A Moveable Beast

I’ve forgotten just about everything I learned in my high school French class, but the expression bete noir clings to my battered memory like a barnacle on a battle ship.

The literal translation of bete noir is “black beast,” but the dictionary definition is “a person or thing one particularly dislikes.”

I suspect the reason this particular term has lingered for so long in my mind is that there are so many things in this world that keep it alive.

My blogging buddies Ron at Being Ron and Bijoux at Bytes from the Burbs have both written posts about the things they really hate—their bete noirs—so I thought this would be an appropriate time to unleash one of my beasts.

The place: my doctor’s office. The time: Friday morning.

I had gone in to get a blood test and a shingles injection, a seemingly simple affair that somehow morphed into a monster ferocious enough to make Godzilla crap his drawers—should he ever decide to start wearing drawers.

I showed up at 8:30AM, certain I’d bounced out of there in 30 minutes or less. But unbeknownst to me, Fate had rolled up her sleeves, cracked her knuckles and let out a massive, “yeah, right.”

And now here’s where the bete noir rears its ugly kisser.

As I sat in the waiting room trying to read my paper, I started to hear shouting behind me.

I initially thought it was coming from outside, but when I finally turned around I saw a woman sitting by the door watching something rather loud on her I-phone.

No headphones, no ear buds, and absolutely no regard for anyone else in the room.

When I was a kid, the doctor’s waiting room was as quiet as a library.

The only sound you heard was someone fluttering through the pages of a year-old National Geographic.

There Will be Blood

I’m seeing this kind of behavior all over. People will watch or hold video calls on their phones and make no attempt to keep the volume down.

Look, you can watch or listen to any kind of crap you want. Watch until your head explodes—the sooner, the better. But why the hell should I have to hear it?

The staff at the doctor’s office said nothing to the woman nor did any of the other people in the waiting room.

I was furious with this woman, but, to be honest, I’m also angry at myself for not speaking up.

Things only got worse from there and, thanks to some serious incompetence, I staggered out of the doctor’s office nearly two hours later, tired, hungry, and homicidal.

I could overlook must of that misery as just bad luck. But that idiot with the I-phone is gnawing at me.

My aunt had a similar experience at her building last week when she went up to the rooftop to relax and some loser started playing music on her phone.

I never had much use for most of humanity, but I’m starting to wonder if the COVID-19 lockdown has opened up a darker side of ourselves.

It seems like all that time stuck inside has caused some people to forget their manners.

People are driving like lunatics, too: buzzing through Stop signs and red lights, and speeding through residential neighborhoods.

And while most crimes went down last year, the U.S. saw its biggest one-year increase in homicides in 2020.

Now my aunt walks with some difficulty and she pointed out that people have also been incredibly helpful when she goes out.

And I’ve been very fortunate myself in that regard, especailly when I was recovering from my kne surgery, so maybe I should't give up on humanity just yet.

Bete noirs are going to turn up in this life and, if nothing else, they remind us how lucky we are to have the good people.

Comments

CrystalChick said…
What a terrible experience! A blood test and a shot, fairly unpleasant by themselves, shouldn't have been preceded by ignorance and incompetence. Being on the phone in public spaces is something many do... guilty of it myself... but people need to be courteous about it. Talk low, no speaker phone, etc.
You're right though, the bad reminds us of the good we have in other areas.
Have a great week, Rob. :)
~Mary
Ron said…
"I’m seeing this kind of behavior all over. People will watch or hold video calls on their phones and make no attempt to keep the volume down."

OMG Rob, I feel the same damn way. And like you said, why the hell should I (or anyone else) have to hear it? And all that started with the invention of the cell-smart phone because before that, you could only talk to people, or rather, YELL at other people on your home phone. And I think we, who live in cities, are exposed to this even more because there are so many people around us all the time.

Here in Philly as well, there is a tension among the people. And yes, I think some of that has to do with the COVID lockdown, but I think most of it has to do with the media (on all sides) who are constantly perpetuating this tension over and over and over again; creating more tension. This is why I watch very little news anymore.

But I do agree with your aunt, I've witnessed many acts of kindness/helpfulness on the streets as well. I, personally, am trying to do simple things, like making eye contact with people on the streets and saying hello; holding doors open for people; and just sending out "good vibes" to other people. But it's very challenging because there seems to be a lot of tension out there.

And it's ironic you mentioned your long wait in the doctors office because over the summer when I was in the middle of having all my dental procedures done, I was in his office for 2 1/2 hours one day!

Have an awesome week, buddy!
Bijoux said…
I forgot that phrase, so thanks for the reminder! Ugh though on the phone. I’m constantly amazed by people who are having loud conversations, via Bluetooth, while at the grocery store. Not only do they look insane, talking to themselves, but do I really need to hear their beef with their sister? At least while shopping, you can escape them. But I’ve been in dressing rooms, stuck listening to the rude person beside me. At a doctors office, where stress is already high, that’s the last thing you need. I like when some offices have a no cell phone sign.
Rob K said…

Bijoux--YES! A no-call sign! How hard is that? And you're right about the doctor's office being a high-stress zone to begin with.

The loud phone conversations in public places have been going on for a while and they still bug me, but the video watching makes me nuts.

Take care.
Rob K said…
@Ron:

Hey, buddy! You were stuck with your dentist for 2 1/2 hours?!? Yikes! I'd go nuts!

COVID isn't the only culprit for this spate of loutish behavior, and I think we'll be happier if we try to find the good in people. It's just that some days they really make it hard!

Take care, amigo, and thanks for stopping by!
Rob K said…
@Mary:

I've used my phone in public places, but I keep my voice down and try to keep the calls brief. I don't blast videos and ignore everyone around me.

Gotta find the good...gotta find the good...

Take care!
Rob, people can be so thoughtless and I totally agree that those who talk on the phone in any public place fall into that category. It's why I usually have my phone on mute, just because I do not want to be reminded by annoying dings that someone has sent a text message.

A relative has me on a group text list and every time she sends a comment or photo there are comments back, nothing of substance in any. As the relative is my SIL asking her NOT to send any texts could be a sticky-wicket situation. I do check the phone to see if any any messages, emails or calls do need attention (usually not the case). I have set the alerts so that my husband and brother can reach me regardless.

It's also the cell phone companies adding to this sense that everyone "needs" to be in constant comment. A feature of Apple's latest upgrade is that people can share videos they are watching with others and communicate with many others at the same time. Speaking for myself, I neigther need or want that much interaction with others, all the time. quiet time is highly underrated it seems.

Yikes on that long wait for blood work and a vaccine. Perhaps you should have mentioned your annoyance on the loud call to the receptionist. It might have helped you feel a little better.
Rob K said…

Quiet time is highly underrated--yes, Dorothy, you are so right!

It seems that society has declared a war on silence and is determined to fill the void with any idiotic noise it can come up with.

Good point about sounding off to the receptionist. At least I would've felt like I was doing something.

I spend far too much time screwing around on my cell phone--even when I'm on TV. Sounds like a habit worth breaking.

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’