Letters of Transit

I came bouncing up the stairs to my apartment Friday afternoon all set to start the holiday weekend when I made the mistake of looking at my mail.

I had spent most of the afternoon in Manhattan for a real-world meeting my supervisors.

I’ve been working with these people for a while, but we’ve always communicated through Slack or on the phone, thanks to the damn Covid.

It felt good to finally put the faces to the voices.

I took the express bus and from the city. It’s more expensive, but it’s also more comfortable, more convenient and more relaxing, especially in light of increasing crime, including a mass shooting last week at a subway station just 40 blocks from my house.

An older gentleman at my bus station on Shore Road told me the express bus has been extremely crowded following the shooting, which is hardly surprising.

We chatted about life in the city, why someone would do something like that, and then masked up and got on board the X27.

I met up with supervisors at a French restaurant in Chelsea, and it almost felt like we were back in the pre-plague days, before masks and social distancing--except that we were eating in one those massive wooden sheds that sprung after the pandemic came to town.

This was Good Friday, so being a good Catholic boy, more or less, I skipped meat and went for the mussels, which were tasty, but a bit awkward to eat.

I caught back home at around 2:30pm and when I stepped off the bus, I saw the same older gentleman I had seen going into the city. We had managed to take the same buses to and from Manhattan.

We both laughed at the coincidence, and I walked into my house feeling pretty good about the world.

Let Me See Your Papers

And then I saw the damn mail.

It appeared to be the usual mix of junk and bills, but there was one that looked spookily official.

Of course, I immediately thought the worst. I was being served with a subpoena, a summons or a lawsuit.

Whatever it was, I was convinced it was going to be horrible news.

I hemmed and hawed a bit before I finally pulled the envelope open and found my brand-new passport.

I had been worried about this thing not arriving in time for my trip to Ireland in August, but here it was, less than four weeks after I had shipped out the paperwork.

I was so certain that I had filled out the filled out incorrectly and that I’d have to go down to the passport people and beg them for mercy and now and now here was in my hands—atrocious photo and all.

I was still so twisted that I kept looking the passport over convinced they had gotten my name wrong, but--big surprise--they hadn’t.

I had sent out the passport application on the same day I mailed in my taxes, and I was hoping for a nice refund to put toward my vacation.

However, the state taxes and my accountant’s bill wiped out anything I had gotten from the feds. But I got my passport, so I figure it was a split decision.

I spent today celebrating Easter with my sister and auntie and then tomorrow I’ll be attending a Zoom meeting with niece and sister to discuss our Ireland itinerary.

I’ll sure I’ll find other things to worry about.

Comments

Bijoux said…
That’s great that it arrived in a timely manner. I’m excited for you for your big trip! The planning can often be as fun as the actual experience.
Ron said…
Rob, I am so happy to hear about your passport, and getting it months before you head to Ireland. Good for you for getting it done early.

And speaking of taxes, I thought I'd be getting back MUCH more than I did, but alas, I did NOT get the extra stimulus check that Turbo Tax said I should be getting on my return. However, I didn't OWE them anything and got back some money that I placed into my savings account. This years taxes for so many people I know was wonky. Many of them got nothing back or had to pay.

I bet you are so looking forward to your vacation in August!

Have a superb week, buddy!
Congrats to you, Rob, on getting the passport and now you can look forward to planning that trip to Ireland. We would have liked a tax refund as well, but not so this year. Of course, we're still waiting on our 2020 refund which would have covered the payment due and the CPA's fee. but no such luck.

That was an interesting coincidence on meeting the gentlemen twice on the same day. I can understand how many folks would rather be above ground than below in the wake of the subway shooting.
Rob K said…
@Dorothy, thanks so much!

Still waiting on 2020?! Oh, that blows! Hope you get that refund ASAP.
Rob K said…
@Bijoux:

Oh, thank you so much! We're going to be doing more Zoom meetings to make this thing happen.
Rob K said…

@Hey, Ron:

Sorry you got hosed on the stimulus check. But at least you don't owe.

Thanks for stopping by, Buddy! Have a great week!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’