Claw of Attraction

And so, another birthday has come and gone.

I turned 62 Good-Jumping-Jesus-Years-Old on Friday and it’s time for some reflection.

This is a period when I ponder the important questions of life.

Why am I here? What is my purpose? And who threw the overalls in Mrs. Murphy’s chowder?

Then again, I could always say “fuck that noise” and go out and have a rip-snorting good time instead.

Well, I decided to choose Option B this year and I must confess Birthday No. 62 was a trip.

For some reason I was in a good mood this year and I resisted any and all attempts to deconstruct my senseless joy in the face of unstoppable decrepitude.

I decided to draw strength from a timeless source of wisdom: a fortune cookie from my local Chinese restaurant that contained a simple message: “The older the crab, the tougher his claw.

Now who could possibly argue with such brilliance? People keep telling me how crabby I am. Hell, I'm the crustacean sensation and I am going to skip sideways through life and claw my way to happiness.

I behaved like an absolute child on Friday, shamelessly telling everyone I met “It’s my birthday!”—including one of my sources in London whom I’ve never met in the real world. No matter: my birthday should unite the entire world

My most wonderful sister Joan took me out to dinner at a local Japanese restaurant and our dear buddy Maria joined us for a night of food, wine, and more wine.

On Saturday, me, sister, and auntie met up with my cousin and her husband for a trip to the Hudson Yards.

Crab & Go

I had been wanting to get over to this overhauled section of Manhattan which includes a shopping mall—big surprise--and the Vessel, this odd-looking monument with 154 interconnecting flights of stairs and 80 landings.

I should mention that I worked in this area in the early Eighties and again in the late Nineties and, as always, I’m stunned at how formerly deserted, seemingly forgotten parts of this city are reclaimed and revitalized.

The area and the nearby Highline were packed with people on Saturday, largely due to the holiday weekend and bolstered by the fact there are now actually things to see and do around there.

My cousin had gotten tickets to climb the Vessel and I confess that I was a little apprehensive as I have slight issue with heights. And when I say “slight issue,” naturally I mean a blinding, indescribable terror that defies all logic and sanity.


But I recently saw a couple of memes on Instagram that are worth repeating.

One says “everything you want is on the other side of fear,” while the other says “most of the stuff you’re worrying about won’t happen.”

Both of these little ditties came into play on Saturday. I quickly found that there was nothing to fear on the Vessel, as long as I didn’t look straight down. I’m glad I didn’t give into my fear and miss out on this experience.

Our luck held out when we were looking for a place to eat and stumbled across a great little Italian place called Tavola, where the gracious host seated us even though we didn’t have a reservation. This a real Italian restaurant with fabulous food in a great old timey setting.

The host was a real character who confessed that the reason he seated us was because he could tell my auntie was from Calabria--and our side of the family actually is from this part of Italy. How he could tell this about my auntie, who was born in America, I have no idea.

“You say ‘no’ to a Calabrese woman,” he said, blessing himself dramatically, “God help you!”

Now I’m taking it easy today. I’ve got the usual holiday weekend “To-Do” list, of course, but I think I’ll go to the park and enjoy the sun.

Even a crab needs some fun.

Comments

Happy birthday, old friend. I'll be joining you at what-used-to-be-retirement age in about four months and I hope to celebrate as enthusiastically as you did! Best wishes.
Rob K said…
Hey, Walter!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. "What-used-to-retirement age" indeed. Now, I think it's more like work till you drop.

Take care!
Bijoux said…
Wow! I'm impressed that you climbed the Vessel. I would be hyperventilating after the first section up! Good for you and that's so funny about the guy knowing your family was from a certain region in Italy.

Happy Birthday Weekend!!!!!!
Rob K said…

Thank you so much, Bijoux! Friends like you take the sting out of being so old!

Honestly, the Vessel looks scarier than it really is. Once you're climbing those steps, or standing on a ledge, it feels just fine. (Although I would avoid it on a windy day!)

And that restaurant host was a hoot!

Take care!
Ron said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROB! I'm a year ahead of you. Actually, more than a year because I'll be 64 in October.

Sounds like you had an AWESOME birthday too! Isn't the Vessel faaaaaaaabulous? I took a ton of pictures as I was climbing up. I too thought I would freak out about the height, but amazingly enough, I wasn't afraid once I started climbing. I too remember that area back in the 70's and early 80's. Hudson Yards looked totally different. It was so rundown and vacant.

So cool about the host at the Italian restaurant who KNEW that your auntie was from Calabria!!!

This made me laugh..."
“You say ‘no’ to a Calabrese woman,” he said, blessing himself dramatically, “God help you!” Because my father's side of the family was from Calabria and his mother was the "man" of the household, not my grandfather. You could NOT say no to her!

Hope you're having a fab Memorial Day. I sat in sun this morning at a nearby park and got a tan already. My first tan of the summer!

Have a great week, buddy!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, that's for the birthday wishes. Nice to know I'm not alone in the 60-plus crowd.

I was thinking about you during my Vessel ascent because I recalled your post about the time you made the climb. It's pretty crazy!

Yeah, I caught some rays today as well and the tan is kicking in.

And what's with these Calabrese women?!? I gotta watch my step...or, as my Italian grandma used to say, "keep two feet in one shoe!"

Take care, buddy, and have a great week!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected