Ferry Tale

Every morning I set sail for adventure.

Actually, I’m just taking a ferry from my neighborhood in Bay Ridge to Wall Street, but it sure feels like an adventure compared with the other ways of getting around this town.

I recently started a full-time freelance gig at TheStreet.com, where I worked a decade ago. After two years of working from home, I have to get reacquainted with the daily commute.

Now I love the X27, the express bus that stops just around the corner from my house and gets me to Manhattan in the kind of comfort and speed that can never be found on the subways.

The only problem is that at $6.75 a trip, the express bus can be extremely expensive. I don’t want to hike 15 minutes to the nearest train station and subject myself to the infuriating R train experience, so what’s a thrifty commuter to do?

We’ve had the ferry service in Bay Ridge for a few years now and I’ve taken it to downtown Brooklyn several times during the summer to enjoy this funky area.

But take a boat to work? Do I look like freaking Popeye to you?

Well, I may not have his taste for spinach, but I do like taking the ferry to the office. It’s the same price as the subway, minus the misery. And I get this fantastic view of the city just as the sun is rising.

I feel like I’m traveling through time, back to the days when boats and ships were a prime method of transportation. Of course, riding around in an air-conditioned ferry for 38 minutes doesn’t quite compare to taking off for the unknown in a wooden sailing ship, but I’m having fun.

Shoving Off

Coming into the Red Hook stop, I look for a certain church tower that stands out against the sky and it seems like I’m visiting a 19th Century fishing village.

At the Atlantic Avenue stop, I can get a clear view of the Williamsburg Savings Bank building straight up the street.

And at the DUMBO stop, I always look up to the clock on top of the old Jehovah’s Witnesses Watchtower building.

When I get off at Wall Street, the city is slowly coming to life. The other day I saw a maintenance worker raising the New York State flag outside one of the office buildings.


And then I walk up the street and I feel like that sailor in the Old Spice commercial from the Seventies. Only I’m not tossing around bottles of aftershave.

Now I do have to get up earlier to catch the ferry, since the next one on the schedule will get me to the office just a little bit too late. But it’s a small price to pay for such a convenient ride.

The other morning I stood beneath the overpass on 69th Street to shield myself from the wind and I took a moment to relax and be thankful.

Yes, most of my big dreams still remain dreams, and my career path is still a bit cloudy, but I’ve got a place to work and I’ve an excellent way of getting there.

I can’t wait until the warmer weather, when I can sit outside and enjoy the sun as I go to and from work.

And when winter returns and the freezing winds become too much for me, I can always rejoin the landlubbers on the bus.


Comments

Bijoux said…
Congrats on the new job! Are some of your old co-workers still there? Taking the ferry to work sounds like a great experience, as long as the weather is decent. And there's nothing like the NYC city skyline! A great way to start the day. Spring is just around the corner for us as well.
Rob K said…

Thanks so much, Bijoux!

It likes like a pretty new crew, though I know the new editor from a different job. The skyline is incredible and you're so right--it's a great way to start the day!

Take care!
Ron said…
"And then I walk up the street and I feel like that sailor in the Old Spice commercial from the Seventies."

HA! Rob, I loved that because I for one, definitely remember those Old Spice commercial and that sailor. In fact, my father wore Old Spice after shave.

I use to love taking the ferry (Staten Island) when I lived in NY because I knew several people who lived on Staten Island. They were actor friends of mine who rented apartments there. While on the ferry, I used to enjoy looking back over to Lower Manhattan because the view was spectacular!

You're right, $6.75 adds up very quickly. Glad to hear that you've got another mode of transportation to get to work. And I'm sure the ferry is less stressful and crowded.

CONGRATS on your new work gig, buddy! Bravo!

Have a super week!
Rob K said…
Hey, Ron, what's up?

Yeah, I figured you'd remember that Old Spice commercial. It's a classic. And my dad wore Old Spice, too! (I think most of the men from that generation did!)

The Staten Island ferry is a great ride. I knew a tour guide who would advise visitors to New York to ride the ferry and take photos of the Statue of Liberty from there because you get an excellent view. This was important for people who couldn't wait for hours on Liberty Island.

Wish me luck on the new gig, buddy, thanks for stopping by, and take care!

Popular posts from this blog

Land of Enchantment

Missed Connection

Getting Connected