Night Shifty

No wonder I’m so tired.

I’ve had vivid dreams for most of my life, but during the last week I experienced two back-to-back work-related nightmares that were so intense I should be getting a second paycheck.

These psychotic situations bore no resemblance to my current job, for which I am very grateful.

No, these delusions were a mental milkshake of past experiences, underlying emotional issues and heaping dose of WTF?

The first one found me working at a weekly newspaper in Brooklyn not unliked the one I worked for in the Eighties.

In this dream, I was heading off to cover some kind of occurrence at a local restaurant.

The only problem was I had no idea what kind of occurrence I was covering, although judging by the hostile looks I was getting from the employees, it wasn’t good and they clearly did not want me there.

I grew accustomed to this ill will whenever I showed up at crime scenes and accidents, where people were really just not that into you. It’s part of the job, but at least I knew what was going on.

This was different. I was trying to do my job, get the facts and get the hell out of there, but I couldn’t because I didn’t know what to ask.

And asking what was going on when I was clearly supposed to know would make me look like an idiot.

Somewhere in the midst of my panic attack I looked out the window and saw a sporting goods store that I remembered from my time in the Poconos.

It belonged on Main Street in Stroudsburg, not on Third Avenue in Bay Ridge, but then dreams have a way of twisting reality like a clown making a balloon animal.

And it was around this time that I launched into one of my world famous what-have-I-done-with-my-life laments, as in, why didn’t I move to California when I was younger, why did I become a reporter, etc. before—praise the Lord—I woke up.

The Following Evening...

I crawled out my bed somewhat shaken and started my day.

It’s intriguing that there wasn’t anything particularly terrifying about this dream, as I wasn’t being chased by monsters or attending a Manson family barbecue. This was a kind of low-grade fever dream that gnawed at the innards of my soul.

And it sucked.

Okay, fine, that was just a bad dream. They happen, no big deal, let’s move on.

And the very next night I hit the sack and once again I’m on the nether world time clock.

This time I’m working for Marvel Studios—yes, I finally achieved my dream of working for a major film company. Please, don’t wake me up before you go-go. I want to sleep through this one.

But it turned out that I had screw up something royally. I don’t what I did, but it was a whopper big enough to get me fired--and I knew it was all my fault.

And I wasn’t being sacked by some run-of-the-mill HR dick-bot, oh, no. The higher-ups had sent in the big guns in the form of Robert Downey Jr. (!?) to tell me to hit the bricks.

I remember sitting in my office—oh, man, I had my own office!--waiting and waiting, knowing the worst was going to happen but never certain when the Stark attack would begin.

I finally woke up, working at my current job and vowing to never watch another Robert Downey movie for as long as I lived.

Okay, so what happened here? Clearly my subconscious mind cried havoc and let slip the dogs of regret, fear and self-sabotage.

I let these mutts run around too much during waking hours, so it’s hardly surprising that they show up when the lights are low and make a meal out of my mind.

I’m not sure how Robert Downey got involved in all this. I’m not a fan of most superhero movies, but I did enjoy Iron Man very much. So why is this hump kicking me to the curb?

Clearly I have to do some house-cleaning in my head and maybe then my dreams won’t be so awful.

But I’m keeping a can opener handy just in case.

Comments

Those were quite the interesting dreams, Rob. Coincidentally, I also worked for a newspaper chain but it was a weekly and we hardly never covered any crime or accident scenes (thankfully). My "beat" was community oriented with town council, planning board and school board meetings, feature stories and high school sports (photography only). It is curious that Robert Downey, Jr. was featured in your movie studio dream, but then sometimes dream sequences are hard to figure out. Sadly, I never seem to remember my own in any sort of detail except for wishing that I had not awakened from a few.
Rob K said…

Hey, Dorothy!

So you did the weekly newspaper gig, too? Two years was more than enough for me.

Most of the crime reporting I did was at a daily newspaper in the Poconos. To this day I jump at the sound of fire engine's siren.

Sill working on the Robert Downey angle...

Take care@
Ron said…
Rob, I am so in awe of how detailed your dreams are, and how you remember them. I can't even tell you the last time I remembered a dream. I used to dream A LOT and would recalled them. But that was way back in the 80's-90's, when I used to keep a dream journal and write everything down. I think the last time I remembered a dream was several years ago when I dreamed that the ceiling in my bathroom was leaking water from a waterpipe in the apartment above mine. And wouldn't you know that several days later, I ACTUALLY HAD a water leak from the apartment above mine through the ceiling, I kid you not! When I dream, I very often have premonition-type dreams.

"Please, don’t wake me up before you go-go. "

That made me laughed. You see, that's what I mean when I always say how clever you are at writing, Mr. George Michael (Wham).

That, and the can opener line. LOL!

Have an awesome week, buddy!
Bijoux said…
Dreams are so fascinating! Mine usually involve not being able to find a bathroom or being lost and late. I must lead a boring life! Ha! Hope you have a restful night tonight,
Rob K said…

Hi, Bijoux!

Hey, there's nothing boring about being late, lost, or in need of the facilities. I'm sure these fears crop up in the dreams of many people.

Have a good night!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, what's happening?

A dream diary is a great idea. I record my dreams in my daily journal, but I haven't made a separate diary for the dreamworld.

It's cool that you've experienced premonitions. You've got to start thinking about the lottery!

Take care, buddy, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’