'Make My Grumbling Cease'

So, what was I doing in 1994?

The question came to mind the other night while I was washing the dishes.

I noticed that the towel I was using to dry off the plates and silverware was an old cloth calendar that had once hung in the kitchen at my parents’ house.

That year caught my eye. I couldn’t believe this thing in my hands had survived nearly four decades.

The calendar bears the image of a house with a picket fence and trees on either side. Near the top there are a pair of roosters crowing on either side of a scroll bearing the Kitchen Prayer.

Lord, warm all the kitchen with thy love,” it reads, “and light it with thy peace. Forgive me all my worry and make my grumbling cease.

I’m particularly fond of that last line since it would pretty much take an act of God to get me to cease my grumbling.

There’s little doubt that my mother had picked out this calendar. She had fondness for colonial theme décor and these cloth calendars fit in much better than any of the freebies we from the bank.

The calendars were hung on the door leading to the basement and I don’t think I ever used one to check the actual date. They were more decorative than anything else.

They also pulled double duty. Once they year was over, we put up a new calendar and used the old one to dry the dishes.

“Waste not, want not,” Mom used to say.

This week marks the 11th anniversary of the day we sold our parents’ house. It’s hard to believe it’s been that long, harder to believe that house no longer belongs to us.

Long, Long Time Ago...

We had to clean some 60 years’ worth of stuff out of there and it was such emotional time as we literally dug through our family’s history. I took a bunch of stuff to my new home, including sheets, towels and, yes, dish cloths.

Back in 1994, I was working at a newspaper in Waterbury, Conn., having moved there a few years earlier from Stroudsburg, Pa.

I turned 37 that year—and I thought that was old back then.

I wasn’t the happiest fellow on Planet Earth to be blunt, and I made no effort to cease my grumbling. In fact, I think there was a part of me that enjoyed it.

My parents were very much alive, my nieces were still children and our family house still belonged to our family.

This was also the year of the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding ice capade.

The Channel Tunnel opened between England and France, Lorena Bobbitt was found temporarily insane for cutting off her husband’s yin-yang the year before and the Brady Law, which imposed a waiting period to buy a handgun, went into effect.

Bill Clinton was the U.S. President and Nelson Mandela was officially sworn in as the first black President of South Africa.

The year saw the debut of such films as Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Schindler’s List, and The Shawshank Redemption. On the small screen, Friends began its 10-season run.

This was the year O. J. Simpson did his Ford Bronco crawl from the LAPD and a baseball strike led to the cancellation of the World Series for the second time in history.

A lot has changed since we first hung that calendar. My parents have left this world, our house belongs to someone else, my nieces are adults, and I am officially a senior citizen.

I’m still grumbling, but I’m working on it. On the good days, I’m able to focus on the warmth of love, the light of peace, and the memories of good times and great people.

Comments

I have one of those calender tea towels, too! Mine is from Australia and was given to me by a dear family friend, now deceased. Every time I use it I think of her, and the date reminds me of all that happened that year (including our wedding). It's worn pretty thin now, because it's over four decades old!

PS - I'm an inveterate grumbler too. I think it's healthier than bottling it all up, but of course you do have to be careful who you grumple to, and what you grumble about. Meditation is teaching me the habit of gratitude, and it is beginning to help!
Rob Lenihan said…

Oh, Jay, what a lovely story. Thank you so much for sharing it.

It's amazing how much emotion can be packed into a simple piece of cloth.

Mediation is such a beautiful experience and gratitude is helping to keep me sane. When I'm really low, I'll name all the family and friends I'm grateful for--living and deceased--and I always feel better.

And I am especially grateful to have you in my life!
Bijoux said…
I also grew up with the cloth calendar that hung in our eat in kitchen. And that was then used as a dish towel. My parents left my childhood home in 1991, but then moved three more times. You’d think they would have disposed of stuff along the way, but I did come across a cloth calendar a few weeks ago while working on my mom’s basement. At the rate I’m going, I’ll be finished cleaning it out in 2030. Yes, that’s grumbling!
Rob Lenihan said…

Hey, Bijoux!

The cloth calendar was a part of so many people's lives. And I know all about cluttered basements after my experience with cleaning out my parents' house.

Grumble away! I'll always have a sympathetic ear for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected