Tooth and Fail

All I wanted was a tube of toothpaste.

A simple shopping trip went full-on fiasco this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, as a I dragged my bloated self through the day in a tryptophan stupor.

I did actually accomplish a few things one day after a fabulous turkey dinner with my sister and auntie.

I got my printer back online after getting my computer’s operating system replaced, a relatively easy task that I had inflated to crisis-level proportions through the power of my nervous disposition.

And I made some (very) minor progress in cleaning up my computer room, though that job is a long way from done.

I finally got out of the house in the late afternoon to do some shopping and treat myself to a much-needed massage, but first I stopped off at a neighborhood thrift store for the aforementioned toothpaste. And that's when the owners’ kids decided to rub me the wrong way.

The lady who owns the place has two lovely daughters and a really cute little boy. The two girls were acting a bit rowdy upon my arrival and I suspect I amped them up a bit as I laughed while the oldest daughter danced and sang what sounded like a Chinese nursery rhyme

The little brother very slowly and deliberately chomped on a candy bar and would continue to do so throughout my visit.

I rummaged around the place until I found the toothpaste and walked up to the cash register whereupon the oldest girl squinted at me and dropped the bomb.

“Are you a boy?”

“What?” I shrieked.

“Are you a boy?” she repeated.

“Yes, of course, I am,” I sputtered. “Why would you ask me something like that?”

Return to Gender

I stood there clutching my tube of Crest and wishing I had stayed the hell in bed. My ego is fragile enough without getting the piƱata treatment from an 8-year-old.

“Why you wear that?” she said, indicating my earring.

Now I’ve had this stud in my left ear for nearly 20 years now and I barely think about anymore. Apparently, however, other people do.

“Boys can wear earrings,” I protested. “Maybe I’m a pirate!”

I should’ve clammed up right then and there, but, no, Joe Schmuck had to lift his ski cap and displayed his hairless pate.

“Here,” I said, as florescent beams bounced off my coconut. “Girls don’t do this!”

I know there are women who shave their heads, but I wanted to keep things simple for my audience. However, all I did was get the middle daughter riled up.

“How come you got no hair?” she asked.

“I shaved it all off!” I shouted.

“They ask a lot of questions,” their mother said with a trace of weariness.

They certainly do. I was waiting for the baby brother to give me the business, too, but he was far too busy munching on that candy bar and I suspect he would keep doing so even if Satan himself crashed up through the floor and started singing “Swanee River.”

I grabbed my package, got my change and got the hell out of there before those kids found something else about me to mock.

Now being a good Catholic boy I must confessed that I was only moderately flustered by their antics.

The truth is I loved every second of this adorable abuse and since this is the time of year for giving thanks, let me add this little episode to the list of things I’m thankful for this year.

But I think next time I’ll get my toothpaste somewhere else.

Comments

Jay said…
HA! Look, I was drawn in here today, by good ol' Cap'n Jack - you did that on purpose, didn't you? ;)

I'm glad you had a good thanksgiving. Kids, huh? They do your ego no good at all, but they can be such fun if you go with it!

Bijoux said…
What the heck? Did these kids grow up in rural Kansas? Lol!

Rob, I would have stressed over the whole printer hook up as well. I'm so tired of technology.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux, what's up?

I'm tech-frazzled myself. I guess I'm a fossil, but I'm so sick of spending my waking hours with tech support.

Those kids were really cute. In the immortal words of Art Linkletter, "kids say the darnedest things." And they always say them to me!

Rob K said…
@Jay

Ah-ha! You fell right into my trap!

Just kidding, I just wanted a picture of a guy with an earring and the captain seemed to be the most obvious choice!

Thanksgiving was great and those nutty kids may have put a hurting on my ego, but they also put a smile on my face.

Take care!
BrightenedBoy said…
I'm guessing these kids were Chinese? That degree of forthrightness seems to be very common in non-Western cultures; I'm a teacher at a school that is 100% Native American, and the students are endlessly fascinated by the fact that I, a "boy," have long hair. You sound more patient than me, though; I've gotten a little stern in responding to some of the nasty sentiments they direct at me and each other. Cultural diversity be damned lol.
Ron said…
Rob, isn't something how kids have no "filter" on what they think or/and say? I used to teach a creative dramatics class at a summer camp in Florida many years ago, and one of things I immediately learned about kids (especially the younger ones) is that they spontaneously say whatever they want; whenever they want. Kids are so curious, they question EVERYTHING.

You're right, they can really shock you with what they say, but at the same time....put a smile on your face :)

So glad to hear that you had a FAB Thanksgiving with your sister and auntie. Also glad to hear that you got your computer/printer back up and working.

Have a grrrrrreat week, buddy!
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron, yes, kids never do cease to amaze me with the crazy stuff they say.

They do question everything, as you said, and that might not be a bad idea for some adults. If something doesn't make sense, it's all right to question it, as long as you do so respectfully.

But these kids made me laugh and that's a good thing. Hope you had a fabulous holiday, buddy, and have a great week!


Rob K said…
@Brightenedboy:

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Yes, these kids were Chinese and they're just adorable. All kids have a tendency to run their mouths--at least they do so with me!

Point well taken about the nasty sentiments, but, honestly, this wasn't the case. I'm more fed up with alleged adults and their ugly cracks.

It amazes--and angers me--when someone makes a comment about me being bald--like I intentionally lost my hair. It was very painful for me when I was younger, but now that head-shaving is in fashion, it doesn't bother me as much. Still it's stupid and rude and in this age of fat-shaming, I think we hairless types should claim oppressed minority status, too!

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected