Come Back to Erin

“Pearls lie not on the seashore. If thou desirest one thou must dive for it.”—Chinese proverb.

Looks like Sting will have to wait. And Paula Abdul is on her own.

My sister and I will be traveling to Ireland in August to meet up with our niece who is studying at Trinity College in Dublin.

This will be a return trip for both of us. I went to Ireland some 40 years ago to take a screenwriting class that had been organized by the School of Visual Arts in New York.

I stayed at Trinity back then and I had such a great time, meeting new people, experiencing a different culture, and drinking far too much.

In fact, I think I still may have a free pass to Lord John’s disco where I got seriously wasted one night. Too bad the place isn’t around anymore.

Just as well, I can’t drink like I did back in my younger days. But you should see me dance.

There was another club called Zhivago’s, which had a huge billboard in downtown Dublin that described it as “Europe’s No.1 Nite Club,” but I never got around to seeing the place.

I had thought about going to Las Vegas in June to see Sting perform, but I’ll probably flag this trip in favor of the Emerald Isle.

I can catch Sting in Atlantic City if I want to, and Las Vegas isn’t going anywhere.

Of course, no vacation plan would be complete without a hefty dose of drama and that kicked off this morning when I found out my passport had expired.

I was under the mistaken impression that I could renew my paperwork online, but, no, I have to fill out a lengthy form, get new passport photos and then mail the whole thing to Irving, Texas with a rather sizeable check.

Peril Before Whine

Even though we’re not leaving until the end of July, I want to get this business settled as quickly as possible, so I called a Rite Aid in my neighborhood today to see if they could help me out with the photos.

Naturally I was kept on hold where I had to listen to Paula Abdul’s 1988 song “Forever Your Girl” for what seemed like…forever.

I wasn’t a fan of this song when it came out and being forced to listen to it while under extreme duress has not improved things. (Nothing personal, Paula.)

Worse yet, an android voice would constantly cut in at the same exact point in the song to tell me that a human being still wasn’t available to help me.

Baby, he could promise me diamonds, even if he promised me—

“Pearls, damn it!” I shouted. “He’s promising her pearls!”

Finally, I got through and they told me to come on up. I race-walked 20 blocks to the store where a very helpful young man took my U.S. government mug shots.

He was just putting the photos into an envelope when a song started playing on the store’s sound system.

Hey baby, you gotta remember, I'm forever your—”

Resisting to urge to scream, I took my photos and bounced on own home.

Tomorrow I’ll head over to the post office and--hopefully--send my paperwork off.

I always get very nervous dealing with government agencies and this week I’m taking on two of them: the State Department for the passport and Internal Revenue for my taxes.

I’m so worried that one my forms will be rejected, I won’t get my passport, I won’t see Ireland, and I won’t be able to get “Forever Your Girl” out of my head.

All right, the last one isn’t so serious. But please Dear Lord, let me get my passport and a tax refund so I can pay for my vacation.

If everything comes together, this could be a pearl of a trip.

Comments

Ron said…
Rob, that's AWESOME!!!! I've never been to Ireland, but it's a country I've always been drawn to because of the photos I've seen. I love that it's a country surrounded by water and is so lush and green.

And speaking of passports, I was going to renew mine last year instead of getting a Real ID to travel with, however, I could not believe how freaking expensive they were?! Back in the late 70's when I flew to Amsterdam, I think passports were only $60.00. Now they are over TWICE that!

I loved your description of being put on-hold and listening to Paula Abdul singing, "Forever Your Girl" LOL! And it's funny you mentioned that song because I just recently heard it and it immediately reminded me of the 80's!!!

I'm sure you are so happy to have your trip in August to look forward to!

Have a fabulous week, buddy!
Bijoux said…
We are lucky here to be able to get our passport papers and photos done at the library. Ireland sounds like a fabulous trip, much better than Vegas! Government agencies make me nervous as well. I'm sure all will be ready by your trip. Have a fabulous first week of Spring!
Rob K said…

Hey, Bijoux!

I wish my library could handle this stuff. I handed in my paperwork today and now I am second-guessing myself something fierce.

I really appreciate your supportive thoughts!

Take care.
Rob K said…

Yo, Ron!

Ireland is a beautiful country. If you get the chance you should check it out.

Passports are ridiculously expensive! And I paid another 50 bucks to expedite my application. And I won't rest easy until I have it in my hands.

Nothing says the Eighties like Paula Abdul!

Take care, buddy!
Ok Rob, you have made both myself and my husband extremely jealous of your upcoming trip to Ireland. It's on our bucket list. We updated our passports last year, not that we were planning to go anywhere or even could travel abroad, but we figured it was better to have them, just in case. Yes, on the cost and even more so because we added in the passport card this time which would be good for travel to Canada and other places. But, we would surely also take along our passports, just in case.

Hope your expediting the process helps and it would be nice to get the tex refund in time. We're still waiting on a refund for our 2020 federal return -- along with many other folks!
Rob K said…

Hey, Dorothy!

You guys are more than welcome to join us!

I can't let my passport expire, but during Covid times travel was the last thing on my mind.

I usually take my passport along even when I travel domestically just in cast the TSA wants additional identification.

Hope you get that refund!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’