Shoe Fly

“When the shoe fits, the foot is forgotten; when the belt fits, the belly is forgotten; and when the heart is right, ‘for’ and ‘against’ are forgotten.” – Chaunt Tzu

When I was a child, my father used to take me to Marty’s Shoe store on Fifth Avenue each year for a new set of footwear.

I remember Marty and his employees as these kindly old guys—they looked old to me, anyway--who knew every single thing there was to know about shoes.

I’d sit down, get measured me up, do a brief walk up and down the store to make sure the shoes fit properly while my dad shot the breeze with Marty, and then we’d leave with a new pair of Stride Rites.

I’ll admit this is not the most exciting memory I could share, but these mundane recollections are becoming more important to me as the years go by and I realize how precious they really are.

I hadn’t thought about Marty until my favorite pair of walking shoes wore down to a Charley Chaplin level of disrepair and forced me out of my Covid-induced incarceration for a new pair of kicks and an important lesson in mindfulness.

I’ve tried to avoid brick-and-mortar shopping as much possible since the start of the coronavirus doomsday tour.

I limit my purchasing escapades to the essentials of food and clean laundry before racing back to my home for a round of manic hand-washing and the recital of a few thousand Hail Marys.

When my shoes started going south on me and my go-to response to any emergency—extreme denial—wasn’t helping any, I wasn’t sure what to do next.

I do not order shoes online. Maybe it’s the experience from Marty’s but I have to see, touch, and try out shoes in the real world before I shell out for them.

And I’m not about to get into a mail order hot potato contest with Amazon sending shoes back and forth until I get a pair that fits.

I wasn’t sure if any shoe stores were left in light of the wave of pandemic-sparked bankruptcies and store closings, but I managed to find one place on Fifth Avenue near my favorite vegetable store.

This corner hellhole was staffed by a strange little man who was talking to somebody on his cellphone in some language I didn’t understand while waving a pair of shockingly overpriced shoes under my nose.

Shoes for Industry

I don’t know what this fellow was saying to his friend, but I doubt that it had anything to do with customer service.

“I’ll be right back,” I said, lying through my facemask.

The next stop was a chain shoe store on 86th Street a few doors from the gym I have not seen since March.

If felt so strange being back here after 5 months and I didn’t try to count all the closed storefronts—I’m depressed enough already.

I could see the place was crowded, disturbing in these plague days, but I was stunned by the noise when I walked in.

The sound system was blasting to nightclub levels and I was tempted to remove my hearing aids to spare myself some agony.
Marty’s shoe store was as quiet as the library, for God’s sake, and we somehow managed to survive.

I was so miserable I wanted to run out the door screaming Marty’s name.

The music was blaring, people were shouting, thanks to the goddamn music, and no one seemed to give a rat’s ass if I ever got new shoes or not.

And then it happened.

I felt this sense of calm come over me as I just accepted the rotten situation. I didn’t force it, I didn’t order myself to calm down, which usually makes things worse; I just let it happen.

I’m sure this sudden clarity was a result of the meditation I’ve been doing each morning for years now.

It can quite challenging to focus on my breathing for 20 minutes, but I do experience these rare moments when my mind is clear, present and calm. And now it was happening under battlefield conditions.

I got my new shoes, bolted from the store, sat down on a bench and put them on. Oh, yes, these were just right.

I tossed my old shoes into the nearest trash can. It’s going to be tougher to throw out the old thought patterns but I taking a step in the right direction.

Comments

Bijoux said…
You brought back a childhood memory for me of getting measured at Lucky Shoes and going home with a new pair of Stride Rites or Buster Browns. Self service shoe shopping just isn’t the same.

I’m glad you were able to get in and out with new shoes and your sanity. It isn’t easy these days!
Your post suddenly reminded me of my trips to the shops with my mum. She used to take me at the beginning of the school year to get a new pair of shoes. Mine had to be orthopedic, though. :-)

Greetings from London.
Rob K said…
@ Bijoux--self-service stinks, but that's the way we're going, I'm afraid.

It's funny we have these memories of buying shoes.

Take care!
Rob K said…
@ Mario:

Great to hear from you! Yes, the beginning of the school year is that time for buying shoes for kids.

Take care!
Ron said…
Oh Rob, what a wonderful post! Me too! My father would take me and my brother shoe shopping in Philadelphia right before school started to get a new pair of dress shoes. We did the same thing around Easter. Easter shoes. HA!

"I’d sit down, get measured me up, do a brief walk up and down the store to make sure the shoes fit properly while my dad shot the breeze with Marty, and then we’d leave with a new pair of Stride Rites. "

OMG...don't you miss those days when you would get measured with that foot measuring device? Nowadays, you have to do everything yourself.

"I felt this sense of calm come over me as I just accepted the rotten situation. I didn’t force it, I didn’t order myself to calm down, which usually makes things worse; I just let it happen."

GOOD FOR YOU! I am sooooooooo proud of you!

You are doing so well, buddy!

Love this closing line..."It’s going to be tougher to throw out the old thought patterns but I taking a step in the right direction."

BRAVO!

Hope you had a great Labor Day weekend, Rob!
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron!

Yes, the beginning of school and Easter were the big shoe buying times back in the olden days.

I really feel I made progress here and I want to build on it. I can't thank you enough for your support and encouragement, buddy!

Take care!
What a memory, Rob, this post brought to me. I too recall going with my mother to a shoe store in Plainfield, NJ, to get measured for shoes. Back in those days it was "saddle shoes" black and white worn with a parochial school uniform and those shoes lasted the entire school year too because things were made better years ago! Years later, as an adult living in Somerville, NJ, there was also a shoe store that provided personal customer service down to the foot measuring, sadly it is now gone, but then me too. And, unbelievably now that I live in Nashua, NH, there's still a shoe store providing the same service. And, until 2 years ago it was located downtown! It's still in business, just relocated to a site that now has to be driven to but it's worth the trip for me and many others too. Should you ever want to experience that personal touch again, plan a trip to Alec's Shoe Store.
Rob K said…

Hi, Beatrice:

Thanks for sharing your shoe store memories!

I went to Catholic school in Brooklyn and I know the girls had to follow strict rules about what kind of shoes they could wear. (Patent leather was definitely out!)

It's amazing that you found a shoe store with the personal touch in Nashua--there's hope for society yet!

If I'm around there, I'll make sure to swing by Alec's Shoe Store.

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected