Hole in the Sky

I got off the ferry this evening and saw a group of school kids gathered on the pier.

They were musicians who were taking part in the local 9/11 memorial services.

As I walked by them, a man who had been riding on the ferry with me stopped and nodded in their direction.

"They don't look old enough to remember 9/11, do they?" he asked.

"No, they don't," I said.

It's 18 years today when the World Trade Center came crashing down to earth, when fundamentalist psychotics crashed hijacked jetliners into the iconic buildings, destroying thousands of lives and ripping right through this nation's heart.

All that time gone by since I stood with the crowd across the street from trade center, outside the Brooks Brothers store, and watched the North Tower burn, and ran with everyone else
when the second plane crash into the South Tower.

All those years, all those people.

It was my father's 80th birthday and I always tell people how beautiful the day was--how the sky was so clear, and the sun was so bright.

And the day gets even more beautiful as the years go by and my mind keeps polishing the memory and removing the imperfections.

I find myself thinking sometimes that maybe that beautiful day was a warning, that something so stunning could never last, and would inevitably be followed by something equally terrible.

But then there were also incredible acts of kindness, which I experienced firsthand as I walked over the Manhattan Bridge with thousands of others, and we were greeted by people, just ordinary, regular people, who offered us bottled water and use of their cell phones.

A total stranger gave me and other stranded R train riders a lift up Fourth Avenue in his van after the transit system was shut down. Nobody asked him to do that, nobody paid him or countless other people for their tremendous efforts that day.

The Way Home

Of course I thanked that man as I was getting out, but I didn't ask his name and I can't even begin to remember what he looked like. I'm sorry I didn't stay in touch with him. I hope the last 18 years have been good to him and wish him all the best for the future.

When New York started climbing out of the rubble, the city started a free ferry service from Sunset Park and every morning I rode to Wall Street with the smell of the burned towers lingering in the air. It was a toxic mix of all sorts of foul materials and things I don't want to think about that is still killing people to this day.

I couldn't get to the 9/11 ceremonies this morning, even though I work a few blocks away from Ground Zero. But I did manage to go back to that spot where I was standing 18 years ago to say a prayer for those who died and those they left behind.


The Brooks Brothers store is gone now, the property is vacant, like so many locations in the area and throughout the city, and the Freedom Tower stands across the street.

At lunch time I went to Our Lady of Victory Church on Pine Street, where my mother used to worship over 60 years ago, to receive Communion and listen to a visting Russian choral group.

I woke up this morning with my usual list of grievances all ready to go, and I've been doing my usual nightly rant at my computer's excruciatingly slow response time.

I should be thinking about all those lives that were so brutally snuffed out, all the dreams that never happened, all the connections that were never made; I should be thinking about the survivors, living every single day with this agony.

It's embarrassing to write about this when I think of the real losses that the 9/11 victims families suffered and I have to keep chiding myself, schmuck, you're doing this today, of all days? Haven't you learned anything?

Apparently not, but then I have plenty of company. Other than getting used to standing in long lines at airports, I don’t think we as a people have learned a goddamn thing from 9/11.

We’ve had wars, more terrorist attacks, mass shootings, and a sickening rise in hate crimes. We have completely forgotten what this is all about.

Those young musicians I saw tonight have no idea what the Manhattan skyline looked like back in 2001, when you could see the World Trade Center from the 69th Street pier. Of course there are photographs, but they can't convey the sense of loss, how the attacks tore a hole in the sky that will be never be filled no matter how many Freedom Towers we put up.

9/11 is history to them, just like Pearl Harbor, which was a real and terrible event to my parents, was history to me.

I have no reason to think we'll improve, but still I hope that those young people grow up in a much better world.

I hope they turn from hatred and bigotry and, if the worst does happen, I hope they respond like a total stranger in a van did 18 years ago today.


Comments

Bijoux said…
Hearing stories like yours, about the kindness of strangers amidst the tragedy of that day, is about the only thing that gives me hope. Mr. Rogers was right about the helpers.
Jay said…
Rob, I think this was a perfect day for you to write this blog post. I agree with every word you have said. Even though I was not there, and am not even American, we can all relate to it because we've experienced our own disasters, our own acts of terrorism, our own losses - if not personally, then as a nation. I was in London three days after the terrorist attacks on the tube trains, and walked out of King's Cross station to see all the flowers at the entrance, laid in memory of the loved ones lost an injured, and later, past one of the great holes in the ground where the earth had collapsed over one of the sites. I found it terrifying enough just seeing the news at the time, and being in London to witness the aftermath so few days later. I stood and sent up silent prayers for the victims and their families, and the emergency services who had to deal with it. But you're right. We've learned so very little, with the anti-terrorist measures often serving to do not much more than make life difficult for people wishing to travel. I understand why these measures were put in place, but yet terrorist attacks still keep being perpetrated.
Rob K said…
Dearest Jay,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I remember watching the news accounts of the tube attacks and being horrified by the senseless cruelty. But then senseless cruelty seems to be the one thing human beings are good at.

The anti-terrorist measures are important, of course, but they don't address the mindset of the terrorists. I'm appalled by anyone who uses religion or any other bogus reason to slaughter innocent people. And I think we're getting worse.

Take care, stay safe and remember you always have a friend in Brooklyn.

Rob K said…
@Bijoux

Oh, thank you so much. I think it's these stories of kindness and bravery that keep us sane and give us strength.

Take care!
Ron said…
Rob, I remember when my friend Val and I came to NYC for the day and you took us to the spot (by Brook Brothers) where you stood and watched the horror of that day. I can't even imagine what that must have been like.

" but they can't convey the sense of loss, how the attacks tore a hole in the sky that will be never be filled no matter how many Freedom Towers we put up."

You're absolutely right. I think the Freedom Tower is beautiful, however, it will never replace Twin Towers because they were part of the NY skyline for so many years. They were a glorious landmark.

For the past several days, all I've been doing is weeping. Yesterday, I had to pull myself away from the 9/11 Memorial services because I couldn't stop crying. No matter how many years pass, it still feels like yesterday. In fact, with each passing year, I feel like the loss and pain of that day becomes more intense. I can't even imagine how the family and friends of those who perished that day feel. What grief they must feel.

I think because of how much I love New York City, I feel 9/11 as if I were a New Yorker.

I watched a documentary on 9/11 the other night, in which it focused on all the help and support that was shared not only that day, but for weeks and months afterward. The love and kindness that came from people (not only in the US, but all over the world) was incredible.

It really showed the "best" of people.

Thank you for sharing this post, buddy. Please give my love to New York!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, New York sends its love right back to you!

Thank you so much for these powerful, heartfelt comments. I remember when you and Val came here as well--it was a very special afternoon.

The Towers were indeed a glorious landmark. I'm sorry for the pain you've been experiencing, but it shows how big your heart is.

That 9/11 documentary sounds really powerful. I'll have to check it out.

Take care of yourself, buddy!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

Getting Connected

‘Permanently Closed’