Change Your Tune

“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” ― Lucille Ball.

There was a time back in the Eighties when WPIX, a New York radio station, played nothing but love songs.

I'm not sure if there are any other types of popular songs, as love in one form or another seems to be theme in nearly every song I've ever hear.

Nevertheless, that was their schtick and the station went so far as to run a series of TV commercials featuring clay animation cherubs to reel in new listeners.

I didn’t much care for the format and those clay angels creeped me out, but the concept is coming back to me now as I look to get my mind in some kind of healthy condition.

I’ve heard for decades about the importance loving yourself and how you can never really be happy until you do.

It sounded great, but I could never could my head around it. Loving your family, your significant other, your dog—that all makes sense. But how do I go about loving me?

Now self-loathing I get without a hitch, and as a result, I’m quite quite good at it. But I've always viewed self-love as a form of narcissism.

I’ve spent enough time being forced to listen to a series of loud-mouth boors, including the one we recently kicked out of the White House. I don’t want to join the club.

Of course, this isn’t the case. Self-love is really self-care, where you do what you can to support your emotional and physical health.

However, while I can recognize the concept, I’m still having trouble applying to myself.

I’ve been YouTube-ing my way through a series of self-help videos recently and I came upon a recording by the spiritual teacher Teal Swan.

Her advice is simple: for one year you have to act as if you loved yourself.

She doesn’t expect you to immediately drop all your toxic thought patterns and adopt a whole new attitude.

You Don't Need Money, You Don't Need Fame

All she wants you to do is consider what it would be like if you did love yourself.

So, I’ve been trying it. When I feel negative thoughts coming on, I try to think, “if you loved yourself, you wouldn’t tear yourself down.”

You wouldn’t hang around people who don’t respect you. You’d choose to exercise and eat healthy foods. And you’d work on your goals and dreams.

I find the "as if" aspect helpful, as if I'm trying the idea on for size, rather than signing an ironclad contract.

It hasn't been easy, but that's hardly surprising.

Negative thoughts are constantly ricocheting around my skull and bad memories have a fast track into my consciousness, while my pleasant recollections are routinely MIA.

The long-term fix includes mindfulness, journaling, and therapy.

But I’ve also been employing a short-term method to stop the negative vibes before they get too powerful.

I play nothing but love songs on my mental juke box.

So, if I’m feeling hostile, I’ll crank out the Beatles’ hit “All You Need is Love.” If I’m feeling depressed, I’ll call up Rosemary Clooney singing Hank Williams’ classic “Half as Much.”

On Friday morning, when crummy ideas disrupted my morning meditation, I switched on Huey Lewis & the News singing “The Power of Love.”

The funny thing is, I didn’t particularly care for this song when it came out in 1985 on the soundtrack for Back to the Future, but now it’s an important part of my emotional arsenal.

This all sounds ridiculous, of course, but that’s the point. I want to confuse and distract all that hostile energy and music really does hath charms to soothe the savage breast.

There is no magic cure and it takes a variety of techniques and serious commitment to overhaul your brain. But I feel now at this stage of my life that I'm really committed to being happy—or at least, happier, something I’ve ignored for far too long.

WPIX dropped its love song-only format years ago, the station changed its call letters and it is now a sports channel.

No matter. I still have my own playlist and I’m giving my sneaky subconscious a direct order:

Don’t touch that dial.

Comments

Ron said…
Rob, it's so ironic that you posted the quote by Lucille Ball because I just recently watched a series of interviews with her daughter, Lucie Arnaz, who actually shared that quote. She said that she didn't understand what it meant until much later in life.

I have be honest and say that I have always loved myself. And I don't mean that in a ego-sense because I most definitely have insecurities and faults. However, deep down inside, I have always loved and appreciated who I am (positive and negative). And yet, I know that that love does not come from anything "about" myself. It comes from a knowingness in my heart that "I am Loved."

There is a lyric in the song, "Nature Boy" that reads:

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love, and be loved in return."

So perhaps it's as simple as that. Perhaps it's about allowing the love that we freely give to others to circulate back to us -- by being loved in return.

Have a great week, buddy!
Bijoux said…
I’ve always ascribed to the opinion on relationships that you need to work on yourself first. And self talk (or in your case, self singing😊) is one way to do that.
Rajani Rehana said…
Mind blowing post
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron!

Isn't that quote from Lucille Ball fantastic? I think it is so true and so important.

I'm so happy that you have loved yourself. I know from reading your blog posts that you had some very tough times in your life, but you never took it on yourself.

As you say, love does not come from anything about you.

And I just love that line from "Nature Boy"! Thank you so much for sharing it! There's another song for my playlist.

Take care, buddy!
Rob K said…
@Bijoux:

That is such great advice. How can we expect others to love us if we don't love ourselves?

Thanks!
Rajani Rehana said…
Lovely post
It may sound trite, Rob, but I totally agree with the comments made by Ron and Bijoux. I have never not liked myself and loving yourself before you can love someone else is the best adage.

By the way, I do remember WPIX in NYC but back in the days when the station played pop songs and Murrray the K was a top DJ.

And, n the words of Paul McCartney there's nothing wrong with "silly love songs."
Don't touch it indeed. The "love yourself" agenda is a funny one. Done properly, i.e., really looking at the parts of you that make you who you are, parts you want to keep and protect, it's a good strategy. But when the dark forces of consumerism and business get involved, well... it's all bollocks, really. :-)

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
Mario, so great to hear from you! I must apologize for being out of the loop for a while.

Brilliant observation about the dark forces of consumerism and business getting in the way of the "love yourself" agenda.

We're suffering through that very thing now and it feels like a swift kick in the bollocks!

Take care!
Rob K said…

@Dorothy:

Yes, Murray the K and the Swingin' Soiree! I was more of a Cousin Brucie guy myself and I love that era of New York radio!

And I do thank you for your thoughts on this. Love, like charity, begins at home.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected