Where There is Darkness...

We need to be more like Kelsie.

Kelsie is a comfort dog I had the great fortune of meeting today during a 9/11 memorial service at St. Paul’s Chapel at Broadway and Fulton Street.

Her handler, a very nice woman from the Tri-State Canine Response Team, told me that she and her canine colleagues respond to all kinds of emergencies, including the mass shooting at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando.

And they were at Ground Zero today, where they most definitely needed, even after all this time.

It’s been 17 years since I stood outside the Brook Brothers store across the street from the World Trade Center and watched smoke pouring out of the North Tower; 17 years since the second plane slammed into the South Tower moments later and we all ran, while the towers and the world as we knew it came crashing to the ground.

I think about the people I met on that day, like the elderly lady I helped to her feet after she collapsed in shock when the attack began.

I think about the Japanese businessman who spoke virtually no English and who was so stunned by what he had seen that I had to lead him around by the hand like a child.

I’m thinking about three young men who came into the basement of a nursing home on Water Street where I and many others had gone to escape the massive clouds of debris from the fallen towers that rolled through the streets—clouds that are still killing people to this very day.

One of the young men had been blinded by the dust and he had a hand on his friends’ shoulder, while holding his shirt over his damaged eyes. Where are those three companions today?

It is in Giving that We Receive

My father marked his 80th birthday on that terrible day. He left this world in 2007 but I’m thinking more and more about him lately and I’m happy to say that the good memories are outnumbering the bad ones.

I haven’t been in Manhattan on 9/11 for a few years now and while I can’t say it felt good to back, it did feel right and proper that I returned to this location instead of watching the memorial ceremony on television.

I got in the city early to take my boxing class and I took a few minutes to walk around the neighborhood while it was still dark and relatively free of people.

I found myself getting angrier and angrier as I thought about how we had learned nothing from the September 11 attacks.

I don’t like saying that, but when you look at how we have become so divided, so hateful toward one another since that day, it’s pretty hard to find any beams of light in all the darkness.


After class, I went back to the Brooks Brothers store to pray and give thanks and then I headed over to St. Paul’s for the ceremony.

We recited the Prayer of Saint Francis, where we asked the Lord to make us instruments of His peace, and then the reverend rang the Bell of Hope, a gift from London, at 8:46AM to mark the moment the first plane struck.

I consider the Prayer of St. Francis an oath, a sacred promise to God that we will put aside hatred and respond with love. And meeting Kelsie reinforced that belief.

I started getting teary-eyed while patting Kelsie’s head as she radiated a kind of goodness that puts humanity to shame.

We have to be more like Kelsie and the other comfort dogs, who give us so much and ask for so little in return. Maybe if we behaved more like them, we’d be less inclined to start wars, imprison children, and crash airplanes into office buildings.

Maybe these dogs should be teaching us old humans some new tricks.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I don't think I remember that being your father's birthday. I always think of how sad it must be for those born on the actual day.

I've also been thinking how we haven't learned anything. Has America ever been so hateful and divided, at least since the Civil War? Well, I guess Vietnam, too. I think we are just more aware of it, thanks to social media. Personally, I'd prefer not to know.

Love your last line!
Rob K said…
Hi, Bijoux!

It's terrible to have a birthday associated with such a terrible day. I suppose the Civil War was the worst time in our history, but the current climate is looking awfully shaky. And good point about social media, which I think makes things much worse.

Take care!
Ron said…
Rob, this is THE most beautiful post I've read today concerning 9/11. It literally brought tears to my eyes.

I was off today, so I sat at home early this morning watching the Memorial services, as I sat there crying my eyes out because no matter how much time passes, 9/11 still affects me to my core. And yes, I remember many years ago when I was in NYC with my friend Valerie and you took us to the spot at Brooks Brothers, to show us were you stood on that day as you watched the whole horrible nightmare take place before your eyes. Honestly, I don't how you were able to survive that, mentally and emotionally, because I can't even imagine what it must have been like to witness all that happened that day, and then continued working there years later.

I also remember you taking us to St Paul's that day; showing us the inside, where so many of the firemen went for refuge that day.

I would have gotten teary eyed while patting Kelsie as well. How sweet is she? What a precious and loving face.

"Maybe these dogs should be teaching us old humans some new tricks."

Amen, brother. AMEN!

Thanks so much for sharing this today, buddy. I was hoping you would post something about 9/11. I almost went into Manhattan today myself, but changed my mind because I thought I would end up breaking down completely and crying all day. However, I may be coming in sometime next week and visiting the Memorial.
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron, thanks for those wonderful comments!

And thanks for reminding about you and Val coming into the city. That was the first time we met in the real world--what a great day!

You were probably wise not to come in today. I was tearing up every five minutes and when I got home and switched on the TV to watch the family members reading the names of the victims, well, let's just say the floodgates really opened up!

Kelsie was such a sweetheart! I couldn't help getting all weepy when I was petting her!

Shoot me an email if you're coming into town and maybe we can get together!

Take care, buddy!


Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’