Stranger When Passing

“Obeying the ego leads to bondage; obeying the soul brings liberation.” --Paramahanasa Yoganada

When I was a child, my father liked to sing an old music hall number called “Abdul Abulbul Amir.

Written in 1877 by the Irish songwriter Percy French, the song tells the story of the eponymous Amir—“bravest by far in the ranks of the Shah”--and a Russian soldier named Ivan Skavinsky Skavar, bravest of the troops led by the Tsar—who fight to their mutual deaths in a duel that beings when one guy steps on the other guy’s foot.

It seems that Ivan, who had donned his most truculent sneer, started things off, whereupon Abdul informs him that “vile, infidel, know, you have trod on the toe Of Abdulla Bulbul Amir."

They both reach for their swords and they both end up dead, which I guess is supposed to be tragic, though, honestly, I'm not feeling it. If only they had Prozac back then...

I hadn’t thought of this song for decades until a recent incident at a local fruit and vegetable store brought it back to mind.

I’ve been going to this particular place on Fifth Avenue because I get a great deal on walnuts—an essential ingredient of my breakfast and thus worth the trip.

I used to stop there on Saturday mornings while coming home from the gym, which is nearby, but of course, Covid-19 blew that all to hell so now I hike up there on Friday nights after work.

On this one evening I was just walking out the door, lugging my groceries, when this guy came strolling in.

And he kept on strolling, straight through the door, as I were invisible.

He was yammering on this phone the whole time and, like far too many smart phone dumbasses, he was completely oblivious to the rest of the world.

I had to shift into reverse to avoid a collision—even though I was laden with packages--and he kept going into the store without acknowledging my existence in any way whatsoever.

With Murderous Intent

For all his talking, the schmuck never said anything vaguely resembling “excuse me” or “thank you.”

I wasn’t angry, so much as surprised. He didn’t seem belligerent or hostile, just willfully ignorant. But that’s a form of hostility, since you care so little about other people that you just barge right ahead and expect the rest of the world to step aside.

I was somewhat shaken as I walked up to Fourth Avenue. Am a I wimp? Did I back down from this guy? I’ve always had a problem speaking up for myself and drawing boundaries and this felt like a major failure in my efforts to make my feelings known.


But what to do? Crash into him and risk starting a brawl?

Given my age and (relatively) short stature, this would most likely not go well for me, unless I kicked him square in the whirligigs.

And then what? Run like hell and avoid that store and the whole area until the polar ice caps melt?

Senseless battles play out better in music hall ballads than they do in real life, where people tend to get killed, maimed, or jailed.

And when it's all over, instead of singing your praises, people shake their heads and think, “what a pair of idiots.”

Looking back, I think that I would been more satisfied with myself if I made room for the guy, but kept on going. I wouldn’t so much stand my ground as modify it—and then get on with my life.

We’re always going to have rude, insensitive people in this world and if you going to get into fights with them, you’ll end up becoming part of their tribe—if you don’t get shot first.

“Abdul Abulbul Amir” ends with a Muscovite maiden weeping as she keeps a lone vigil for the recently departed Ivan.

Sorry for your trouble, lady. Would you like some walnuts?



Comments

I made a policy a long time ago that, when I am driving and someone is tailgating me, I just pull over and let them speed by. No ego involved. It's a good place to get to, driving, walking, or otherwise. Good luck on your path.

Oh, I can still sing all 22 verses of Abdul Abulbul Amir at the drop of a hat.
CrystalChick said…
Paramahansa Yogananda knew some stuff, didn't he? Autobiography of a Yogi was a great read for me many years ago.
I buy a lot of nuts at Trader Joe's. Just had some pistachios this morning.
You're right... real life issues can get you in some major trouble, if you live to tell the tale. Better to move aside and forget the ignorant. Too many of them around to let them suck the good energy from you.
Happy Sunday! Have a great week, Rob!
Ron said…
"...though, honestly, I'm not feeling it. If only they had Prozac back then..."

Rob, that made me laugh out loud! Too funny!!

"But that’s a form of hostility, since you care so little about other people that you just barge right ahead and expect the rest of the world to step aside."

OMG, that is sooooooooooo true! And honestly, I have had that happen to me a lot. Maybe because we live in cities, where people are in close proximity. But I find that so many people are just totally ignorant to anyone else around them; especially when they're on their damn cell phones.

But I am so proud of how you handled this situation. You did AWESOME!!!

You and I seem to be learning similar lessons at similar times. But we're LEARNING them and growing.

Bravo to you!

Have a grrrrrrrreat week, buddy!
Rob K said…
@Walter:

That's a good policy, since people become absolute loons when they get behind the wheel.

22 verses?! Holy crap! Remind me to never drop a hat around you.
Rob K said…
@Mary:

I'm just scratching the surface with Yogananda but I love what I see.

Unfortunately, there is no Trader Joe's nearby.

Move aside and forget the ignorant! That's great advice!

Take care and have a great week!
Rob K said…
@Ron:

Hey, buddy, what's up?

Thanks for being in my corner. I'm glad we're walking on the same path. You're a great travel companion.

The cell phones are a large part of the problem. I only use mine when I can step aside and stand still. Honestly, it's not that hard.

But you can't freak out about this twits or you'll never enjoy your life.

Take care, Ron, and have a great week!
Bijoux said…
I had a similar experience at the grocery store a week ago. A woman was walking around without a mask and talking loudly into her phone. While I was in the checkout line, she backed in with her cart, still talking on her phone, and came within a few inches of bodyslamming me. This would have been obnoxious even pre-Covid. I exclaimed loudly, “Excuse me!” and she turned around and looked at me, apologized, and then continued on with her conversation. I was more than a little miffed that the cashier didn’t say anything, as there are multiple signs about keeping 6 ft apart,etc.

At least masks became mandatory a few days ago. Anyway, I think we are all on Level 10 right now, as far as stress.
Rob K said…

Hey, Bijoux:

That woman sounds like a real loser. And you're right: the cashier should have said something.

The cashiers at my supermarket have been pretty good about the social distance rules.

We could all use a break from the stress, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’