Pardon My Progress

I walked up to the ticket counter, took out my credit card, and pointed to the price list.

“One adult and one senior, please” I said.

The time was earlier this month and the place was the fabulous Norton Simon Museum in Los Angeles, where I was visiting my uncle and his wife.

My uncle had stayed home on this day, so it was just my aunt and me.

Now when I’m out with family, I tend to be the youngest in the crowd—unless my nieces are around, so I didn’t think there was anything unusual about my request until my aunt pointed to the price list.

“It says ‘Seniors over 62,’” she said.

Yeah, I know what it says. So?

And then everything stopped—except time. I turned 62 in May, so that means…I am now eligible for the senior discount?

In the immortal words of W.C. Fields, “Mother of Pearl!”

Don’t get me wrong: I’ll gladly take any discount I can get, but I’d rather take three decades off my age than 3 bucks off a museum ticket.

The sign was a little spooky, but the next day I found another message while accompanying my uncle on a trip to Home Depot.

While we were there, I picked up a pair of work gloves that I can use in my boxing class in lieu of hand wraps and I noticed a sticker next to the price tag.

“Now even stronger,” it said.

Yes, I may be eligible for the senior discount at the museum, but I’m no fossil. I'm stronger than ever.

One night we were having dinner at the grand Langham Hotel, a sprawling, century-old place with an incredible history.

While working by one of the conference rooms, I noticed a sign outside the door announcing that this particular room was closed for repairs.

Oh, yeah, I thought, it’s the standard “Pardon our appearance” sign. But it didn’t say that.

I looked again and saw that it actually said, “Pardon our progress.”

See that? The sign acknowledged the inconvenience of the construction, but it also declared that the shutdown was for a good cause: change, improvement…progress.

Sign In, Please

Imagine applying that concept to our own lives. We may not be perfect, we may not have achieved all our goals, but as long as we keep working at it, we’re making progress.

One day we were driving by a storefront church near my uncle’s home and I spotted what I think was the important sign of all.

It was just six simple words: Yesterday is heavy. Put it down.

That’s it. Two short sentences that can make life so much better if we just do what they say.

We’re coming up to a new year and I’ve been trying to monitor my thoughts more carefully, applying the old “detach and observe” routine that Fred the Shrink told me about.

I’m really shocked to see how much time I spend in the past—and not just the past, but the crappy parts of my history: old injuries, insults, mistakes, missteps and missed opportunities.


I’m either bemoaning the stuff in my rearview mirror or trying to revise it, never accepting the undeniable truth that the past cannot be changed.

It’s done.

I recently watched a sermon by Joel Osteen—I know a lot of people don’t like the guy, but good advice is worth heeding, no matter what the source.

The message was to use our energy for our destiny—not our history.

We need to drop yesterday’s heavy metal and devote our energy to reaching our goals.

“You can’t work on them both,” he said.

Of course, it’s easy to say forget the past. Phrases like “get over it” sound great, until reality steps up and hits you right between the eyes with a frying pan.

It takes work to change your thinking. It’s hard, it’s frustrating, and it can seem downright pointless some days of the week.

But signs can at least point us in the right direction. We try not to get lost, but when we do, we have to find our way back.

I saw one more important sign during my recent SoCal sojourn. While walking around The Grove shopping area, I came upon an empty store.

The sign in the window could’ve said “For Rent”, or “Under Construction,” or “What the Hell are You Looking At, Numb Nuts?” But it didn’t.

This sign had a message that I want to apply now and toward 2020, which is less than two weeks away.

“Something Wonderful Coming Soon,” it said.

Damn right.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessings for the Solstice, or whatever you celebrate.

Comments

Ron said…
"And then everything stopped—except time. I turned 62 in May, so that means…I am now eligible for the senior discount?

In the immortal words of W.C. Fields, “Mother of Pearl!”

HA! OMG Rob, I remember when that first happened to me because I had the same reaction. "Holy shit...I'm a SENIOR!"

I love the idea of a "Pardon our progress" sign. "We may not be perfect, we may not have achieved all our goals, but as long as we keep working at it, we’re making progress." Yes, you are absolutely right, we are making progress, as long as we keep moving forward. And it's also true about putting down the past because we can't change it. However, we can live in the present and use the past as a lesson.

Sounds like you had an inspiring trip in LA. That's AWESOME! Don't you love how by just changing your everyday view, you get a whole new perspective! And like the sign said, "Something Wonderful Coming Soon!"

Thanks so much for sharing your progress, buddy!

Wishing you a faaaaaabulous Christmas and a faaaaaaaabulous New Year!

Cheers!
Bijoux said…
First, let me compliment you on your observance of signs! And good signs, to boot! I love the idea of not carrying yesterday any longer. It's a visual I'd like to live by, because it sure is heavy.

Isn't it shocking to be eligible for a senior discount? Best Western discounts seniors starting at age 55, so I've taken advantage of that one twice. Hope you have a great Christmad and an even better New Year!
Rob Lenihan said…
Hey, Ron, you're the best!

And it's so funny that I'm seeing these signs--that really are signs!--on a trip that I really didn't want to take.
(I always feel guilty when I go on vacation--oy!)

It's always good to get out of your neighborhood for a while and expand your vision. I guess my subconscious was searching for some new programming.

Thank you so much for stopping by, buddy! I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a most beautiful and healthy New Year!
Rob Lenihan said…
@Bijoux--thank you!!

I really appreciate your support. And that past is indeed a heavy and toxic burden.

Wow, what's up with Best Western and that 55 senior discount??! That's too young, but then again, if they're offering, what the heck?

My best to you and yours for this season, Bijoux! Merry Christmas and a most blessed healthy and Happy New Year!
Jay said…
Oh, gosh, it is SO difficult to let the past go, isn't it? I suppose one of the reasons is that we know the past, we know what we did and what we said and the opportunities we messed up etc, but we can't see the future - we just have to trust that we can cope with it. We look at the mess we made of the past and we are afraid that we're going to continue to foul things up in the future, but we don't have to, and the fact is that as we age we're actually less likely to, because the past is there with all our experiences and successes and failures for us to learn from. And we do learn - some of us remarkably slowly, it seems to us - but we do learn. We remember, and we can change our responses. I can see from your words in this blog and in your past blogs that you do learn, Rob. You're a sensitive soul and you truly want to do things right, all the time. Being a simple fallible human, you can't get it right all the time, any more than any of us can, but you do your damndest, and that's all anyone can do.

In my humble opinion, you're doing a great deal better than many people - possibly most people. One of your greatest strengths is your self-knowledge and your honesty, but it's a double-edged sword. All you have to do is make sure you don't cut yourself with it. ;)
Rob Lenihan said…
Oh, Jay, your kind words put a song in my heart!

You've been such a blessing to me over the years and I'm so grateful that I "met" you!

Your comments always have such great insights and this latest one is a real standout.

We can indeed change our response and we can learn from our mistakes. It's just that going back to the past is so easy that we get caught in that awful time loop.

Thank so much for your love and friendship! I wish you nothing but the best of you and your loved ones in the New Year and for many years to come!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected