Last One Out

I’m sure going to miss those views.

I returned to my office on Monday for the last time to clean out my desk as my company completes the move to a virtual workspace.

I have the week off and since I don’t feel like risking a run-in with COVID-19, I’m doing yet another stay-cation.

In February 2020, we had moved from our old and spooky location on Wall Street to this wonderful new facility in Brookfield Place overlooking the Hudson River.

We were up on the 27th Floor and we had spectacular views of the city from every window.

I posted photos of the place on Facebook and told everybody and his brother that I couldn’t wait for spring when I would eat lunch outside by the water. It was going to be great.

Two weeks later we shut down the office in response to COVID-19.

Most of us believed at the time that the closure would be brief. We’d return to the office—and normal life—in a few weeks, maybe a few months, at most.

But the body count and infection rates climbed and working from home became the norm.

Management held on to the property for over a year and there was some discussion of returning to the office this month.

Last month, however, the company announced it was shutting down its real-world operations and advised us to stop by the office and clean out our desks.

The walk up from the ferry on Monday felt like a march through a ghost town, as I passed nearly a dozen empty stores, including the New York Club branch at City Hall.

I met a lot of great people and had a lot of brutal workouts at that place. Now I’ve adjusted my membership from the city-wide pass to just my local NYSC gym in Bay Ridge.

Time Capsule

I'm fearful about New York’s future and lately I’ve been thinking a lot about a 1972 song called American City Suite.

The song is actually a medley of three separate tunes that track the deterioration of New York City in the Seventies.

The last part, called “A Friend is Dying,” talks about no one knowing “if she can make it through the night.”

The city has survived disaster before and come back and I really hope it rises from this latest blow. And we’ve had some good news, including the return of Broadway.

But it’s hard to be optimistic when I walked into that painfully empty office.

I felt like an archeologist entering a recently unearthed tomb.

My old work station looked exactly as it did when I walked out 18 months ago.

I saw the sign I pinned to my desk declaring “The Truth is My Light,” my motto for 2020, when I had decided in January that it was going to be a great year.

I found the three two-liter bottles of diet soda under my desk, which I bought last year. I must’ve thought I’d be back soon to pick them up, but I’m going to leave them for the clean-up crew.

That crap is bad enough when it’s brand new; God knows what a year’s isolation had done to the contents.

Opening my drawer, I found my old navy-blue sweatshirt that I used to put on when the air conditioning went up to high and my Colorado coffee mug I had gotten from my brother and his wife in Fort Collins.

I put the stuff I wanted to keep in my backpack and a reusable shopping bag and got ready to leave. But I had to take a walk around the floor.

Lights came on rows of empty desks as I set off motion detectors with my steps; I saw signs of stalled activity everywhere I looked.

I recalled how excited I felt when we first moved in here. The company had such big plans for this place.

I stopped to take a one last look out the window. The views are still incredible, but the world down below has changed forever.

Comments

I think the City will come back. I think the economy will come back. I think the culture and life will come back. I think we'll come back.

It's just democracy I am worried about. We have found out how fragile it is and I am not sure it hasn't been damaged beyond all repair.
Bijoux said…
That’s so sad to me, Rob. I think about people’s mental health more than anything, due to the isolation from working at home. I’m glad my husband’s company is back to being in the office full time.

Maybe this will be the impetus for you to live elsewhere?
Rob K said…

Agree on all counts, Walter. The city is in tough shape now, but I believe it can recover.

Democracy, however, is on the critical list and we have a major political party determined to pull the plug.

God help us all.
Rob K said…
@Bijoux

I think the mental issue is important.

I complained about commuting all the time, but at least I got out of the damn house and spent time with other human beings.

I'm telling myself that this is the last winter in New York, but then I've been saying this for years.

With this job situation I have one less excuse.

Now we'll see...
Ron said…
Rob, first off, beautiful view from that window! As you know, Lower Manhattan is my favorite part of the island. And I've been to Brookfield Place many times and love it. It's like a whole world unto itself.

Even here, I know many people whose prior business locations were shut down due to losing the space because these companies were paying for a space for over a year that they weren't able to use, so now everyone is working from home.

Thank heavens my company is working out of a brick and mortar location, however, last year they were doing everything virtually.

LOVE that sign pinned to your desk. BRILLIANT!

I know that NYC will rebound as it always has. Keep the faith, buddy!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron!

"A world unto itself"--what a fabulous way to describe Brookfield Place.

In addition to the companies, stores, and food outlets, the facility also hosted a number of live events. And so many couples had their wedding photos shot there as well.

I sincerely hope Brookfield--and the rest of the city--do recover from this nightmare.

Glad you're back to bricks and mortar. Stay safe, buddy, and thanks for stopping by!
Whitney said…
I love how you decided that 2020 was gonna be a great year. Late 2019 I made the life decision that I wanted to travel 🧳 Alot. 😳😂
Rob K said…

Hey, Cuz!

Yeah, we all got hosed by 2020 and all our plans went to straight to hell.

Here's hoping 2022 is better!
A bittersweet leaving for sure, Rob, and other companies are doing the same as evidenced by many empty parking lots I have seen in recent weeks. I am glad to have retired many years ago, downsized actually, because I not have liked the isolation, not to mention having to set aside a place in my home to work. Hope it works out for you in more positive ways then you can imagine now.
Rob K said…

Hi, Dorothy:

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

It's a little daunting, as I am feeling a bit isolated. We're in a very challenging time and I'm hoping things will turn around soon.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected