Another Day of Living

The notice on my phone’s calendar this morning was short and to the point.

Rob Lenihan is 64 years old today.”

I was all set to say “dang, that guy is old,” until I realized that it was me.

Yes, today I officially entered into Beatles territory by turning 64.

It’s a bit hard to believe, but then I’ve been saying that since I turned 20.

My most wonderful sister got things rolling on Saturday by taking me to the Industry City complex in Sunset Park.

This incredible facility dates back to the 1890s, hit the skids in the 1960s, and is now experiencing a revival as a home to all kinds of funky businesses.

My sister treated me to both lunch and dinner and then we headed back to her place for a little TV.

On Sunday, I participated in a Zoom reading with other members of my fabulous writing class. I had rehearsed all week and made sure to read slowly and clearly.

It was a great night.

Today I have decided that the best way to celebrate my birthday is to shut down the Three R’s of Misery: Regret, Resentment, and Revenge.

I spend far too much of my time grieving over what I should have done, or feeling short-changed in some way; or fantasizing about hammering the crap out of people who have done me wrong.

These three unhealthy attitudes have been holding me back for longer than I would like to admit, so I’m trying to be more aware when one of them creeps into my brain.

Since I call them the Three R’s my alarm internal system includes a B-movie pirate impersonation, as in “Arrr, Jim boy, shiver me timbers!”

Three R’s—get it? Yes, it’s ridiculous, but that's the point. That foolish voice helps me abandon a sinking emotional ship.

And, as much as I love the Beatles, I don’t think I’m going to use “When I’m 64” as today’s theme. Instead I’m going for Earth, Wind and Fire’s 1971 classic “I Just Want to Celebrate.”

I was a freshman in high school when this song came out and, to be honest, I didn't think much of it at the time.

I appreciate it a lot more today because I can't be bothered with sorrow and I can't be bothered with hate.

“I just want to celebrate another day of livin’,” the lyrics say, “I just want to celebrate another day of life.”

That works for me, matey.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Awesome! Sounds like Industry City is a super fun place to explore. I clicked the link and was surprised by how much was there! I think I’ve told you that my husband lived in Sunset Park in 1984. I visited him twice and we watched the NY Marathon when it came through.

Happy Birthday!! I think all the cool folks are born in May ��
Happy birthday, buddy. A lot of water under the bridge since Senator Street. Keep on truckin'.

Rob K said…
Thanks so much, Walter!
Rob K said…
@Bijoux:

Thank you for the birthday wishes! May babies are indeed the coolest!

Yes, you did tell me that your husband lived in Sunset Park. It's changed a lot since 1984, to put it mildly.

Industry City was hit hard by the pandemic--like everything else--and I'm really hoping business starts to pick up.

Take care!
Ron said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROB!

I still have one year on you, I turned 65 last October.

Sounds like you had an awesome day on your Zoom call and spending the day with your sister. Hey, Industry City looks faaaaabulous! I've never heard of that place. Got to try it one time when I'm in NY.

"The Three R’s of Misery: Regret, Resentment, and Revenge."

I LOVE that! Would make an excellent title for a self-improvement book.

And it's funny you mentioned, "Earth, Wind and Fire", because last weekend while walking the city, I kept listening to both "Boogie Wonderland" and "Fantasy." Anytime I hear there music, I am immediately transported back to the 60's - 70's!

Wishing you the very best in your 64th year, buddy! Thank you for being an inspiration!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, thanks so much!

Industry City is such a cool place and I'm so glad this vast property is finally being used after being mostly abandoned for so many years.

I'm really trying to make my life better so I'm hoping the Three R's will help me improve.

There is one more R--Resistance, which crops up whenever I try to change my thinking. You just have to be prepared.

And you have great taste in music!

I really appreciate all support and encouragement. Take care, buddy!
Sorry to be late to post my Happy 🎂 Birthday wishes, Rob, but belated is better than never and it sounds like your sister and yourself had a terrific day. I will be checking out the Industry City link as it sounds like the type of place we would enjoy if my husband even liked going near the metro NY area. That said, we're spending a few days in NJ next week to visit family & friends on the 1st visit back since late 2019.

And I also like that you are looking forward as you enter this new year. Celebrate often, my friend.
Rob K said…
Hi, Dorothy, and thank you so much for the birthday wishes!

Industry City is indeed a funky place, so maybe you guys could swing by this way sometime and take a look.

I'm so happy that you're visiting family and friends in Jersey. Have a blast!
CrystalChick said…
Happy *belated* birthday, Rob!!!! I'm glad you got to celebrate with your sister and that you enjoyed the writing class reading. I hope it's a wonderful year for you!!
~M
Rob K said…
Thanks, Mary!

You're the best!

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Enchantment

Missed Connection

Getting Connected