Stent Man

“You could leave life right now. Let that determine what you do and say and think.”— Marcus Aurelius

I thought I would be home in a couple of hours.

I was certain the doctor would tell me there’s nothing wrong, that the cardiac catheterization procedure I had to endure on Thursday would show that I was in tiptop shape, and I could go forth and live a happy life.

It didn’t exactly work out that out.

I was stretched out on a table in NYU Langone, my right hand strapped down, while a surgeon inserted a miniature camera into my wrist and through my arteries to get a live picture of my heart, which appeared on a widescreen TV in the operating room like a hockey game in a sports bar.

The surgeon had advised me prior to the procedure that if he found any serious blockage, he’d have to put in a stent, but I knew that was ridiculous. I work out regularly, I watch what I eat. I’m in the clear.

And then he poked his head out before behind a protective screen.

“When you work out, do you get really tired?”

“No.”

“Do you have trouble breathing?”

“No, I don’t.”

He disappeared behind the screen and a few moments later he was standing next to me, saying that there was “significant blockage” of my arteries, and that he would indeed be putting in a stent.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. How was this possible? I know I’m not young—67 years old in May—but I like to think of myself as an energetic senior citizen. But suddenly I was feeling like a sickly old man.

My sister very kindly came down to keep me company through this day-long ordeal, which saw us stuck in the hospital until 6 pm.

The scary thing is that I had come so close to scrubbing this procedure.

What, me, worry?

My blood pressure was good, I had passed the stress test with flying colors; my cardiologist liked the results of my recent echocardiogram--why drop all this money on some test that will tell me the same thing?

But my doctor thought I should go through with it, and, since I trust the guy implicitly, I agreed.

Thank God I did.

I spoke with him on Friday, and he assured me I can live a normal life, but I’m not feeling that right now.

He was more upbeat, reminding me that the problem had been caught in time, and I’m trying to focus on that very important fact, but it’s been difficult.

I’m out of the gym for at least a week and I want to review my routine with my doctor before I return. I canceled plans to go out on Saturday night because I was tired and depressed, and I wound up watching TV myself. Sounds familiar…

I’m on blood thinners now and that’ll be for at least a year and maybe for life. Of course, I knew there would come a time when I would be taking some kind of meds, but I had hoped that it would be much further down the road.

And there’s the inconvenient reality that my hostility and anxiety played a role in all of this—how much I don’t know, but all my impatience, furious overreactions and ruminating about the past is no one’s idea of good medicine.

My doctor said there are several factors involved here, but he did agree that anger is one of them.

I’ve taken to examining my thoughts and reactions lately and asking myself a simple question: is this good for my heart or bad for my heart? If the answer is yes, fine, but if the answer is no, then cease and desist.

It’s officially spring, today is Palm Sunday, and Easter is a week away. This is normally a very happy time of the year for me, but all I can muster is some cautious optimism.

I’m due to meet my cardiologist on Thursday.

Let’s hope I get some good news.

Comments

Bijoux said…
That must have come as quite a shock, considering your other tests looked normal. I’m sorry you had to go through all of that, but it sounds like you’re on the road to recovery. Sometimes I think you can’t outrun genetics, as much as we try. Have a relaxing, peaceful Easter, Rob.
All the best to you, old friend. Stay the course.
PCK said…
Oh my gosh... this is you? How scary and I sure hope everything sounds good on Thursday! Take care of yourself. That heart needs to keep beating for a long, long time! ❤️❤️❤️
Rob Lenihan said…
@PCK Thank you so much, that is so kind of you!
Rob Lenihan said…
@Walaka of Earth 2

Thanks so much, Walter!
Rob Lenihan said…
@Bijoux

It was indeed a shock, but I've got to get over this fear and live my life. Blessings to you and your family and have a Happy Easter!
Jay said…
Well thank goodness you didn't cancel! And thank goodness that heart medicine has come on a looooong way since we were kids. I understand the disbelief and depression, I really do, and I also understand that just telling yourself not to worry or not to get angry isn't going to cut the mustart. I can't remember if you meditate but that is incredibly calming and might be worth a try if you don't already do it. I'm waiting for a heart monitor, and I can tell you that I am also depressed and anxious, and also convinced that they'll say there's nothing much wrong! It's a form of denial, I know that. I also know that I'll go into a tailspin if they say I need surgery, but that it will probably save my life if I just get on with it, so well done for that, Rob. You can indeed lead a normal life after this. Believe what they tell you. ;)
Rob Lenihan said…

oh, Dearest Jay, I'm so sorry about the heart monitor. I'm sending you all kinds of love and healing energy!

I meditate every morning and while I do enjoy it very much, I see now that I rarely carry that sense of peace with me throughout the day.

It's like the timer goes off and I go back to my old hostile self. That has to change.

Meanwhile, please take careful of yourself and know that I am praying for you!

Beatrice said…
I am a bit late in blog reading this post, Rob, but it was as much a shock to me, more to you of course, to read about all the good things yo sure doing snd not feeling then to read about the stent insertion and the ramifications. Certainly, I can understand how much of a shock something like that would be if hearing it myself. Your decision to cut down on the anger and ask yourself that questions sounds like a good one, my friend. t's good to read that your sister was with you and I hope you will be feeling better. Happy Easter greetings to you as well.
Rob Lenihan said…
@Beatrice

Hi, Dorothy, so great to hear from you.

Yes, this was a bit of a shock, but I'm going to do everything I can to enjoy my life.

This test was a gift from God that alerted me to a very serious problem and the stent is intended to fix that problem.

Happy Easter!
Jay said…
Thanks, Rob. That's good to know.
Perhaps try a ten minute meditation at lunchtime as well? Or later in the day? I use an app called Calm, and they do a Daily Calm, which is just ten or eleven minutes, and very useful. Different topic each day at the end for you to think about.
Rob Lenihan said…
Hey, Jay, meditating twice a day sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connection

‘Permanently Closed’

Getting Connected