Night Walker


My auntie shared such a lovely dream with me on Saturday.

She has been suffering with a bad hip for a long time now, so the simplest actions-like walking or standing, for instance-are now incredibly challenging.

But all that changed in her dream.

"I was walking," said my auntie, who will undergo surgery in the coming weeks. "I couldn't believe it. I told people around me, 'look, I'm walking!'"

It was so painful to hear this because she walks with such difficulty now. I can remember when she was hiking all over Manhattan, but now it takes her so long just to pick up the phone.

Dreams provide fertile ground for wish fulfillment, of course, which is all well and good until the cruel light of day breaks in and ruins the dance.

I wake up most mornings expecting to get up and walk around my home like I've always done and then I realize that I'm wearing these massive leg braces and that every single move has to be planned before being put into action-and that action has to be quite slow.

I'm feeling a little better, a relief from last week's abominable cold, although I'm still watching too much TV. I've also had all sorts of people visiting my apartment.

A physical therapist has been stopping by to work with my imprisoned legs; a home health care aid helps me with cooking and light cleaning, and a few nurses have come by to see how I'm doing.

Come On Up

I think I've had more people here than I've had since I moved into the place seven years ago. I've got a lock box hanging on the front door with a set of keys so people can come upstairs.

I remember when my parents had health care aids to help them around the house. I like to tell myself I'm not in their age bracket yet, but then I see this guy inching around the apartment with a walker or a cane and I start to wonder.


I've always talked about getting out more and I've done a fairly good job doing that-with the occasional wonton soup Friday night in front of the TV-but I really see how uptight I've been most of my life.

Whenever I go on a trip I'm always worried something bad will happen to me while off I'm in some distant location. Yet this accident is arguably the worst injury I've ever suffered, and it happened five blocks from my house while I was coming home from the supermarket.

I look back to when I first got hurt and I see how fearful I was. I couldn't imagine that I'd be able to walk up a flight of stairs, dress myself, or go to the bathroom without a nurse watching out for me. Yet I'm doing all these things now.

Once I'm free of these braces I really want to get out there more. Even if that means just walking up to one of the local bars to listen to the jazz band. It's better than hiding in my apartment.

I've threatening to take make a short film for decades now. Enough talking. Also, I'd like to take a stand-up comedy class. People tell me I'm funny. Maybe I should try being funny on stage.

It's time to do less dreaming and more living.

Comments

Bijoux said…
Don't be too hard on yourself. I think my spouse would never leave the house, besides work, if it weren't for me. I think it's natural to want to stay home and relax. Maybe it might help to write down some things you'd like to do when you are fully recovered. Keep on keeping on, Rob!
Rob K said…
Oh, thank you, Bijoux. That is fabulous advice! It keeps me focused on the future and my recovery!

Take care!
Ron said…
Rob, I LOVE Bijoux's suggestion about writing some things down that you'd like to do when you are full recovered because it will give you something to positive focus on, almost like a visualization that you want to manifest.

I've been doing this same thing about moving to New York at the end of the summer. Instead of focusing my attention on all the things I don't like about Philly and replaying them in my mind, I've been focusing my thoughts, feelings, and attention on what I LOVE about New York. And in doing this, I feel like I've got more energy to plan my move there.

You take care, buddy. And keep the faith!
Rob K said…
Wow, Ron, I really like your thinking on this.

You visualize where you want to be instead of being miserable about your current location. Brilliant!

Thanks so much for your support, buddy! You take care and I'll see you in the Big Apple!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected