Out of Wok

Now I’ll have to get my wonton soup someplace else.

My local Chinese restaurant, the Hot Wok, went out of business last week and yet I still have this urge to swing by and pick up an order.

The Hot Wok was my go-to place on many a Friday night, when I gave into the call of the comfort zone, got a vat on wonton soup and a mound of fortune cookies, before scurrying on home to watch the latest offering from Netflix. (Exciting life I lead, no?)

The Hot Wok is—was—located at 69th Street off Narrows Avenue, the middle store in a trio of businesses that I like to call “Bachelor’s Row,” starting with the pizzeria on the corner, the Wok, and then the deli, all lined up and waiting for the man who doesn’t feel like cooking.

I had noticed their gate was down and I prayed that they were just on vacation, but when I called them, I got the “number is no longer in service” message. A few days ago, one of the customers at the deli confirmed the awful truth: the Hot Wok was no more.

I’m still bummed about this, and not about just the food. The people were great and they were very nice to me. After my accident the owner—I’m sorry I never got her name—greeted me so warmly when I started walking around the neighborhood again.

And her daughter Vicky liked to break my chops whenever I came in. One night she put me through a spirited version of the why game, where she greeted all my responses to her questions with a “why?”

“What is your name?” she began.

“Rob.”

“Why is your name Rob?”

“My parents liked the name.”

“Why did your parents like the name?”

That went on for 10 solid minutes of hilarious torture. By the time I got my order, Vicky was doubled over laughing at her own schtick, while I grabbed my soup and ran like hell.

Too Damn High

Vicky would often stick her tongue at me when I walked by, but I’d just take out my phone to get her picture and she’d quickly cease and desist.

And now the whole family is gone as if they never existed. They made no announcement and left no forwarding address.

The place served good food and it was always hopping on a Friday night. The phone would ring nonstop and the owner would take my order while handling the customer on the line.

I suspect the Hot Wok was done in by high rents, an on-going nightmare in New York that’s driving small business out of existence and filling this town with scores of empty storefronts.

Earlier this year, Mayor de Blasio suggested slapping blood-sucking landlords with a vacancy tax if they keep their stores empty in hopes of scoring top dollar rents.


If something isn’t done, the city will lose its mom and pop stores and funky little businesses and all we’ll have left will be banks, chain stores, and fast food joints.

And speaking of rents, my great blogging buddy Ron had to pull the plug on his dream to move back to New York from Philadelphia because he can’t afford to live here.

I’m sure there are plenty of people scrubbing their plans to move here while long-tine residents are moving to places with cheaper rents.

The thing is we need local businesses like the Hot Wok and we need people like Ron to give this city character and color. We don’t need any more hedge fund managers, real estate tycoons, or Russian oligarchs buying up every inch of available space in New York.

And adding to all this confusion is the fact that my own situation is up in the air now and I’m looking a new direction. The Summer of 2018 is certainly ending on harsh note.

Last night I went to the Panda on Third Avenue to get an order of wonton soup. The people are very nice and the soup isn’t bad, but it’s a longer walk from my home and there’s no Vicky to tease me.

I’m just hoping these people can stay in business.

Comments

Ron said…
Oh Rob, I am so sorry to hear about our favorite Chinese restaurant, the Hot Wok, going out of business. It sounded like a great place, filled with uniqueness and lots of character. So many customers who come into my store while visiting Philly, will often say the same thing..."New York is so expensive to live, and has become so homogenized with chain stores, losing all its mom and pop stores because they're being forced out by insane rents." That's why so many New Yorkers are moving to Philly, because it's cheaper. Yet, I have a feeling that eventually Philly will get like NY because they want to get in on the money. I can sense it already.

As I shared in my post last week, I know how expensive NY can be because I used to live there. However, the rents have gotten to the point where only the rich can live, and live without fear of surviving.

And it's sad because I LOVE NYC with all my heart because there is no city like it. But I had to finally realize that I couldn't move there and then constantly worry that I might not make it.

Thanks so much for the shout out, buddy. If you ever decided to leave NY and relocate to Philly, let me know because I can forward you any information you might need.

Have a great Labor Day!
Bijoux said…
Isn't it terrible? I read that the schools in San Fran are going to have to build separate housing for teachers, because no teacher can afford to live in that city anymore.

I have never heard of a vacancy tax, but it's not a bad idea. Everyone in my small town is annoyed by the fact that we have a dozen banks, but few places to eat.
Rob K said…
Hi, Bijoux:

It's incredible, isn't it? And thanks for mentioning the banks. We've got dozens of them around my neighborhood, too. Too bad no one's got any money.

My brother and his family recently moved out of the Bay Area after living there for decades. They're in Fort Collins, CO now and they seem to like it.

Take care!
Rob K said…
@Ron!

Hey, buddy, what's up?

The chain store issue is very important. We have all these stores that can be found anywhere else in the country, so why come here? Revived Broadway musicals will only get you so far. We're becoming Generica, as the saying goes.

The rich are turning New York into their own little country club, where everybody else is cordially invited to visit briefly and then fuck off.

Thanks for the Philly invite and it may happen yet now that my career situation is in flux. But I haven't given up on L.A. yet, as crazy as that sounds.

Take care!
CrystalChick said…
Sorry to hear a fav place is no more. :( Hey, the takeout and Netflix aren't just for bachelors... we know the pizza people up the road, where to go for sushi, eat in and take out, and the local Heritage does our hoagies just right. And we eat on tray tables in front of the t.v. many nights. Excitement all around! lol

What's happening there, is here too... even places in Philly are being fixed up, and while that sounds great, they are going from low income housing to sky high preppy pads or something like that because there is not nearly as many middle income places to be found anymore. Sad.

Glad you found the Panda, hope you get to enjoy their takeout for a long time! :)
Rob K said…
Hey, Mary, how's it going?

I stand corrected on the Netflix-takeout routine. :) Of course the plan is open to couples as well! And you're so right about the vanishing middle income places. It's spooky and, yes, sad!

Take care!
Jay said…
Ugh ... sorry that's happening in NYC too. Our UK cities are plagued with this phenomenon. Our local mall is full of the 'usual suspects' with almost no independent stores at all ... wait ... actually, I can't think of a single independent in that place. The High Street is full of fast food, coffee shops, banks, phone shops, vape shops, key cutters, pawn shops, pound shops (like your dollar stores) and charity shops. Close by it broadens out into restaurants, estate agents, employment agencies. We've lost nearly all our interesting, independently-owned shops due to high rents and other overheads.
Rob K said…

Oh, gosh, Jay, I'm sorry to hear this. I thought this was just a New York problem. I guess pretty soon we'll be living on Wal-Mart world, earning slave wages and eating fast food. Ugh...

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected