

Comments

Bijoux said…
How bizarre that they even had the doors unlocked so you could go in! Doesn’t sound safe! Well, at least it happened in summer so you can go to the park and not freeze. Congrats on the new phone. Are you adjusting to the bigger size? I like my old smaller iPhone better.
Too bad about the gym fire, Rob, and that did seem like a strange coincidence with the place changing owners and then catching fire in between. Working outdoors might be a better alternative now that the warmer weather is here, so it may all work out better.

Your comment that it's just a phone, not a newborn, was quite amusing especially since most people
live their lives on their phone. It's become a wholly inadequate and very poor substitute for human interaction. I have a now-older iPhone and while I do not have an irrational fear of it, there is so much I do not know about it's potential and capabilities and that's OK. When I need to know something, I check out an online source. AppleCare has always been helpful and thankfully U.S. based so I can understand what's being explained. Good luck with your new model. Did you get the latest one?
Rob K said…

Hey, Dorothy!

It's amazing how we've become so dependent upon these devices. And you're so right when you say that it is a poor substitute for human interaction.

I don't have the latest I-phone, but it's certainly newer than my previous one.

Thanks for stopping by!
Rob K said…
@Bijoux:

Hey, there!

Yes, it was really weird--and irresponsible--to open the doors after the place got cooked. And the whole business doesn't sound kosher.

I am slowly adjusting to the size. The new phone is longer, but it's thinner. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’