My President

It's official--Barack Obama has been elected the next president of the United States.

I have never more proud of being an American than I am tonight.

Not only did we elected our first African-American president, but we're also pushing those horrible Bush year behind us, flushing them down the sewer of history where they so rightly belong.

I still can't believe it. I was so worried that John McCain and that card-carrying freak he chose--or was told to choose--as a running mate, Sarah "Winky" Palin, were actually going to steal the White House and continue the Bush nightmare of war, divisiveness, and lies.

I told my sister that if McCain had won, I would be calling her tomorrow from Canada (here I come, Jen!).

But it was not to be. Obama overcame the attacks on his family, his religion, his name, for God's sake, and yes, on his race.

These neo-clown sleaze bags had to hop through their own asses to keep from saying "don't vote for the black guy," but make no mistake, that's exactly what they were saying: "don't vote for the black guy."

They wrote books filled with lies about him. They actually criticized him for his overseas popularity, as if international respect is something to be ashamed of.

We heard bare-faced lies about so-called "real Americans" who wrap themselves in the flag as they wipe their rear ends with the Constitution.

Obama had an entire news network in the form of Rupert Murdoch's "fair and balanced" atrocity, Fox News, gunning for him, throwing out the Madrassa fantasy at every turn.

It was awful to watch John McCain degrade himself so thoroughly, signing up with the Karl Rove branch of the GOP and throwing mud when people wanted hope. He even hired on the same people who had slimed him in South Carolina.

And that ridiculous woman--God, what a monstrosity. I'm so glad that America said "thanks, but no thanks" to that imbecile.

I just listened to McCain's concession speech and I have to say that he sounded like the John McCain of old, the man I respected even when I didn't agree with him. It's a shame he didn't conduct himself with the same kind of dignity throughout his campaign. Who knows what would have happened?

But, no, he chose the dark side, so we had tales of Bill Ayers and Rev. Wright; feigned outrage about Obama's lipstick on pig remark that actually gained traction--until reality, in the form of the stock market meltdown--shook America out of her stupor.

These pathetic attacks have no meaning when people are terrified of losing their homes.

Horror stories about scary black reverends or old Sixties radicals are nothing compared to watching your retirement savings evaporate overnight. Joe the Plumber disappears when Fred the Repo Man shows up at your door.

President-Obama is speaking now as I write this. It's such a shame that his beloved grandmother could not be here with him to see this historic night. But our loved ones are always close even after they leave this world.

After all the celebrations, the new president will have his full. His supporters expect so much and we have this wrecked economy and two wars to contend with.

"We know the challenges tomorrow will bring the greatest challenge of our lives," he just said, and he's so right.

But that's for another time. Right now, it's time to rejoice. So, with apologies to James Brown, said it loud, Barack Obama is my president and I'm proud.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love your blog. This post was beautiful. Thanks.
Rob K said…
Oh, thank you so much. I was really inspired! :)
Calamity Jen said…
The American election got as much coverage in Canada as it did in the States. I was riveted to the TV on Tuesday night. Regretfully, I couldn't stay up late enough to see Obama speak, but I did see McCain's refreshingly classy concession speech. All the booing of his yahoo supporters just cemented my already negative opinion of those clowns -- except when they booed Caribou Barbie.

Continue to rejoice. The world isn't going backwards after all.
Rob K said…
Yes, there really is hope after all.
Anonymous said…
hi rob, your cousin here. we were very glad about barack. and relieved. met him when he was in santa fe in february and he began to win us over. however, we've never experienced such a bittersweet feeling as his triumph on the same night that the insanity of proposition 8 in california came to pass. two steps forward...one step back.
Rob K said…
Yes, Prop. 8 shows that we still have a long way to go.

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Enchantment

Missed Connection

Getting Connected