Rather Knot

The heavyset woman walking toward me Saturday morning had a message on her tank top for all the world to see.

I’d rather be sleeping, it said.

I knew the feeling. I wish I could’ve stayed in bed myself, but I had someplace to be.

I had volunteered to conduct podcast interviews for the IFC’s Festival of Cinema, which was being held in Forest Hills, Queens, a grueling 90-minute subway trip from my home in Bay Ridge.

I did the same thing last week and it was an exhausting day that completely upended my precious little weekend schedule.

But it was also a terrific experience where I met and worked with fabulous, talented people, and got a chance to expand my interview skills by speaking with filmmakers on camera—something new for this old print and website reporter.

And this all happened because I ignored that “rather” that told me to preserve the status quo at all costs—even though it was doing absolutely nothing to improve my life.

I’ve been doing an inventory of my “rathers” and I find there’s a dark branch of that family that can hold us back if we’re not careful.

Now, like every other working person on earth, I’m pretty tired when I get home at the end of the day.

Yeah, I’d rather sit in my living room and watch Netflix all night and then go to bed. But then what happens to that next book I want to write? Or the play that’s forming in the back of my mind and demanding attention? Or those scripts sorely in need of revision?

By Bread Alone

I’ll tell you what happens to all those projects—nothing, that’s what.

I recently went diet after I noticed some scary numbers popping up my scale. I did a quick recon of both my diet and my brain and I saw that I eating far too many carbs, subconsciously deciding that I had to have bread at every meal as if it were some papal bull.

Oh, it was bull alright, straight up bull that had me struggling to zip up my pants.

Yeah, I’d rather have all that bread, cheese, and bananas anytime I wanted, but I was unhappy with the extra weight. So, I ignored that rather as well, and that little bulge around my gut is nearly gone and now I can slip into my pants with the greatest of ease.

It’s important to be realistic about your efforts. I don’t lie to myself and loudly declare that I don’t miss bread. I do miss it and I miss snacking between meals and I miss stuffing myself with pasta.

But I don’t miss that gut and that realization has been keeping me out of the kitchen after dark.

I’d rather stay home and watch TV on weekends. I’d rather be alone than meet new friends or have a serious relationship. These rathers may be satisfying an immediate desire, but they also suffocate long-term, and long-lasting goals.

Certainly, there are good rathers that apply to the kind of work you do or who you want to spend your life with. These are perfectly acceptable—as long as they help you grow.

I finally got to Forest Hills on Saturday and I had a blast, conducting two interviews, chilling with my friends, and exploring a new neighborhood. I was tired and a bit cranky by the end of that long day, but I’m so glad that I ignored the message on that woman’s t-shirt.

Comments

Bijoux said…
It's so much easier to be complacent, isn't it? Nice work on making the trek and I'm glad that it was a success!

And yes, we all miss bread!!! LOL
Rob K said…

Oh, thank you so much, Bijoux! You've been posting all of your adventures on your blog and you inspired me to get out there and live!

That subway ride was brutal, but not as painful as giving up bread!!

Take care!
Ron said…
"... expand my interview skills by speaking with filmmakers on camera—something new for this old print and website reporter."

That's AWESOME, Rob! I've always had a secret desire to have my own TV show where I interviewed people, like a talk show host. Kinda like Dick Cavett!

And speaking of CARBS...OMG, I love them too! If I could live off pasta, bread, cheese, would. Aren't carbs the best? But I have to say that over the past three months, I've cut back on the amount of bread and pasta I eat, and I can honestly feel a difference in my gut. I don't feel as bloated as I used to. Also, I've been taking probiotics once a day for the past several months and those too have helped my stomach. They are kinds of expensive, but to me they're worth it because my intestines feel much better.

Glad you ended up having a great time in Forest Hills. Isn't change great? It makes you feel renewed!

Have a super week, buddy!
Rob K said…

Hey, Ron, what do you say?

Renewed! Yes, exactly, what a perfect word to describe this adventure! I was just thinking how strange it will feel on Saturday when I don't have to go to Forest Hills!

I'm glad you're a fellow carb-o-holic, so you know where I'm coming from. I love all those evil foods, but it's good we're both cutting back on that stuff--we can support each other!

Good idea with the probiotics. My sister has been telling me to do this for years. Maybe now time's to start.

And I'd love to see you interviewing people--Dick Cavett, watch your ass!

Take care, buddy!
Jay said…
I'm going to try coming off carbs for three months and cutting calories generally (the Blood Sugar Diet). I have no idea how i'll do. I'm not addicted to sugar, but carbs, yes. I don't feel a meal is complete without them - even my salads have to have potatoes in them! Kudos to you for cutting them down and getting rid of the extra pounds.

And good for you for giving yourself a kick in the backside and overcoming the 'rather nots'. I knoW that's not easy.
Rob K said…

Hey, Jay, best of luck with the calorie/carb cutting. I know you can do it!

I know all too well that feeling that a meal is not complete without carbs. But it's a myth!

Thanks so much for your support--now it's your turn!

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected