Wing Man

I can’t believe I didn’t know this.

Last week, the filmmaker Richard Donner, director of such big budget spectacles as The Omen, Superman and Lethal Weapon, died at 91 years old.

I have to confess that I am not a particularly big fan of Donner’s movie work.

While there is no denying that his films were incredibly popular, I found several them to be rather noisy and uninteresting.

Like many of the older filmmakers, Donner got his start in television, directing episodes of such classics as Wanted: Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel and Perry Mason.

I’ve been watching several of these shows lately on the MeTV channel and I’ve seen Donner’s name a few times, but I had no idea until I read his obituary that he directed what is arguably the most famous episode of The Twilight Zone, “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.”

C’mon, don’t sit there and tell me you don’t know what episode I’m talking about.

That’s the one from 1963 with a pre-Kirk William Shatner portraying a man recovering from a nervous breakdown looks out the window of a plane and sees a monster on the wing trying to pull apart the engine.

The plane is being battered by a brutal thunderstorm and, of course, nobody believes Shatner when he tells them about the gremlin outside his window.

I cannot begin to guess how many times I have seen this particular episode and it never grows old.

It is a claustrophobic masterpiece, especially if you’re afraid to fly like I am, and it holds up despite the passage of time and some rather cheesy special effects.

Richard Matheson, who wrote the story upon which the episode is based, said the monster looked like a panda, but it’s the scariest panda I’ve ever seen.

I’m shocked that I didn’t know Donner directed this show. Maybe I learned this fact years ago and it just slipped my mind, although that is not a particularly comforting thought either.

Now if Richard Donner had just filmed this one episode and quit the entertainment business, he’d still be a legend in my book.

But, luckily, he didn’t. In fact, just a year before The Twilight Zone, Donner directed one of my favorite episodes of The Rifleman.

Scare Tactics

Simply titled “Gunfire”--which pretty much describes every western ever made--the episode stars Lon Chaney Jr. as a six-gun psychopath who is awaiting transfer from the local jail to the prison in Yuma, Arizona where he is to be hanged.

Chaney, however, has other plans and the story takes on the feel of a mini-horror movie as our hero, Lucas McCain, and the town’s marshal, face off against a gang of unseen killers who strike from out of the darkness.

Casting the monster movie legend Chaney as the villain amps up the spookiness a hundredfold.

Another episode, “Outlaw Shoes,” does a take on the old amnesia story line, a favorite of far too many TV shows where a memory-deprived Lucas is mistaken for a vicious gunslinger.

A lynch mob quickly forms to mete out some rough injustice and as the bloodthirsty vigilantes drag Lucas toward the hangman’s noose, I’m almost certain that Donner uses a handheld camera to convey a sense of confusion and terror.

Handheld camera work may not sound like much now, but I don’t think you saw much of that in TV shows of the early Sixties.

Many years ago, one of the old New York revival houses—the Elgin, or the Carnegie Hall Cinema, I don’t recall which--hosted a series dedicated to the work of British filmmaker David Lean, who directed such beloved films as Great Expectations and Brief Encounter.

Entitled “Lean When He Was Lean,” the retrospective focused on the director’s earlier films, before he went on to helm such epics as Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.

The program’s organizers maintained that Lean did his best work when he had smaller budgets. I don’t know enough about Lean’s career to comment yea or nay, but I wonder if one could make a similar observation about Richard Donner.

I find his TV work—done on tight schedules with tighter money—to be more exciting and visually creating than any of his films that I’ve seen.

In fact, “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” was shot under even greater pressure than usual because of scheduling constraints, technical problems with the simulated storm, and a slew of special effects challenges.

Donner crammed three-days of filming into two and still came away with an unforgettable episode.

Thanks for that memory, Mr. Donner. And for so many others.

Comments

Ron said…
".... he directed what is arguably the most famous episode of The Twilight Zone, “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.”"

Yes, it is by far, my very favorite episode. Even to this day, whenever I watch it, it still scares the living crap out of me. It's chilling!

Interesting to read about Donner, who I knew nothing about. What you said about the use of a handheld camera is so true. Back then, no one did that. The only way a camera moved back then was if it was on wheels or a crane.

Thanks so much for sharing this, Rob. VERY interesting. I had no idea he directed Doctor Zhivago!?

Have awesome week, buddy! And later this week, I'm going to try and find that twilight zone episode with William Shatner and watch it!
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron, what's up?

Isn't that Twilight Episode a hoot? There was a remake in the 1983 version, but it doesn't match the original.

One little thing: David Lean directed Doctor Zhivago. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Take care, buddy!
I didn't know that the late Richard Donner had directed those TV episodes, Rob, so thanks for this information. While I have seen the Twilight one episode least once, admittedly it's not one I will re-watch as it was a bit scary for me. I can recall my family watching the circa 1960s westerns like Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel, Wanted Dead or Alive, Bonanza (family favorite), and Gunsmoke but somehow The Rifleman was never in the "top favorites" list. Still the episode you cited in this post sounds like it very well cast and directed.
Bijoux said…
I can’t say I’m familiar with that episode, but I haven’t really watched that many. It’s fun to learn a fact about something that you enjoyed so much, isn’t it?
Rob K said…
Hi, Bijoux:

I recommend "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" most highly. And, yes, those little facts are fun to discover.

Take care.
Rob K said…

@Dorothy:

How's it going?

I don't blame you for being freaked out at this episode. It's really spooky.

You've listed so many great television shows from yesteryear. I just started watch The Rebel recently as I am interested in the career of its star, Nick Adams.

The Rifleman is available for viewing on YouTube, so you want to give it a peak.


Rajani Rehana said…
Fabulous blog
Rajani Rehana said…
Fabulous blog

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected