Ear and Now

I took a deep breath and focused on the words tattooed across the trainer's chest: "Death before Dishonor."

This was Saturday afternoon and I was standing in the football field at Fort Hamilton High School beneath a merciless sun trying desperately to avoid both as I did mitt work for the first time in months.

I did manage to duck the Grim Reaper, at least for the moment, so I guess one out of two ain't bad.

Exercise in the age of Covid-19 is a dicey proposition, given the potential for transmission.

But after months of shadowboxing alone in my living room, I wanted to hit something solid, and, well, it's been a long time.

After a few rounds of this torture I came close to hitting solid ground--face first.

"C'mon," my trainer said, "we gotta show these young whippersnappers a thing or two!"

Great idea, but at that moment the only thing I could show them was that getting older seriously sucks.

I just turned 63 years old, but this was the week that Father Time really wanted to rumble. I couldn't believe how anemic my punches were, how lousy my form was, and how the heavy big seemed to snort in disgust as I unloaded my pathetic combinations.

Okay, I can accept that I've gotten rusty since March and that it will take time to get back into shape. God knows I've been able to turn setbacks into comebacks in the past. And training outside in 80 degree weather probably wasn't best time or place to make my return.

But this was also the week my hearing aids finally arrived, another reminder that Old Man Time is still swinging away.

'I'll Box Your Ears!'

I would've been wearing them a lot sooner, having been diagnosed with hearing loss back in September, but the coronavirus put everything into a deep freeze.

And, to be quite honest, I was kind of hoping the hearing aids would never get here, even though I know that failure to use these things could tax my already overheated brain cells and lead to potential cognitive problems down the road.

Like pretty much every other in encounter in this time of the plague, my ear-ientation meeting (sorry, I couldn't resist that one) with the audiologist was conducted via online video and it got kind of weird as she guided me through loading up the batteries and putting the things in my head. ("Red is for right ear...")

The video portion came in fine, but the audio went adios for reasons I still don't understand, so the sound lady and I wound up looking at each other on the screen while talking over the phone. But I finally loaded up the batteries, looped them around earlobes and plugged them in.


Did the world change dramatically? Well, yes, it did.

Everything seemed to crackle: walking across the wooden floor of my apartment, opening a package, running water--every sound made me think of a fresh celery stalk being snapped in two.

The sounds felt artificial, like a dubbed foreign film. But perhaps that's only because I'm missing so much due to the hearing loss.

These things are small--not the disappear-into-the ear-model that I would have preferred, but small enough that the few people who have seen me have said they can't tell I'm wearing them.

Of course, they may be just trying to me make feel better. And the truth is that I have to wear these things, vanity and ego notwithstanding.

I haven't decided if I'll do another boxing session. I know the workouts will get easier, but I am concerned about the lack of social distancing. It's kind of hard to hit boxing mitts from six feet away.

But I feel like Father Time has got a real chip on his shoulder and I'm just itching to knock it off.

And if he does any trash talking, I'll just unplug my hearing aids.


Comments

Bijoux said…
It will be interesting to 'hear' your experiences while wearing the hearing aids. As I come from a long line of peeps with hearing loss, I have a feeling it will strike me, if it hasn't already. And yes, unfortunately social distancing is putting a damper on any form of non-solo fitness. I've started listening to podcasts while walking because of the lack of companionship.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux!

So far, I'm not liking the whole hearing aid thing, but then I don't think anybody does.

All I can say is get tested as soon as humanly possible, so at least you'll know the story. And here's hoping you don't need them just yet.

I'll probably skip the personal trainer. What's the point of getting a good workout if I have to worry about a potentially deadly disease?

Podcasts sound like a good idea. Maybe I should give that a try.

Take care and stay safe!
Ron said…
Rob, I freaking LOVE your post title. Brilliantly clever!

"my ear-ientation meeting "

OMG...I also LOVE that!!! LOL!

I am so happy to hear (get it? hear) HA! that your new hearing aids are working out well and that you can hear better. That's awesome! Yes, I bet after not hearing so well, hearing well now sounds almost overly-hearing. That's kind of how it feels when you first start wearing reading glasses and go, "OMG...I can actual SEE!"

And I was going to ask you if they were small and unnoticeable. They are, that's great! The way technology is today with things being made small yet powerful, it's not years ago when it was more obvious.

I bet you're loving this weather too! Actually, I'm enjoying it too. I've been spending some afternoons out in the park and feeding the squirrels.

Have a faaaaaabulous week, buddy!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, speak up, I can't hear you! :)

Just kidding! Thanks for stopping by and saying all these nice supportive things.

And you're quite right. There was a time when hearing aids were much larger, so I am thankful for that much. (and lots more!)

The weather is fabulous! I've been going out to my local park, sitting apart from people and actually taking off my mask! Feels so good to get some fresh air on my chinny-chin-chin!

Enjoy your day, buddy, and say hi to the squirrels for me!

I'm sorry for your diagnosis. And keep up that boxing! :-) I see folks round where I live who have already taken to the outdoors, now that restrictions are finally easing.

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
Great to hear from you, Mario! Hope all is well and please stay safe!
CrystalChick said…
You are amazing at bringing humor to these situations which must be so difficult. I want to laugh and cry all in the same post. :) It is very hard to know what is a necessary activity, when to be with others, etc. We're feeling it too. And my husband Ron has lost all hearing in one ear, and starting to experience less in the other due to tinnitus. The sounds that come with that... he tries to explain... clanging, screeching, whirring... it sounds positively maddening. He ordered a very expensive hearing aid and they tried to tweak it a few times, but he also has a severe wax problem so cleaning it all daily was such a task that he gave up and threw it back in the box. Just recently, he saw an ad for something much less expensive that has some sort of wax guard that might help with that issue. He's willing to try again, and waiting for it to arrive.
I hope your aid gives you good benefits and you get used to them.
Rob K said…

Hey, Mary, Thanks for stopping by!

I'm so sorry about Ron's trouble with the hearing aids. I hope the new ones work out well for him.

We're all feeling our way in the dark during this insane time. There are some basic steps--like wearing a mask, and washing our hands--but after that it's all hope and guesswork.

Not surprising, given that novel COVID-19 is just that--novel!

Take care and stay safe!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Land of Enchantment

‘Permanently Closed’