Census and Sensibility

The first U.S. Census began on August 2, 1790.

Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson had marshals take the census in the original 13 States, plus the districts of Kentucky, Maine, and Vermont, and the Southwest Territory, now known as Tennessee.

Nearly 200 years later, in 1970, my parents decided to make a little extra money by becoming census takers.

I was 13 years old at the time, and, while it’s all pretty vague now, I do recall my mom and dad had these plastic shoulder bags that bore the image of the American flag and the words “1970 Census.”

They called people at night and went to their homes to interview the more reluctant ones, and they’d bring home stacks of completed census forms.

Both my parents were in sales and they enjoyed connecting with people, so this was a good gig for them.

I hadn’t thought about that little bit of family history until last week when my doorbell rang just as I was signing off from work.

I rarely get visitors, even before the coronavirus shutdown, so my first impulse whenever I hear the bell ring is to snarl “who the hell is that?”, which is quickly followed by “what the hell do they want?”

Gosh, I’d make a great maitre d’, wouldn’t I?

I live in a third-floor walk-up so I always make a point of shouting “I’ll be right down!” down the stairwell before making my descent to the ground floor.

When I opened the door, I saw a masked woman with some kind of ID tag hanging around her neck. I hadn’t thought to put my mask on, so I used the outer door as a shield.

“Hi, I’m with the Census Bureau,” she said.

What is Person’s No. 1 name?

Oh, yeah. I recalled that a census worker—presumably this woman—had left note on the door a few days earlier saying she had stopped by and would return.

“Okay,” I said. “I just mailed in the form, but we can do this now if you want.”

“Yes, please…”

I learned that her name was Rosanna, she was originally from Brazil and now lives in my neighborhood.

She ran through a handful of questions, taking to time to compliment me on how young I looked for my age, so obviously she is now my new best friend.

Rosanna told me that a man had cursed at her and chased her away when she came to his house to interview him.

Sadly, this kind of behavior is not surprising in this demented day and age, when self-centered imbeciles refuse to wear masks in the middle of a pandemic because it somehow violates their rights.

I can attest to the fact that none of the questions she asked are challenging or revealing. It’s just a headcount, people. No one’s going to inject a microchip into your neck.

I’m almost certain my parents didn’t go through this kind of aggravation when they were census takers, but then that was a different time in America.

Of course, the census has always sparked controversy, even going back to 1790, when both Jefferson and President George Washington both expressed skepticism over the final count.

“Our real numbers will exceed, greatly, the official returns of them,” Washington said, pointing the finger at negligent census takers, “the religious scruples of some…and the fears of others that it was intended as the foundation of a tax.”

After the interview was over, I thank Rosanna for her time and told her to take care.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t have given this encounter a second thought, but it means so much now that we’re locked away in our homes, wrapped in masks, and forced to keep our distance from others.

Now it really counts for a lot.

Comments

Bijoux said…
I’m a fan of the census, being an amateur genealogist. What a wonderful tool we have. That’s a cool memory of your parents being census takers. I don’t ever remember anyone coming* to our door. We must have always had mail in. This year, I was able to complete it online.
Rob K said…
Hey, Bijoux!

Yeah, my folks actually did that. And, of course, back there was no internet, so you either mailed the form in or someone came to your house.

And you're so right, the census is a wonderful, too, no matter how much idiots try to politicize it.

Take care!
Ron said…
Rob, I filled out my mail-in census form months ago, but didn't know that they also had census takers physically come to you home. I don't think I've ever seen them here in Philly. That is so cool that your parents did that!

"Gosh, I’d make a great maitre d’, wouldn’t I?" -- OMG, that made me laugh out loud!!!

And good for you for being understanding and patient with Rosanna because I'm sure they get a great deal of rudeness directed towards them.

"I’m almost certain my parents didn’t go through this kind of aggravation when they were census takers, but then that was a different time in America."

Yes, you're absolutely right. Which reminds me of watching an old episode of "Dick Cavett," in which he was interviewing two very conflicted guests, yet you never once saw them attack one another in a nasty way. They were both were very stern in their views, but also respectful. I thought it hilarious compared to today's talk shows, where guests scream at each other and actually get up and walk off the show in a temper tantrum. HA!

Thanks so much for sharing this experience. As always, a lesson learned for all of us to learn from.

Have a grrrrrreat week, buddy!

P.S. Loved both your blog title post AND the photos you used!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, how's it going?

So glad you stopped by to read my ravings! Great observation about Dick Cavett. I remember his show very well.

He had some excellent guests and, as you say, the programs never devolved into the circus routines we have today.

And it's funny how that memory of parents as census takers popped back into my head. There were no online forms back then!

Thanks as always for your support, buddy! Take care and have a great week!

Hi Rob, I for one am thankful that the census has been taken. When I was trying to find information about my family, they proved not only helpful, but interesting. I learned that my grandparents home, the one I later grew up in was actually a boarding house. The names of boarders were listed as such on the census. I never recall census takers going door-to-door in our neighborhood. We received a form in the mail this year.

I agree with Ron about the fun photos in this post.
Rob K said…

Hey, Beatrice!

That's amazing that you learned so much about your grandparents' home from the census.

So glad you liked the photos!

Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected