The Mystic Seer

“The moon is always full, it’s just our view that is partial.” – Jackie Deakin

Being half-Italian I am prone to being superstitious.

I knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder, avoid black cats and relentlessly search for all kinds of hidden meanings in numbers, dates and events.

I’m not saying any of these actions will ward off bad luck. I just don’t want to take the risk.

Superstition is at the heart of “Nick of Time,” one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.

This one features a pre-Enterprise William Shatner and Patricia Breslin as a pair of honeymooners whose car breaks down in a small Ohio town.

The couple go for lunch at a local diner while their car is being repaired and Shatner soon falls under the spell of a fortune telling machine at their table.

The “mystic seer” dispenses out vague answers to yes or no questions.

So, when Shatner asks if he’s going to get a promotion at work, the machine responds that, “it has been decided in your favor.”

Shatner calls his office and learns that he has indeed been promoted.

He quickly becomes convinced this novelty device can predict the future and he relentlessly shoves pennies into the slot, asking question after question.

I can’t begin to guess how many times I’ve seen this episode and I never grow tired of it.

It’s fascinating watch Shatner’s decent into near madness as he hands over the reins over his life to a machine.

The episode is a warning about giving into fear and irrational beliefs, and it reminds me of a time when, as a teen-ager, I created my own superstition.

Read All About It

I was working part-time at an office in 666 Fifth Avenue (notice that address?) and most afternoons I’d stop by a local newsstand to pick up a paper.

Now the paper at the top of the stack is usually pretty haggard.

It’s been marked by the bands holding the stack together; people will browse through it, and, if the newsstand is outdoors, that top paper usually bears the brunt of all the rotten weather.

As a result, I made a point and taking the second newspaper in the stack.

Why I was so choosy about something I would be tossing away in less than 24 hours I don’t know, but I insisted on having a pristine copy.

The idea was based on logic, but then at some point it veered off into that fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man.

I began telling myself that taking the top newspaper was bad luck.

Nobody told me this. I didn’t get it out of a fortune cookie, and I know my old Italian grandmother never said anything like that—and there was a lady who had a whole litany of superstitions.

I pulled just this one out of thin air. I believe that it might have started off as a little joke I told myself, but I wound up believing my own myth.

I suppose superstitions are an attempt to establish rules for the chaos of life.

When you say breaking a mirror will cause seven years of bad luck, the underlying message is that you’ll be safe as long as you don’t break the looking glass—or so you hope.

The problem with this thinking is that you can start making choices based on fear.

Your superstitions will become limiting beliefs and pretty soon you’ll be taking your marching orders from penny fortune-telling machines.

William Shatner’s character eventually realizes the insanity of his actions and he and his wife leave the diner determined to create their own future.

But when they leave another couple quickly takes their place in the booth and they start ramming coins into the machine, desperate to find out when they should leave town. It’s a very chilling image.

My homemade superstition did not alter my life in any way, and it eventually faded. I get my newspaper delivered now, pretty much eliminating the need to buy a copy.

And I’m going to do everything I can to keep irrational fears from controlling my life.

Knock wood.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I think because I saw how ridiculous my mother could be about superstitions (among many other wacky, unscientific ideas), I never had any. Does that make me ‘lucky’? Ha! Have a great week, Rob.
Jay said…
I haven't seen that episode. When you said 'William Shatner', I thought of the episode where he's a passenger in a plane and keeps seeing a little goblin-like creature on the wing, that nobody else can see. He did a pretty good descent into madness in that one, too!

You're right. We're very good at making up these little myths & superstitions for ourselves, and I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say it's an attempt to bring a bit of order into the chaos of life. So easy to fall into a compulsion to comply with our own mad rules, isn't it? Much, much harder to take that step away. Good to hear that you're managing to do that!
Ron said…
Rob, I clearly remember this episode and thought it was chilling. That one, and the one entitled, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." Twilight Zone was such a great television show that remains a classic because no matter how many times you watch it, it affects you as much as watching it the first time.

Personally, I'm not a superstitious person, however, my mother was. I remember driving with her one time, when a black cat crossed in front of my car. OMG...she literally made me turn around and drive down a different street because she feared that we would have bad luck if we didn't.

Also, theater actors can be very superstitious as well. God forbid you whistle in the dressing room, or say "Good Luck" instead of "Break a Leg." I worked with several actors who truly believed that those things would bring you bad luck onstage.

"And I’m going to do everything I can to keep irrational fears from controlling my life.

Knock wood."

HA! LOVE how you concluded this post!

Have an awesome week, buddy!



Rob K said…
Hey, Ron! What do you say?

"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is most definitely a classic. I love that episode, which is weird given my fear of flying.

So you're an Italian and an actor and you're NOT superstitious?!? That's amazing.

I love that story about your mom making you turn the car around to avoid the black cat! God bless her!

I've heard the stories about actors and "break a leg" but the whistling in the dressing room bit is new to me. Thanks for the info!

Thanks so much for stopping by, buddy! Take care and don't walk under ladders!
Rob K said…
@Jay!

Everybody loves that airplane episode. I think a large part of the appeal is that you have a man who knows he is right, yet nobody believes him.

I think a lot of us have felt that way at some point in our lives and this story connects with that fear.

And you are so right about falling into a compulsion to comply with our own crazy rules.

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Rob K said…
@Bijoux!

I think it's fascinating that you did not inherit your mother's superstitions. And I think it's great.

Life is tough enough without us inventing crazy beliefs.

Take care!
I'm Cuban and also knock on wood, avoid black cats and walking under ladders. :-)

Greetings from London.
After reading this post, Rob, I wondered if I have any superstitions that I was unaware of today. Aside from the ones learnt in childhood about black cats, not stepping on cracks or under ladders, I couldn't think of any. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have any, just couldn't ID them as of this writing.

I was a fan of Twilight Zone as well and will look for the episode you mentioned here. it made me think of the movie, Big, in which the character played by Tom Hanks consulted Zoltar, a fortune telling machine. I'm sure you may also be familiar with the film.



Rob K said…

Hi, Dorothy:

Oh, yes, I love Big and it's interesting that you made that connection.

What's with these fortune telling machines?!? They're nothing but trouble.

I do recommend this episode most highly. And as not being able to name any superstitions, that's all for the good. You're better off without them.

Take care!
Rob K said…
@Cuban in London

Hey, Mario! Looks like we're cut from the same cloth. Let's not walk under ladders together!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’