Hate on an Elevator

Forgot about the 13th floor, it’s the eighth floor that scares the hell out of me.

I work in a medium-sized office building in the financial district.

It doesn’t have a 13th floor, like many buildings in town, but that hasn’t slowed down the malevolent mob of gremlins that seem to inhabit the elevator system.

Twice is the last few months, I’ve been trapped in the elevator after it came to a screeching halt at the eighth floor.

I don’t function well in small spaces; I dislike heights, and I get totally nutzoid when I’m stuck in a small space suspended 150 feet in the air.

The first incident occurred several weeks ago while I checking my smart phone on the way down to the lobby. The elevator jammed so violently that the I-phone flew out of my hand as if it were possessed.

I’ve worked in office buildings for a large portion of my life and I’ve never been stuck in the elevator. For those of you who have not experienced this machine age nightmare, trust me when I tell you that it sucks in the extreme.

You feel helpless and exposed—at least I sure as hell did. I was convinced the cables were going to snap and send me crashing down to earth.

I hit the alarm button, talked with the front desk people, and a few moments later, the doors opened. I bounced out on the eighth floor and stood shaking until another elevator arrived and took me down to terra firma.

Okay, I thought, fine. I was only stuck for a few minutes and now I had a story to tell friends and co-workers. After that I pretty much forgot about it.

Until Wednesday night.

Once again, I was heading home, once again I was alone, and once again the horror began at the eighth floor.

This time was worse, though, and the jolt felt much more violent, like the whole damn building was going to collapse.

I wasn’t thinking even remotely rationally as I wildly searched for the alarm button without putting on my glasses.

Every Man for Himself

As a result, I was hitting the wrong button, which did not trigger the alarm, but it triggered me into having a claustrophobic conniption fit.

“Help!” I shouted. “Help!”

“Press the alarm button!” someone shouted from the eighth-floor lobby.

“I did!”

Only I hadn’t. Panic and anger are corrosive cousins that can blind you to the most obviously solutions. I was convinced I was trapped—and by feeling that way, I really was trapped.

Had I been thinking rationally, I would’ve put on my glasses and found the proper button a lot sooner than I did. Finally, I put on the specs and rang up the lobby.

“We’re calling the mechanic,” a disembodied voice told me.

“Where the hell is he?” I shouted.


I looked around my tight surroundings. This elevator didn’t even have handrails I could grab onto and at least pretend I was safe. I was screwed.

“I don’t fucking believe it,” I said to no one. “Twice this has happened to me?”

The elevator abruptly moved, causing me to freak out, fearful that I was about to climb the stairway to Heaven.

“When the door opens, step out of the elevator,” the lobby voice told me.

“No kidding!”

I got to the ground floor and demanded to speak to someone in charge. I was royally pissed but I did have the presence of mind to thank the staff for getting me out.

At least two of my co-workers have been stuck in the elevators, so it ain’t just me.

I seriously considered filing a complaint with the Building Department. A little googling revealed that my building apparently belongs to a Ukrainian fertilizer tycoon—I shit you not—who owns several buildings in town.

I have passed my complaints on to the office management and I’ll let them handle this issue—for now.

But every night when I go home, I’m praying that I’ll get passed the eighth floor.



Comments

Ron said…
" For those of you who have not experienced this machine age nightmare, trust me when I tell you that it sucks in the extreme."

Rob, I completely understand what you mean because I have been stuck not once, but TWO times in the elevator of my apartment building. The first time was during the summer when it was 105 degrees and was stuck for almost an hour until the fire department got me out because the elevator company couldn't get me out. The second time was for 25 minutes. So, I know what you mean about sucks in the extreme. The first time believe it or not, I wasn't as panic as the second time. The second time I was just pissed!

" For those of you who have not experienced this machine age nightmare, trust me when I tell you that it sucks in the extreme."

Yup...that's exactly what I thought!

I didn't the same thing, I complained to the property manage and threatened to turn them in to the safety board because the elevators in my building constantly are broken, and tenants are getting stuck in them. I've gotten to a point where I refuse to take the elevator that I got stuck in, and instead take the other elevator or the freight elevator.

Getting stuck in an elevator is very scary, isn't it?

Bijoux said…
Is it the same elevator? Good grief, I'd be checking out the stairs! And a Ukranian fertilizer tycoon? We need more research on that!
Rob Lenihan said…
Hi, Bijoux:

It's happened at two different elevators. And I'm on the 15th floor! I don't know if I want to learn any more about fertilizer boy. I might not like what I find out.

Take care and take the stairs!
Rob Lenihan said…
@ Ron:

Oh, my God, Ron! You had to be rescued by the fire department?!? That's horrible! I'm so sorry that you got stuck for so long in such terrible conditions. It was only a few minutes each time for me.

Getting stuck in an elevator is a horrible experience and if it's happening on a regular basis then there is something wrong with the system. The fact that this is going on at your home is appalling! You shouldn't have to take the freight elevator to get in and out of your apartment.

Stay safe, buddy!
Jay said…
Aarrrgghh!! This brings back memories of my childhood. I lived in a block of flats (apartments) in London until I was nine years old and there was a single, small, dark lift with a tiny glass window so you could see the shaft whizzing past. My mother always hated it and viewed it with the greatest suspicion, but quite rightly because it was always going wrong. Sometimes it wouldn't arrive, sometimes it would stop halfway, occasionally - and the most scary for me and Mum - it would stop and the door would open, but it would be below the level of the floor and we'd have to climb out, if we could. Usually it was only about a foot or so, but I always had the fear that the door would start to close again before I made it up the 'step'. Horrible experience... and the caretaker, whose job it was to deal with complaints was a grumpy man who scared us all!

I don't blame you for losing it in that lift. Lifts can be terrifying when they go wrong. They also seem kind of symbolic of our own feelings of helplessness and vulnerability, don't they?
Rob K said…
Hey, Jay!

That is such a great observation about elevators being symbolic of our feelings of helplessness and vulnerability.

You have absolutely no control over this situation and all you can do is hope to get out in one piece.

I'm sorry about your childhood experience. That elevator sounds absolutely terrifying--especially that business of stopping below the level of the floor. That happened at a public housing complex in New York back in 1980s and a man was killed. (I won't say how, but it was horrible!)

And that caretaker should have been forced to ride that elevator for the rest of his miserable life!

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’