Bring You Through the Mirror

“If you going to get cancer,” my doctor said, “this is the kind you want to get.’’

And with those words he set about removing a small brown doodad on the side of my head.

I had seen this thing a few weeks ago and I wanted to believe that it was a shaving cut, but something told me that it was a bit more serious.

I was long overdue for a trip to the dermatologist anyway, so I went in for tests and waited for that phone call saying that there was nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately, the phone call I received was one telling me to come in for surgery. The good news---the fantastic news--was that it wasn’t melanoma.

My doctor said I could leave it alone, but the thing would just keep getting bigger.

I was concerned that my love for sitting out in the sun might have caused this problem, but he dismissed that idea.

“These things just happen,” he said.

So now I have a line of stiches on the side of my head that would do Boris Karloff proud, and I’ve got to change the dressing every day before going back next week to have the stiches removed.

I was still wearing the bandage on Saturday when my sister and I went to the theater for the second time since Covid brought down the curtain on life as we know it.

This time we went to see “Girl from the North Country,” a fantastic production with a book by Conor McPherson and songs by Bob Dylan.

The play is set in a boarding house in Duluth, Michigan in 1934, and despite the anachronism, Dylan’s music works perfectly in helping tell the story of desperate, isolated people trying to survive.

How Does It Feel?

I first saw this show in London in 2017; I saw it again when it came to New York a few years later, and then I signed up to see it again.

I’ve rarely seen a Broadway production more than twice, so three times is a record for me. Walking into the theater on Saturday, I started to wonder if the show could have any impact after so many viewings.

But those concerns vanished as soon as the cast started singing Dylan’s “Sign in the Window.”

The show really helped deepen my appreciation for the theater experience.

One of my favorite moments occurs when Mare Winningham sings a fabulous version of “Like a Rolling Stone” with a single spotlight shining down on her.

While you can record what was happening on the stage, you’ll never be able to capture sense of being in the audience. You really had to be there.

And then on Sunday it was my turn to take the stage, or the Zoom in this case, as my most wonderful writing class had one of springtime our readings.

I can remember when we held this events in real world locations, but the pandemic changed all that, of course.

And now with Zoom we have people joining us from such locations St. Louis and Mexico.

These readings are always a blast, as I get to see my classmates and “meet” new ones.

So, with the surgery, the play and the reading, I had a pretty exciting week.

Maybe I could get Bob Dylan to write a song about it.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Ugh! Sorry you had to go through that. Does the spot still hurt? I actually went through the same thing in early May. I had a mole suddenly appear on my thigh, so I went to dermatologist. That turned out benign, but another spot they biopsied on my toe was not. I had the surgery, but they don’t think they got it all so I need to go back in six months. It’s on the side of my 4th toe and has never seen the sun.

Hope you are healing nicely!
Rob K said…

Oh, Bijoux, I'm so sorry about your toe!

My thing is becoming itchy, but I'm trying to keep from scratching.

Here's hoping we both have full recoveries.

Take care.
CrystalChick said…
Seems to be quite a lot of skin growths/cancers around. Thank goodness most are treatable. Good to hear yours was not a melanoma and you're healing from the surgery. Also, glad to read you got to another play, and had fun with the readings.
~Mary
Great news that it wasn't a cancerous doodad, Rob, and reading that it could get larger if ignored would have had me getting it removed ASAP just like yourself. I actually was looking for a photo of yourself all stitched up and when you said you were going to the theater I thought you might post about any reactions, which of course, you still might in the future. It's been years since I have been to any live theater production and we finally went to the movies a couple of weeks ago to see the new Downton Abbey film. The online writing class sounds like fun and maybe I will check about joining one. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Rob K said…

@Mary:

Great to hear from you! Yes, I do believe you're right about the skin growth stuff and it's making me a bit nervous.

The play was awesome and it feels good to be back in the theater.

Take care and thanks for stopping by!
Rob K said…
@Dorothy:

Hey, there!

I actually took a few shots of my scar when it was fresh, but I backed off from posting them--they were kind of creepy.

Live theater is such a thrill, but going out to do anything is exciting in these plague days.

I'll keep an eye out for an online writing class. In fact, you're more than welcome to join our group. Thanks to Zoom we have people in Mexico and Arizona joining the class.

I'll send your some information.

All the best!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’