The Man with the Swollen Arm

I wondered if Robert Jones ever got his shot.

I got my first dose of the COVID vaccine on Saturday, a year to the day after I walked out my office for the last time, as the coronavirus rolled into our lives like a toxic fogbank.

That was Friday the 13th and my floor was virtually empty, since most of the staff had taken advantage of our company’s offer to work from home.

I wasn’t wearing a mask back then, which seems unbelievable today, but I was washing my hands every five minutes.

Broadway was going dark, the St. Patrick’s Day parade had been cancelled, and the world was shutting down.

I had entertained some bizarre notion of going to my boxing class after work that day, but my auntie scared me out of it.

My gym recently reopened, but there are no classes yet and who knows when they’ll ever start up again. I miss all the people in that boxing class and I hope like hell they’re all healthy and safe.

I left the office that day thinking I’d be back in a month or so. I might have left a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke under my desk, but I’m no in hurry to get it back.

My auntie helped me out again last week when she told me that the age requirement for the vaccine had been lowered and that I was now eligible.

I had hoped to go to someplace within walking distance, but all the local drug stores were out of the vaccine, so I wound up very reluctantly going to NYU Langone, where I had gotten my knee surgery three years ago.

Nothing personal, but hospitals in general make me nervous, even more so now with the pandemic, and this particular place gets me going because of the bad memories associated with my accident.

I arrived ridiculously early, of course, nervous as hell, and I guess that showed through my mask because the woman checking temperatures at the front door seemed to be in a playful mood.

Keeping Clear of the Joneses

“You have a fever,” she said after zapping my forehead.

“No, I don’t.”

“Yes, you do.”

I stared at her. I felt fine, but she was so convincing. So, I had wasted my time and energy getting down here and I’d have to reschedule?

“Go right through that door,” she said, letting me in on the joke.

I enjoy a good laugh, but I don’t think this was the time or place to be yanking someone’s chain.

Luckily, the other staffers were much more helpful. I pulled up a chair, got out my book, and prayed my weak kidneys wouldn’t force me to give up my seat and potentially miss my turn.

Of course, none of the happened and I was soon paired up with a doctor who rattled off a series of questions about my health.

I couldn’t help noticing that her computer screen bore the name “Robert Jones” instead of yours truly and I politely informed her that I was not that particular dude.

“You’re not?” she asked.

Oh, Christ, another comedian? If I want laughs I’ll watch reruns of Mr. Ed. Just give me my freaking shot and let me get the hell out of here.

But the doctor quickly realized her mistake.

“Thanks for catching that,” she said.

Sometimes it pays to be a nosy bastard.

The staff had all the vaccinated sit in a waiting area for 20 minutes to make sure there were no immediate problems.

Today I feel a little soreness around the injection spot on my left arm and let’s hope that’s the worst of it.

We have lost 2.7 million people to the coronavirus, with nearly 535,000 in the U.S. alone.

In the last year we have suffered through unimaginable losses, along with an intensely hateful presidential election, and an honest to God insurrection.

We’ve had dangerous, blatantly false arguments over wearing masks, and even today--this very morning--at my gym, one of the club employees had to boot out some imbecile who had tried to enter without wearing a mask.

No vaccine for ignorance, I’m afraid.

I’m scheduled to return for my second shot on April 3. Robert Jones is on his own.

Comments

Ron said…
Good catch, Rob! And yes, it pays to be nosey because if you hadn't, they would have assumed you were "Robert Jones!"

I've heard various feedback from people who have gotten the vaccine. Some say they second shot was when they felt a reaction. Others say they they had no reaction. And I also read that men and women react differently because of different hormones. Men seem to have no reaction.

"I wasn’t wearing a mask back then, which seems unbelievable today..."

Isn't it amazing to think that it was a YEAR ago when all this happened? I was talking to a customer yesterday and said that it's going to actually be strange to NOT see people in masks because I've gotten so used to seeing them. It's like they've become part of our face!

Have an awesome week, buddy! And say hello and love to New York for me. Hopefully, I'll be there sometime in the next few months!
Bijoux said…
I’m right behind you, Rob! I’m going to post about it in the next few weeks. I’m so happy you were able to easily get an appt and that you’re not having any side effects. Think about me this Wednesday! Can you believe it’s been a year?
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux, great to hear!

I'm sure all will go well on Wednesday and you know that you have my prayers and support.

And, no, I can't believe it's been a year.

Take care!
Rob K said…
@Ron

Hey, buddy, how's it going?

I've also heard that the second shot is the one to look out for. I'll know in a few weeks.

You're so right about people looking strange without masks. I dashed down to the corner this morning without a mask to drop off some mail and it felt so strange having my face exposed.

We'd love you to see you in New York, Ron! The sooner, the better!

Have a great week!
Yeah to you, Rob, for getting the first shot. We got the second this weekend and aside from a sore arm, no other side effects. Hope that's the same for you as well. That humor certainly wasn't very funny since you were already a bit nervous. Even though we are now vaccinated, we are still wearing masks and hopefully one day this too can cease. Hope more folks get vaccinated so we can all enjoy life a bit more.

Do you think the cike bottle will still be under your desk IF you ever return to the office?
Rob K said…
Hey, Dorothy:

Glad to hear that you guys are experiencing no side effects. My family and I fully intend to wear masks for a while yet, vaccines notwithstanding.

And I'm not holding out hope for that Diet Coke bottle...

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’