A Moment of Wonder

So, let’s talk about last Christmas.

It’s the holidays once again and I’m thinking about a song and my state of mind from Christmases of long, long ago—or at least 12 months ago.

Okay, first the tune.

Last Christmas” is a song by Wham! that was released on Dec. 3, 1984, back when Ronald Reagan was president, the average cost of a home was $148,000 and Beverly Hills Cop was the No .1 movie in America.

The song spent five consecutive weeks at number two in the UK Singles Chart and it was held off from the top spot by Band Air’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” on which Wham!’s George Michael performed.

Michael wrote “Last Christmas” a year earlier in his childhood bedroom while he and instrumentalist Andrew Ridgeley were visiting George's parents.

He played Ridgeley the song’s introduction and chorus melody, which Ridgeley later called "a moment of wonder".

It was releases as a double A-side via Epic Records with "Everything She Wants" in several European countries. Wham! donated all their royalties to relief efforts for the Ethiopian famine.

“Last Christmas” topped the charts in Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Slovenia, and Sweden and peaked within the top ten of the charts in several countries including the U.S., Australia, and Canada.

Oh, By Golly!

The song has been covered by many artists since its original release, including Whigfield, Crazy Frog, Billie Piper, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. I heard some version of the song last night while having dinner with my sister.

But as I think about the song, I recall my last Christmas and how my spirits weren’t bright. In fact, they were non-existent. Even Crazy Frog couldn't have cheered me up.

“I just don’t have the usual enthusiasm, which is no way to feel about the most wonderful time of the year,” I wrote last Dec. 25.

I never did figure out what was bugging me, why I had a soul of ice while the rest of the world was making merry. This most special day felt like any other and it bummed me out something fierce.

Well, I am happy to report that I have reclaimed my Christmas spirit, or as much as geezer of my age and condition can have in this magical season.

Yes, Virginia, there may not be a Santa Claus, but there are plenty of good times to be had with the people we love.

We’ve got all the beautiful music, twinkling lights, decorated trees, and so many holiday movies that even the truly atrocious ones are entertaining in their own revolting way. (Though admittedly I’ve never seen Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.)

Tonight, I will once again conduct my self-invented Christmas Eve tradition of lighting a candle in my window to guide the spirits of my parents and other family members to my home.

I will give thanks for being here spend another Christmas with my loved ones and tomorrow I’ll head over to my sister’s house for a fabulous dinner.

Of course, we all know that real life with all its misery, meanness and mayhem is just waiting to resume tormenting us the very minute the ho-ho-ho-ing comes to a halt.

But until that time, let us enjoy our moments of wonder.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Jay said…
Ah, Rob. You've done it again, and touched my heart. I so understand the feeling of Christmas losing its magic and feeling really bummed about that, so I'm really really happy that you've regained your wonder and joy at this time of year! I was afraid that I'd feel like that again this year, because thanks to my dearly beloved being thoroughly out of action and having to do all that he normally does myself, as well as the Christmas preparations, but my beautiful grandchildren and their parents rescued me! Happy New Year to you and yours, Rob. May 2024 be a good, peaceful and hopeful one.
Rob Lenihan said…

Oh, dearest, Judy, thank you so much!

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I'm sending you all kinds of love, prayers and healing vibes.

Your grandchildren are indeed very beautiful! They are the best antidote to anything that ails you!

Happy New Year to you and all you love!
CrystalChick said…
I'm glad you were able to feel the Christmas spirit this year! That's a nice tradition. I'm sure dinner at your sister's was very enjoyable.

Have you heard of 'Whamageddon'? Apparently, it's a game where people try to avoid hearing Wham's 'Last Christmas' from 12/1-12/24. People post on social media with the hashtag if they do hear it and are then out. You can listen to any version other than the original by Wham and still be ok.
Bijoux said…
I’m having pretty negative thoughts about the holidays after this year. I hope I can regain the Christmas spirit in 2024. But, I’ve always liked both the Band Aid and Wham Xmas songs. Thanks for your well wishes on my blog.
Rob Lenihan said…
@Dear Bioux!

I hope you're feeling better and wish you and your family the happiest of new years.

I am so thankful for your support and kindness all these years and I look forward to the day I can tell you that in person.

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’