Wheels and Bridges

"Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self." -- The Bhagavad Gita

Was there really a time in my life when I could do the wheel pose?

I have this vague, but distinct memory of being able to do Urdhva Dhanurasana or Upward Facing Bow with the greatest of ease.

You get on your back, put your hands on the floor behind your head and use your arms and legs to push until your body forms an inverted U.

Simple, right?

Not only do I remember doing it, I remember how I used to enjoy doing it. I liked how it stretched out my back and gave me a different view of the world.

Did I imagine all that?

I’ve been going to my gym for cardio workouts—they recently hung up a heavy bag, thank God—but I haven’t gotten back to the weights yet, so I’m using bodyweight exercises for my strength training.

It’s been a while since I’ve done the wheel pose—before I needed glasses and hearing aids--but I figured it was something akin to learning how to ride a bicycle. Once you get it, you never forget it.

So, I got into position, steadied myself and pushed. And nothing happened.

It was a failure to launch. I could not budge, no strength, no power, no nothing. I just sat on the floor like a human footrest.

Watching the Wheels Go 'Round

How is this possible? I know it’s been a while, and I’m not as young as I used to be, but am I that out of shape?

I’ve been telling myself that its only because I haven’t done this particular pose in a long time and I’ll get it back with a little practice.

But I didn’t have to practice the wheel pose in days gone by. I just…did it. Now it looks like my wheel has gone flat.

I had better success doing some new qigong routines on YouTube last week.

Qigong stretches are not generally as strenuous as the ones you find in yoga and the exercises emphasize movement.

The instructor was teaching in front of a nearly wall-sized photograph of a wooden footbridge leading to a mist-covered forest.

The routine was very good, but that photo was incredible. I felt like I could actually walk across that bridge and enter a new, unexplored realm.

And the great thing is that the photo did not distract from the routine; it actually enhanced the instructor’s directions.

The entire world is a narrow bridge, as Rabbi Nachman tells us, and the important thing is not to be afraid, but I’ve have let fear keep me from crossing too many bridges for far too long.

I’ll focus on the rickety wooden slats, or worry about what’s on the other side and what’ll happen to me once I get there—if the bridge doesn’t collapse first. And what’s with all that goddamn mist?

The anxious mindset leads to inaction, which can show up in your life as hostility and self-loathing.

There’s a part of you that really wants to cross that bridge, walk through the mist and explore that forest, and it doesn’t like being overruled and suppressed.

So many bridges have been shut down since Covid-19 muscled into our lives; there’s no need to close them down ourselves.

I've found a number of videos that supposedly teach you how to do the wheel pose and I'm going to check them out.

If I succeed, great. If not, I’ll accept the situation and move on. There are plenty of other bridges waiting to be crossed.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I’m not even going to attempt it, though I’m curious if I could do it! I hurt my back in February and have been doing PT exercises to help it. One involves the Sphinx pose, so a similar concept. That’s great that you found some routines to do online. Have a super week!
Ron said…
Rob, I LOVE the photograph of that bridge as well! For me, the bridge seems to be symbolic of life, and how it's not one straight shot, but rather a series of up's and down's, and even some detours. It reminds me that life is a journey.

And you are so right about COVID-19, it's closed down so many bridges over the past year and a half, yet I also feel that it's opened so many other bridges, and doors as well. Since the start of the pandemic, I had such a strong feeling about how I needed to perceive it, and what it was going to teach me. And it's taught me SO MUCH about myself and how I view life and "live" in the world.

And speaking of the "wheel pose", I need to see if I can still do it. I haven't done that one in awhile.

AWESOME post! Another great life lesson!

Have a fantastic week, buddy!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, I really must commend for you for your view of the pandemic.

As tragic as the outbreak has been, there are lessons that we can learn from it. We have to learn from it because this will not be the last pandemic.

Negativity will just make things much worse, so I really appreciate your insights.

Thanks so much for stopping by, buddy, and let me know how you do with the wheel pose!
Rob K said…
@Bijoux

I am so sorry that you hurt your back. I hope you are feeling better and that the PT is helping.

There are tons of instructional videos on YouTube (some better than others) and they've taken on a special significance with the outbreak of the pandemic.

Take care!
You're right. Bridges are there to be chosen and crossed. :-)

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
Oh, thanks so much, Mario!
You got me on two counts, Rob, becauseI could never do a wheel pose or any other yoga pose for that matter. I tried a couple of yoga classes and failed miserably. As for that bridge, I would not attempt that crossing although it looks like someone is on it in the photo. Good luck to you with future attempts of the wheel pose...better you than me!
Rob K said…

Hey, Dorothy, how's it going?

I'm still working on that wheel. And that bridge is cool to look at, but that's about it!

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’