Park Shadows

I was working out in Bliss Park one recent morning when I felt a presence behind me.

Oh, fabulous, I thought, a local loon is stalking me.

I had this problem before in June when I was shadowboxing in nearby Shore Road Park and a homeless woman sat down on a bench where I was doing my routine.

Bliss Park has a nice little plaza at the top of a hill that local theater companies have used to stage Shakespeare productions in the pre-Covid-19 days.

It’s also a great spot for a homemade workout—as long people leave you the hell alone.

I turned around and I saw an older Asian man, who was looking at me and gesturing at the ground.

“Clean up,” he was saying with some difficulty. “Clean up.”

Clean up what? We’re in the park, God’s sake, not the Vatican. Unless you work for the Parks Department, stop bugging me.

But then I recalled that I had overreacted when that homeless woman sat down on the bench.

I recalled the shame I had felt for being so thoughtless and I wanted to do better this time, so I subdued my inner crab and tried to communicate.

“You want to clean up?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“I need five more minutes,” I said, checking the timer on my smartphone. “Then I’ll clear out.”

He nodded and while I worked out, I could see him out of the corner of my eye sweeping up the plaza with a large tree branch.

In this time of fear, sickness, and death, with the economy tanking, businesses going under, and thousands of people losing their jobs, this man was trying to preserve a little bit of sanity.

Branching Out

I’m sure no one told him to go out and clean up the park. And I’m certain he wasn’t getting any money for his efforts. He was just doing it because he cared.

We’re living in age now where seriously deluded people are refusing to wear masks because they think their rights are being violated.

Nearly every day there are stories in the news about screaming matches, brawls, and even a murder because people are being challenged for not wearing a mask or refusing to practice social distancing.

The country is being overrun by anti-government, libertarian goobers who view the slightest inconvenience, the simplest request, as some kind of federal overreach.


It doesn’t matter that the science has proven them wrong on the mask and social distancing issues. They’ve got their rights. And as long as they persist, the coronavirus will continue to spread.

The timer went off my smartphone and I gathered up my gear.

I don’t have access to a heavy bag since all the gyms are closed, so every now and then I like to take an old pair of boxing gloves and workout on one of the lampposts in the park.

Yes, I know this is insane, but we’re living in an insane time. I don’t hit the lamppost full blast, of course, but I want that feeling of contact that you don’t get from shadowboxing.

I looked up and saw Mr. Clean-Up approaching me with my face mask hanging from a stick. I had left it on the bench and he was very kindly returning it to me.

This is one my back-up masks, a cloth one I wear just to the park and back. I wouldn’t miss it, frankly, but I was grateful for his kindness.

When I was done abusing the lamppost, I gathered up my gear and walked through the plaza. It was spotless, with no sign of dirt, dry leaves or litter.

I looked over to my new friend and smiled beneath my mask.

“Great job,” I said, giving him a thumbs up.

I’m glad I kept my temper in check and let this man do his work. And I wish we had more like him.


Comments

Ron said…
Rob, what a touching moment that you shared with us. And bravo to you for consciously catching yourself before you reacted. Your growth over this year has been so impressive because you're making amazing progress!!

This post also touched home for me because I too have been trying to change my perspective about things that normally annoy me, and I have to say that I've gotten much better. And I think because you and I live in cities, we have more constant interaction with people because we're living so close; therefore, people are constantly in our personal space, which can be annoying at times. I think this pandemic caused me to not only see myself differently, but also other people. As bad as many things have been because of COVID, I've been able to see what it's teaching me.

FABULOUS post, buddy! And thanks for sharing it! Have a great week!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, how's it going?

Thanks for your supportive comments about my progress! I really do want to change the way I look at life and clear out some of the negativity.

And congratulations on your own advancement! That's so great to hear.

You make an excellent observation about big city life being a factor in our respective short fuses. We're so close to each other that it's not surprising that we get very defensive and look to set up boundaries.

The pandemic is changing our perspective on what's important in life. I think it's great that you are getting lessons out of this and I intend to follow your example!

Thanks, buddy, and have a great week!
Ron said…
Btw, I forgot to mention in my first comment that I love the photo you shared at the top of this post of Gene Kelly. Which is so ironic because over the weekend I watched "Singin' In The Rain." He was such an amazing dancer! And so was Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds. Such a classic film!
Rob K said…
Thanks, Ron.

And "Singin' in the Rain" is a gem! I haven't see it in a while, so I think it's time for another viewing!
Bijoux said…
How incredibly kind of you to be so gentle in your actions with that poor man. You don’t give yourself enough credit, Rob!
Rob K said…
Oh, Bijoux, thanks!

I'm just glad I didn't overreact. This fellow was doing a good deed and he deserves the credit.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected