Day One

I am born...

All right, let's get this show on the road. This is my first post on my first blog.

I am 47, marooned in Brooklyn without a job, wife or children. Most of my big dreams have crashed and burned like the Hindenburg, but that hasn't stopped me from climbing on the next bag of hot air and heading back into the sky.

Before being laid off I was a reporter for several years, a profession I never really cared for, other than it allowed me a chance to write. I confess I got a lot of great experiences out of journalism, but then I looked up and 15 years had gone by.

Getting a job and getting a lover seem to have a lot in common. You want them, you need them, but as soon as you get them, you're thinking, "Jesus, I gotta get the hell out of this."

You usually settle for them, taking a job/lover you're not too crazy about just to meet the immediate needs of paying the bills or companionship (Sex).

You've got to go through rigorous examinations declaring your love or loyalty, often when you're lying through your teeth. And no matter how awful the job or relationship may be, nothing hurts more than getting that pink slip or rejection, whatever the case may be.

I'm an expert in both areas, having been fired and dumped repeatedly. And I see similarities in both areas, as I pursued jobs and women that weren't my type, not interested in me or were just plain crazy.

But with the unemployment about the run out I've got to find a job and thus have something to say when I meet a nice woman outside of the "I'm between jobs" line.

This first month of the new year has been particularly brutal. One woman I've been trying to date told me she went off to Vermont with some guy on New Year's Eve, and another woman dropped off the face of the earth after our first date. She won't answer my e-mails and the cell phone number she gave me has gone dead. I reckon she didn't have a good time, or maybe she went into the Witness Protection Program .

Well, I've got a job interview tomorrow with some business trade magazine and I can't tell you how excited I am. But I'll smile, say all the right things and do my damnedest to score. There's got to be someone out there for me...

Comments

Calamity Jen said…
Okay, so I'm really late in commenting. I've finally found some time to start reading your blog from the beginning. I don't know if you'll ever notice these comments or if they will linger unread in cyberspace, but I offer my two cents anyway:

You aren't one foot in the grave yet, so there will be plenty more opportunities to find work and to find love.
Rob K said…
Thanks for stopping by, Jen, even if is a little late.

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Enchantment

Missed Connection

Getting Connected