Shrink Rap

Last week I reconnected with two men who helped mold my mind.

Henry and Fred are two therapists I’ve worked with for many years. Both men helped me get through some of the worst times in my life.

I met Henry in the mid-Eighties when I was falling apart physically, emotionally and professionally.

I’d never worked with a shrink before, and it took everything I had to keep from running out of the waiting room on my first visit.

Fortunately, I didn’t give into my fears.

Henry used to catch me whenever I talked down about myself and ask me a very simple question: “Whose work are you doing?”

He explained that there were people in my past who used to make me feel like crap and I’m now pinch-hitting for them.

It took me a long time to understand when Henry was trying to tell me, but I’m finally starting to get it.

I worked with Henry off and on and for many years, in person at first and when by phone when I lived in Pennsylvania and Connecticut.

I learned very quickly that a lot more people in this world should be in therapy.

Whenever I hear people complain about their psycho boss who terrorizes their employees, I think “now there’s a person who could use a shrink.”

Henry used to get exasperated with my resistance to helping myself, moaning “I’ll never be able to retire.”

Well, Henry, who is now in his 90s, eventually retired, and I had promised myself for years—honestly years—that I would call him, but I kept putting it off.

I wonder what a shrink would make of that.

Checking In

Anyway, I finally kept my word and called him. We didn’t speak for very long, but it was great hearing his voice.

I mentioned at one point that I would be turning 65 this month.

“You’re 65?” he said in amazement.

“I’m afraid so.”

Before signing off, I made sure to thank Henry for all his help.

Once I was done with Henry, I immediately called Fred to wish him a happy birthday.

I met Fred several years ago when I hit another low point. I had parted ways with Henry and had gone without a shrink for a few years.

Dark feelings started to chip away at me once again, and I recall riding the express bus into work on morning and I felt like I was disappearing.

I knew I couldn’t get through it on my own. I looked around, found a guy who was a 10-minute walk from my house and that’s how I met Fred.

Fred could not be more different than Henry, but I liked his style. He was a first-class ball-buster who constantly challenged me.

He got me into meditation and journaling, both of which I continue practice. We stayed together for several years before we parted ways.

I’m currently on my own, but I’ve been giving a lot of thought about getting back into the game.

I’m more amendable to therapy than I was in my younger days, and I think I would get more out of it.

Of course, I’ve been talking about getting back to therapy and I haven’t done it yet.

I wonder what Henry and Fred would say about that.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Thanks for being so honest and transparent, Rob. You’re right; so many people could use therapy, or at the very least, a friend who listens. It’s sad that we live in such a connected world, but most people feel disconnected.
Ron said…
“Whose work are you doing?”

Rob, I freaking LOVE that question because Henry is spot on!

And KUDOS to you for seeking help in both Henry and Fred. I began to seek help when I was in my early 30's because I knew I needed to confront issues from my childhood. I didn't go to a "medical" therapist, but rather an "alternative" therapist who helped me tremendously. In fact, I often think of her and realize just how important she was at that time in my life.

Like you, I meditated and practice Reiki. I also use Tapping, which seems to induce powerful results for me. Therefore I use it regularly.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey, buddy. And congrats on your progress!

Have a super week!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, how's it going?

Isn't that question a hoot? It can really stop you in your tracks and make you think about what you're doing to yourself.

And I like the idea of an alternative therapist--a lot! I want to try something different so maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks for your support, buddy!
Rob K said…

@Bjoux:

"It’s sad that we live in such a connected world, but most people feel disconnected."

Oh, goodness, that is brilliant! We have all these devices, all this technology, yet so many of us are falling through the cracks.

Thanks for being in my corner. Take care!
The fact that you recognized that you needed someone to help you work through certain issues is to your credit, Rob. Personally, I have only seen a therapist a few times, which is not to say I couldn't benefit from doing so again.

As Bijoux aptly observed, "we live in such a connected world, yet many feel disconnected" and that is so true. It seems that people cannot write a letter or card or pick up a phone to call someone, but are always looking to technology to make them feel a part of everything, which it sadly does not.

My "therapy" most times is reaching out and connecting with people. There are several of these who live alone or are elderly. The time spent chatting with them often rejuvenates my spirit in more ways I could imagine. It's not exactly professional therapy, I know, but it helps me.

Glad you finally re-connected with both Fred and Henry even if you don't get back into therapy because in a way, you have done that.
Rob K said…

Oh, Dorothy, what a beautiful form of "therapy"!

It's wonderful that your act of kindness not only helps other but also rejuvenates your spirit.

Mark Twain once said "The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer somebody else up."

Those people are very lucky to have you in their lives--and so am I!




Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’