Elegant Mansion

I walked through an elegant mansion this week without ever leaving my home.

I’m not referring to an actual structure, of course. Covid-19 has severely restricted my travel plans and I don’t know anybody who owns a mansion.

I’m referring to an acupressure point officially known as Kidney 27, but, come on, “Elegant Mansion” just sounds so much better.

And, right now, it’s some place I really want to be.

The spot is located roughly one inch from the midline on the lower border of the collar bone.

The point strengthens the immune system, which is certainly reassuring during these plague days, and it’s also important to me as a card-carrying hypochondriac who has had immune system problems over the years.

In addition, Kidney 27 helps with tension, anxiety, worry and depression, all of which have been unwelcomed guests in my life for as long as I can remember.

I have a fascination with many so-called alternative therapies, like acupuncture, qigong, Jin Shin Jyutu, and EFT, or emotional freedom tapping.

All of these treatments are based on acupuncture points on the body and they are intended to release energy, or chi, and promote healing.

And in addition to boosting your energy, many of these points have terrific names like “Window of the eye,” “Crouching Rabbit,” “Sea of Blood,” “Grasping the Wind,” and “Willpower Room.”

I came across Kidney 27 last week while reviewing a qigong video on YouTube by qigong practitioner Steve Washington entitled “How to Manage Fear.”

Root of the Spirit

I like to do a qigong routine every morning and I recently discovered Washington’s channel. In the video he demonstrates how to touch this particular part of the body while talking us through a brief meditation.

“Take this time to connect to your breath,” he tells us with his hand on the point, “and also use your imagination to reflect upon what this poetic name of ‘elegant mansion’ might mean to you.”

What does elegant mansion mean to me…? When I let my mind go, I almost can see a marvelous old building with a garden and plenty of sunshine…as opposed to what’s happening outside my window right now.

And I can forget about sickness and worry and anxiety and just remain in the present moment.

I’m a non-stop worrier, so having access to such a simple, effective technique is a minor miracle for me. Hell, all you have to do is sit still and relax.

Washington says the Kidney 27 meditation is "a wonderful opportunity to take the power of your mind and steer it in a different direction than on what you are afraid of…”

With each breath, he says, “see if you can release your grip on that thing that may be causing that fear within you, and think of something more beautiful or calming more relaxing.”

He also encourages viewers to empower themselves and do what you need to do in spite of the fear.

Speaking as someone who has been held back far too often by fear, I find this most helpful.

Washington also includes some breathwork and qigong exercises in the video.

There are than 2,000 acupuncture points in the human body and I confess that I often forget which point does what.

But you can still improve your health dramatically if you just memorize a handful of these points and their properties.

It’s snowing again in New York, the coronavirus is still raging through the world, politicians are ripping into each other like rabid dogs, and tomorrow is Monday.

I think that all warrants another trip to the elegant mansion.

Comments

Ron said…
Rob, as you know, I practice Reiki, Reflexology, Aromatherapy, and other alternative therapies, which have been, and continue to be a HUGE support in my life. To be honest, I don't know what I would do without them because they have supported me through some major challenges in my life.

And it's funny you mentioned tapping because that is something I knew nothing about until last April, right after we all went into lockdown. I found a YouTube channel by a woman who lives in Spain, who practices tapping. And I have to say that almost immediately, I could feel the positive effects of tapping after I started practicing it on myself. In fact, it's a practice that I do each every day, and sometimes periodically throughout the day.

I've met many people who scoffed at alternative therapies; believing they're nothing but "a waste of time." But I truly believe in their ability to be extremely helpful. And I've seen proof they they do work.

As I shared, alternative therapies have helped me tremendously throughout my life; particularly during this last year. They have helped me move through it, stay sane, and see what I needed to learn from it, by changing my perception.

Thank you so much for sharing this post. I briefly clicked over on the link you shared on Steve Washington (and bookmarked it). Later today I plan on watching the video.

Have a superb week, buddy!

P.S. love your reference to the "elegant mansion."
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, how's it going?

I'm so glad you discovered tapping! Isn't it amazing? I tell people that it may look strange but it can be so beneficial.

And, frankly, I don't do it enough, so thanks so much for the reminder!

People can scoff at these various techniques all they want, but if nothing else, they can all point your mind in a healthy direction and that is the first step in healing.

And I appreciate your point about these therapies becoming even more important during the last year.

We're all marooned in our homes thanks to this hideous disease and we're going to do a lot to help ourselves during the difficult times that lay ahead.

Thanks so much for stopping by, buddy! Have a great week!


Bijoux said…
Wow! I’ve learned so much from this post. I had no idea that there were 2000 acupuncture points or that they had such colorful names. I’m not an alternative therapy person, but if it helps someone, then it works in my book! I have a friend who had debilitating migraines and acupuncture cured her. Made me a believer!
Rob K said…
Hi, Bijoux.

I just learned about the 2,000 acupuncture points myself. And I do love the names!

That's an amazing story about your friend and I'm so glad the acupuncture cured her migraines.

I once met a man who ran a clinic that specialized in acupuncture and other kinds of treatments and he preferred the term "complementary" treatment as opposed to "alternative," which made it sound like one had to chose between conventional medicine or more off-beat methods.

He said these other treatments should be employed in addition to regular medical procedures; not as a replacement. Sounds good to me.

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’