Sage Advice

“It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.”—Henry David Thoreau

I spent the first morning of the new year performing an ancient ritual.

Burning sage, or smudging, is a healing practice that has been used for centuries to purify a space, drive off unwanted spirits, and clear away negative energy.

Benefits are said to include removing bacteria from the air, repelling insects, improving intuition, improving mood, and reducing stress and anxiety.

Smudging can also be used to invite positive energy when you want to do something creative.

I don’t know how the hell I missed this wonderful ritual, but fortunately my brother, Peter, recently turned me onto it.

He reminded me that when I fell on the ice two years ago and wrecked my knees, I was stuck in my home for weeks, with braces on my legs, unable to move physically or spiritually.

A load of seriously crappy energy built up in my home during that awful period and I never formally invited these unpleasant vibes to hit the road, Jack, and don’t you come back, no more, no more, no more.

I was tempted to dismiss this weird notion—as I often do with something I don’t understand—but then I recalled that I experienced a run rotten luck after my accident, and, if nothing else, smudging—like chicken soup—couldn’t hurt.

Smokin'!

I ordered a sage three-pack online, checked out a few videos on the practice and got ready to light my own fire.

My sister and I rang in 2020 last night at a party in her apartment building, and then I got up this morning and busted out the smudges.

After I lit up, I walked around my apartment, reciting Hoʻoponopono, a Hawaiian practice of reconciliation and forgiveness.

The word means "correction" and the prayer is simple. You just say “I’m sorry, please forgive me; I love and I thank you.” But it can stir up a lot of emotional energy.

Some healers wave the sage smoke around with a feather, but I decided to use my parents’ prayer cards to get in touch with my past while paving the way for my future.

I went through every room of my home, opened up the closets, and stood outside my front door, holding the burning sage and spreading the healing fumes.

I directed smoke toward my computer where I write, and the living room couch where I spent most of my recovery, and where I still spend too much of my time watching TV.

I confess that it felt weird at first, but then those words and that smoke gradually worked their way into my soul. Bad memories and negative thoughts came up, of course, but I kept chanting and inviting them to leave.

Some people may think I’m nuts for doing this, and like Billy Joel said, you may be right, I may be crazy. But I know this is a good thing for me.

I’ve got a long list of things that I want to do this year and I believe I started my journey off on the right foot.

And now the work begins…

Comments

Ron said…
Rob, I first discovered the benefits of sage smudging back in the mid-80's. It's AMAZING! Anytime I move into a new apartment, I smug it to removed any previous negative energy that may have been left behind by the previous tenants.

So no, I don't think you're crazy at all because I believe (and have witnessed) that it works.

I don't burn sage anymore because I discovered sage pure essential oil that I use the same way, however, I use a diffuser that allows it to permeate the air. I will also place a drop between the palms of my hands, rub them together, and then inhale the aroma. It's faaaaaaabulous!

Happy New Year, buddy! And Sage away!
Bijoux said…
Happy New Year, Rob. I have seen a lot of sage burners on tv, usually in Southern California. Here's hoping that the cleansing ritual gives you a fresh start.
Rob K said…
Happy New Year, Bijoux!

Thanks and all the best to you for 2020!
Rob K said…
@Ron

Hey, buddy, Happy New Year!

I knew you would understand the whole sage routine.

And I love the sage oil idea. While I loved the sage burning routine, I have to confess that my apartment and clothes have retained a smokey odor that I could do without.

Oil is the key!

Thanks brother, and do take care!
Jay said…
Happy New Year, Rob! May it be kind to you.

I love the idea of smudging, and would love to do it, but smoke seriously upsets my asthma - and that's why I haven't had a coal fire in the hearth for years now, too. Exhaust fumes, candle smoke in restaurants, cigarette smoke (of course) and so on mean a very restless uncomfortable night for me, so I dare not light bundles of herbs, however healing their properties.

However, I can and do sit quietly and repeat similar words to clear my heart and soul and quiet my mind. I use visualisation techniques to clean my space, too. It brings a wonderful peace, and I hope you are experiencing that peace now, as well.
Rob K said…

Hey, Jay, what do you say?

Happy New Year and much love to you and yours!

I can certainly understand why you would skip the smudging. Smoke is smoke and if it really bothers you, then avoid it at all costs.

I have to be honest: while I absolutely loved the smudging ceremony, I am less than thrilled with the smokey odor that is still lingering around my house three days after the smudge.

I think your routine of clearing out your heart and soul is just lovely and I truly hope it brings you a sense of peace and happiness.

Take care and all the best for 2020!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’